new install looking for someone to jump in chat room with me

Status
Please reply by conversation.
There are no stupid questions here. Just stupid answers.

Everyone one here has Directv. Some are Directv staff. Some are current or former installers.

Tell us where it hurts.

Joe

wow just had a nice message typed out but clicked something than it was gone.. blah my head is spinning with all this. lets try again..

I worry cause i have always been with comcast( dis like them very much) and i hear all this talk about rain and snow being bad for mini dishs with those things and here in Minnesota we get alot.

I want a good install done right and not sure how or what a good install even is cause i have never had sat before. any tips?

How do i go about getting the best deal? can i talk them down or anything?

How does referral work? I dont know anyone that has directv but i am sure i can find someone. does it give me 10 bucks off a month and than if i refer anyone i get another 10 off?

lets see.. I feel i have more but thats a start.

I worry cause i have always been with comcast( dis like them very much) and i hear all this talk about rain and snow being bad for mini dishes with those things and here in Minnesota we get alot.
Know that cable companies depend on satellite reception for their systems. They remove the snow and wait for the weather to change. For the DTV & DISH eq the best way to deal with northern winters is to be able to broom or melt the snow off the dish....takes a lot of snow to mess things up anyway

I want a good install done right and not sure how or what a good install even is cause i have never had sat before. any tips?
How do i go about getting the best deal? can i talk them down or anything?

Find a local Directv retailer. Post your town & zip code here. If you order on line you will get the installation company Directv is using in your area. Go to the Directv site for pricing and to select programming. There will be some free stuff at first. There will be a two year commitment. Their whole contract is posted on the Directv.com site. Don't worry too much about the installation...most go in ok. Line of Sight (LOS) to the satellite and landlord permission (if needed) are the first things to sweat a little. There is a credit check but they have many programs. You will need to identify yourself and your address to order.

Try this http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/findRetailer.jsp?assetId=1400028

How does referral work? I don't know anyone that has Directv but i am sure i can find someone. Does it give me 10 bucks off a month and than if i refer anyone i get another 10 off?

Use the referral deal another way....find someone who has Directv near you and try their system. If you still want to proceed you will need their account number when the system is activated (turned on) and the money should flow. AFTER you are a customer you can refer others. If you use the referral deal the retailer you find may not be able to do your installation. Find a local retailer and see what he can work to balance the referral and demonstrate the system.

Others will have other suggestions.

How many TVs will you want connected?........recorders? ........... HD equipment?........How much do you want to spend each month?.......What special interest channels do you just gotta have?..........Is there a nearby Directv dish you can use to judge where your dish will need to point?

Joe

Last edited:
wow thanks for your time Joe. i will look at neighborer house tomorrow when there is light out to see what way they are pointing but i am sure i will be fine there. i need 4 tvs hooked up they all are hd but 1, for sure i want one hd dvr and than at least whatever box i need(believe its an hd box) for the whole home dvr thing that will go on the standard tv and 2 other boxes. more HD the better. cheaper the better i was looking at doing choice xtra package. not really looking for anything other than whats in that package at this point. the less i spend the better i am getting married soon and its already putting a large dent in my pocket.

I live in Fridley, mn zip is 55432.

few post i have read said use the dishstore.net

so with the referral i should wait til after i get installed to tell them oh hey "joe" referred me?

from the directv website i found

DIGITAL MEDIA GROUP
261 COMMERCE CIRCLE SOUTH
FRIDLEY, MN 55432
(763) 792-0079

what do you think?

also do i want to pay extra for protection plan from directv for 6 bucks or whatever?

from the directv website i found

DIGITAL MEDIA GROUP
261 COMMERCE CIRCLE SOUTH
FRIDLEY, MN 55432
(763) 792-0079

what do you think?

also do i want to pay extra for protection plan from directv for 6 bucks or whatever?

Yes, I would start the conversation with them. The protection plan can be good. Know that there is a warranty on the equipment for the first ninety days ( I think) and the installation...which will be basically free has a guarantee of sixty days or maybe ninety days...... so the first three months are a little of an overlap with the protection plan.

With the number of receivers and HD recorders you are planning it couldn't hurt. Those things...which are leased...can be expensive.
There are monthly charges for each receiver above the firstone. The HD & recorder charge are per account regardless of number of boxes. There is some talk of Free HD. Don't know about it.
Another thought regarding the equipment. They will install up to four receivers free if done at the time of the initial installation. You can add or subtract equipment in the future but if you add one box at a time there will be charges for each additional installation visit after the first one. With the right cable plan you can run the whole house from one box. Just something to think about.

If there is currently any cable installed in your house now you want to examine it. Installers will use existing cable but if you suspect it has been damaged or is rg59 (older style) you want to plan to get it replaced....that will be free with the installation but running cable inside walls and some other things have extra costs.

At installation you will need to provide access to the TVs and places they will want to run cable or set up the dish.

The retailer you found and you also can use dishpointer.com to study your property for line of sight planning over the phone.

Again, with the referral...run that by the retailer. Stuff changes all the time and I don't keep up with current deals. Retailers do.

Report how it goes.

Joe

Last edited:
I was in the CHAT room for an hour waiting for you (last night), but no reply came so I left ....
You were logged on as was I, so, I don't know where you went, but, I tried....

thanks pal yeah i left my computer on over night i cant change the heading for the post.

Iand i hear all this talk about rain and snow being bad for mini dishs with those things and here in Minnesota we get alot.

Well, not to say you may never get rain or snow fade, but I think the extent of it is usually exaggerated by the cable companies. I've had DirecTV for 12 years and rain fade is minimal and not really an issue. As for snow, I've said in other posts that I've never had a problem. Here were I live, in upstate NY, since Sunday we've had 3-1/2 feet of snow and I my signal is still great.

Having said all that,it wouldn't hurt if you put your dish in a location that's reasonably accessible in the winter, just in case.

if you want to do the referel, you must call the special number from the directv website/ads.
it has to be done prior to install
if you wait until install or after, then you will not get it (i just went though this)

but if you use dishstore they did have a $100 mail in rebate, so its the same but in one check.
took less then 2 weeks to recieve also.

Rain/Snow is not a huge issue. Keep in mind the HD channels are more susceptible of rain/snow. It takes a big storm to knock out your standard picture.

As far as quality of the install, if you get a pole mount, make sure at least 80lbs of concrete is used (150lbs is require,but rarely done) and the pole is at least 3' in the ground. If you do a standard mast mount, like to a roof, make sure its place on a solid surface. If you can't see that its placed on something like a 4x6, then dont hesitate to get up on the roof or wherever and make sure its mounted securely. Make sure it is not wobbling or feels weak. If its placed on the roof and not secured to a rafter, it will cause you problems later

The receivers require a certain threshold when it comes to signal quality before it activates, so rest assure when the tech leaves, it will be pointed to a high standard. As far as the rest of the install, its up to you on what you expect. Make sure no switches or splitters are in direct contact with weather and make sure its grounded.

Refer a friend gives you $100 to you AND your friend as $10.00 bill credits for 10 months.

Order either from a local retailer or directly from DirecTV. The advantages of a retailer is they offer a 1 year full warranty and new equipment. From what I understand, they are doing the refer a friend credit too. Go with the retailer who is most knowledgeable. If they are not familiar with refer a friend and other promos, i would be aware of shoddy work.

The advantage of going with DirecTV directly is that you definitely get your refer a friend credit and they offer free 6 room install (not 4!!). Retailers can not offer 6. Keep in mind that is 1 Free HDDVR and 1 HD and 4 standard. To sub out standard for HD cost $100.00 per receiver.

I can't think of a reason to go with Dishstore over a local retailer. Also, i believe the $100.00 credit only applies to the top package (check on that).

Iand i hear all this talk about rain and snow being bad for mini dishs with those things and here in Minnesota we get alot.

Well, not to say you may never get rain or snow fade, but I think the extent of it is usually exaggerated by the cable companies. I've had DirecTV for 12 years and rain fade is minimal and not really an issue. As for snow, I've said in other posts that I've never had a problem. Here were I live, in upstate NY, since Sunday we've had 3-1/2 feet of snow and I my signal is still great.

Having said all that,it wouldn't hurt if you put your dish in a location that's reasonably accessible in the winter, just in case.

Amen,
Can't believe all the people that OK roof installs when they can't get to them ...
At least if it's on the ground, you can walk outside and brush the snow off of it and have your signal back in no time !

Rain/Snow is not a huge issue. Keep in mind the HD channels are more susceptible of rain/snow. It takes a big storm to knock out your standard picture.

As far as quality of the install, if you get a pole mount, make sure at least 80lbs of concrete is used (150lbs is require,but rarely done) and the pole is at least 3' in the ground. If you do a standard mast mount, like to a roof, make sure its place on a solid surface. If you can't see that its placed on something like a 4x6, then dont hesitate to get up on the roof or wherever and make sure its mounted securely. Make sure it is not wobbling or feels weak. If its placed on the roof and not secured to a rafter, it will cause you problems later

The receivers require a certain threshold when it comes to signal quality before it activates, so rest assure when the tech leaves, it will be pointed to a high standard. As far as the rest of the install, its up to you on what you expect. Make sure no switches or splitters are in direct contact with weather and make sure its grounded.

Refer a friend gives you $100 to you AND your friend as $10.00 bill credits for 10 months.

Order either from a local retailer or directly from DirecTV. The advantages of a retailer is they offer a 1 year full warranty and new equipment. From what I understand, they are doing the refer a friend credit too. Go with the retailer who is most knowledgeable. If they are not familiar with refer a friend and other promos, i would be aware of shoddy work.

The advantage of going with DirecTV directly is that you definitely get your refer a friend credit and they offer free 6 room install (not 4!!). Retailers can not offer 6. Keep in mind that is 1 Free HDDVR and 1 HD and 4 standard. To sub out standard for HD cost $100.00 per receiver.

I can't think of a reason to go with Dishstore over a local retailer. Also, i believe the $100.00 credit only applies to the top package (check on that).

Really ?
150 lbs of concrete and 3 FEET deep.

Many places you KNOW would never happen, if you live in a sandy area, sure, no problem, if your in Clay and rock, good luck.

A pole mount will require them to bury your cable so make sure they use a special buried RG6 (is coated with a grease for weatherproofing). Also for the the slimline reflector a roof mount requires bishop tape to seal the lag bolts and mono poles to insure stability.

A pole mount will require them to bury your cable so make sure they use a special buried RG6 (is coated with a grease for weatherproofing). Also for the the slimline reflector a roof mount requires bishop tape to seal the lag bolts and mono poles to insure stability.

Okay getting a bit confused with where the dish should go.. do i want it mounted to a poll? I am in minnesota like i said and theres snow and ice out there already. how do they install it with a poll or on the roof with these issues?

also I have read in a few place that these boxes need a phone line? does hooking it up to my network count? i am keeping comcast internet.

you do not need to hook it to the phone line unless you want caller ID on the receiver or ordering PPV

Hey smithben,

Told ya there were many sources of knowledge here.

RE the outside in winter installation....it is a bitch! Climbing on an ice or snow covered roof is just not possible sometimes. It may be possible to work from a ladder.

What may need to happen until spring is the installation of a non penetrating roof mount (think taboggan with vertical pole & bricks) placed on the frozen ground with enough weight to keep it from blowing away. The steel pole can go in when things thaw. Your local retailer will have experience with how deep the pole has to go in your area to deal with the frost line and how much concrete will be needed. Since you can't dig in the cable either plan for chairs or some other way to keep folks from tripping on the cable that will be run across the snow and lawn.

Keep up the reports..............gotta hit the sack..........there may be frost on the windshields here in Maryland tomorrow morning.......you know how hard that stuff can be.

Joe

Okay getting a bit confused with where the dish should go.. do i want it mounted to a poll? I am in minnesota like i said and theres snow and ice out there already. how do they install it with a poll or on the roof with these issues?

I have always mounted on a pole just so I could get to it if something needed to be done.
While I have never been charged extra for a pole mount, I know others have.
If you can only get a roof mount, and it is not easily accessible, invest in a super soaker and some warm water. When the snow comes, just blast it off with the water gun ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)