New Install: Need 2, not 1 dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bookwalk

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2005
Although reassured by the Install agent I called after first ordering Direct via Qwest that I would have only 1 dish, but the Online Order summary says I will have 2--one being a 36" oval.

I currently have 2 DISH dishes (not that large) installed--one being on the corner of my house. I think both this and the fencepost installation can face SW, but not sure. The 18' dish is not such an issue, but what installation options are optimal for the 36" oval--can it be installed on the corner of the house, in same location as was my DISH dish, probably with new brackets, if it's a larger dish?

Are they able to use the existing wiring that DISH leaves behind?

Although reassured by the Install agent I called after first ordering Direct via Qwest that I would have only 1 dish, but the Online Order summary says I will have 2--one being a 36" oval.

I currently have 2 DISH dishes (not that large) installed--one being on the corner of my house. I think both this and the fencepost installation can face SW, but not sure. The 18' dish is not such an issue, but what installation options are optimal for the 36" oval--can it be installed on the corner of the house, in same location as was my DISH dish, probably with new brackets, if it's a larger dish?

Are they able to use the existing wiring that DISH leaves behind?

It sounds like you need a dish for the locals on the 72.5 satellite as well as the main dish. What is your zip code? The existing cables can likely be used. As far as where it can go, there is no way to tell without at least some pictures.

Zip cod 57017 and what part of the sky is 72.5? Currently I have a Dish Dish pointed at 61.5, but there is a large tree just to the west of that and then a clear area just west of the tree. Trouble is the leaves are off the tree now, so will they be able to get a line of sight independent of the tree leaves?

As far as I'm aware 72.5 still uses an 18" round dish. The only thing that uses the 36" elliptical is 95, for world direct channels. Are you an international channel subscriber?

The 36" dish can be used for both 95 and 101, which carry most channels, and if your locals are on 101 then you can in fact get away with just the one 36" dish.

If your locals are however on 72.5 or 119, then you will need 2 dishes, no way around it. If you are also getting High def services, it would change the dish setup as well.

Knowing your selected services and your geographical location would help to determine exactly what you need.

edit: i see your zip code is listed.

Ok, Sioux Falls definitely has their locals on 72.5, so you will have a 2 dish minimum setup.

Following this link:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/20327-directv-72-5-installation-guide.html

it shows the picture of the 72.5 dish as an 18" round dish. That doesn't necessarily mean I'm right, but it appears to validate my previous post.

If you're an international subscriber, you'll use the 36" for 95w and 101w, and the 18" for 72.5 for your locals. If not, you should have two 18" dishes for 101 and 72.5.

edit again: And reading your other posts you're obviously getting HD services. Are you sure it said 36"? The dish for HD services (AU9 Slimline) is 24" x 32.5". I imagine you're getting a slimline and an 18" for 72.5. The sats you'll be hitting with that arrangement are : Dish 1 - 72.5 Dish 2 - 99, 101, 103, 110, 119

Last edited:
This is an example of what your setup will look like.

IMG_0069_1.jpg

Ok, Sioux Falls definitely has their locals on 72.5, so you will have a 2 dish minimum setup.

Following this link:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/20327-directv-72-5-installation-guide.html

it shows the picture of the 72.5 dish as an 18" round dish. That doesn't necessarily mean I'm right, but it appears to validate my previous post.

If you're an international subscriber, you'll use the 36" for 95w and 101w, and the 18" for 72.5 for your locals. If not, you should have two 18" dishes for 101 and 72.5.

edit again: And reading your other posts you're obviously getting HD services. Are you sure it said 36"? The dish for HD services (AU9 Slimline) is 24" x 32.5". I imagine you're getting a slimline and an 18" for 72.5. The sats you'll be hitting with that arrangement are : Dish 1 - 72.5 Dish 2 - 99, 101, 103, 110, 119

Thanks for your help. Actually, the first order (DTV cancelled it inadvertently) did specifiy a 36" 2nd dish, but the new order placed today (install is tomorrow, miraculously), just says 1 5 LNB Multi-satellite dish and the other dish just says "Additional DIRECTV® Satellite Dish", so, if I have my locals off 72.5--is that just slightly to the east of due south or is it due south or slightly west of south?

Then, the other multi-5LNB dish--whether 36" or not, which direction does it point? That would be the Slimline 24"? If I knew which direction it would point, I could tell if it would fit on the side/corner of the house where the E* dish is pointing to 61.5 for the Pentagon Channel.

I guess Direct does not get the Pentagon channel?

Thanks for your help. Actually, the first order (DTV cancelled it inadvertently) did specifiy a 36" 2nd dish, but the new order placed today (install is tomorrow, miraculously), just says 1 5 LNB Multi-satellite dish and the other dish just says "Additional DIRECTV® Satellite Dish", so, if I have my locals off 72.5--is that just slightly to the east of due south or is it due south or slightly west of south?

Then, the other multi-5LNB dish--whether 36" or not, which direction does it point? That would be the Slimline 24"? If I knew which direction it would point, I could tell if it would fit on the side/corner of the house where the E* dish is pointing to 61.5 for the Pentagon Channel.

I guess Direct does not get the Pentagon channel?

The Slimline will point approximately due south. The other dish will point towards the east, but I don't know just where.

The Slimline will point approximately due south. The other dish will point towards the east, but I don't know just where.

I just got off the line with the regional Installer team leader who heads up the installation and I DO need a 36" with 5 LNB's--to get ALL the HD channels I need and the 72.5 18" is for locals, so wow--that's quite a big bigger dish than I have on the side of the house for DISH--so again, can they put up a 36" on the corner/side of the house with enough stability and yet not damage the house?

I look at my neighbor up the road and he has Direct and does NOT have the 36", but again, he moved in over a year ago and probably didn't get HD.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)