Status
Please reply by conversation.

jwolf

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Cutting Edge
Aug 19, 2007
Niagara Falls, NY
On 11-29, my directv service will be installed. I am trying to make sure that I have LOS before the installer comes so the install can proceed without any issues.

I live in Niagara Falls NY, zip 14304. Does anyone know which satellites I should have clear LOS to? I think the HD locals are on 103, and the SD locals are on 119. I do understand that two of my locals, in SD, are only available on 119, but I don't watch them anyway.

I have clear LOS for 99, through 110, 119 I think is blocked. Is it possible to be installed with 99, 101, & 103??

what makes you think you won't have LOS to all of the required satellites? They wouldn't put your channels on a bird you can't see.

I currently have Dish, which is why I am switching, can't get MSG. I have a satellite dish that looks at 61.5, 72, & 77, which is clear LOS. I have the dish pointer app for my android phone which will let me look at a potential install site and make sure there are no obstruction. When I look at the satellites for directv, I am clear except for 119.

There isn't any other installation point on my property, other than where the dish currently is located. I have trees everywhere except for a window that I can see 61.5, to 110, not 119.

Ah, ok. So you are talking about physical obstructions and not just location issues like not living within the spot beam area.

jwolf,
I'm not far from you (in Sanborn) so if this doesn't get answered before I get home, I'll see if I can check which satellites my DirecTV setup is looking at. I'm sure yours would be the same.

wow... I went looking at signal strength and it appears to be looking at 99, 101, 103, 110, and 119. I haven't really looked at what it's GETTING off 119 so I'd have to look at "The List!"

I love DirecTV. I've had it about a month now. Was tired of missing Sabres games and there were other things as well, but now..... MRV is great for us. The picture quality for HD is noticeably better. We still haven't learned the new channel numbers for channels we watch regularly, but we had E* for something like 13 years so I think we'll learn the new ones eventually. The Quick Tune is nice for helping us with that. I also have a universal remote (URC MX-980) and I have several pages of favorites with channel icons to help us as well. I used a local installer... Satellite Solutions ... and I'd recommend them in a heartbeat.

Your local sd channels are on 119, so your installer may not do the install for that reason. Even if you don't care about the sd locals, his install wouldn't pass qc and he wouldn't get paid. You may need to do the install yourself using the sl3 type lnb, which only picks up the 99, 101, 103 satellites. Your local and national hd channels are on 99 and 103 and the majority of the sd channels are on 101.

wow... I went looking at signal strength and it appears to be looking at 99, 101, 103, 110, and 119. I haven't really looked at what it's GETTING off 119 so I'd have to look at "The List!"

I love DirecTV. I've had it about a month now. Was tired of missing Sabres games and there were other things as well, but now..... MRV is great for us. The picture quality for HD is noticeably better. We still haven't learned the new channel numbers for channels we watch regularly, but we had E* for something like 13 years so I think we'll learn the new ones eventually. The Quick Tune is nice for helping us with that. I also have a universal remote (URC MX-980) and I have several pages of favorites with channel icons to help us as well. I used a local installer... Satellite Solutions ... and I'd recommend them in a heartbeat.

119 carries your sd locals, mostly.

Checking a list I have and the only locals for Buffalo on 119 are CW & My. The rest are on 103W in HD (Ion is in SD but on 101...they use the national feed and remap it). Yes the SD locals are on 119 but if you have HD version why watch them in SD? ;)

Thanks for your information, that helps a great deal.

I am, in fact, having called satellite solutions do the install. I hear their commercial on WGR55 in the morning, and they came highly recommended. I'm just hoping that the install can be done without 119. There are no channels that I even want from there. As Iceberg stated, why watch SD when you have HD. I'm going to add the AM21 for the CW anyway.

I've been with dish since 1998, sad to go, but I want to watch the Sabres' in HD. I'm looking forward to the MRV and I keep hearing that the picture quality is better with direct, hopefully I'll find out on 11-29.

Sorry but you are going to have trouble. If Direct calls for 119, they have to be able to see it. The work order will be for the SWM5 and ISS will not give a waiver for NLOS to the 119. They don't care if you want those channels or not.

I work in a 119 area, I have run into this more than once. Direct will not bend on this.

Sorry but you are going to have trouble. If Direct calls for 119, they have to be able to see it. The work order will be for the SWM5 and ISS will not give a waiver for NLOS to the 119. They don't care if you want those channels or not.

I work in a 119 area, I have run into this more than once. Direct will not bend on this.

That's what I already said, and why I recommended he do a self install. Actually, jwolf, you might try contacting an independent installer to do the job. I'll bet they will install an sl3 setup, which doesn't involve 119.

That's what I already said, and why I recommended he do a self install. Actually, jwolf, you might try contacting an independent installer to do the job. I'll bet they will install an sl3 setup, which doesn't involve 119.

I am going to wait and see what the installer says. If I have to install it, then I will, but I'll wait to hear from them.

Perhaps I can persuade the installer. ;)

I am going to wait and see what the installer says. If I have to install it, then I will, but I'll wait to hear from them.

Perhaps I can persuade the installer. ;)

A monetary remuneration (tip! ;)) may help, but if he doesn't have an sl3 type lnb, you are sol with the installer.

My install was today. The installer came and verified that 119 was partially blocked by a tree and that 110 was also partially blocked. The installer said, "no problem", and I now have directv installed!

I have two HR24-500 and a R24-700. The MRV feature is cool!! The dish that was installed was a slimline 5.

I'm still getting used to everything and setting up my programs to record, a bit different than dish network. I'm just glad the switch has been made and I can watch the Sabres in HD!

Woo hoo! Glad to hear it all went well. :up He must have installed an sl3 type lnb that doesn't see 110 and 119. I'm kind of surprised, but pleased!

Nope, it is a slimline five. I can see 99, 101, 103, 110, and 119. There is a 'trick' to fool the receiver into allowing an install without acceptable signal levels. Satellite solutions, the company that did the install, were AWESOME! I could not be happier with the install.

Nope, it is a slimline five. I can see 99, 101, 103, 110, and 119. There is a 'trick' to fool the receiver into allowing an install without acceptable signal levels. Satellite solutions, the company that did the install, were AWESOME! I could not be happier with the install.

Hmm, I didn't know you could do that. Can you run a signal strength test and tell us what you get? I suspect the installer got a waiver on the install rather than "fooling" the receiver. IIRC, using an sl5 lnb means you can't get guide data without leaving the receiver overnight on a station from 101. Is that how he did it?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts