New Install - Single LNB v. Triple LNB ???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

chrismfenton

Original poster
May 20, 2004
Hello -- I am a new install and new member here! I ordered DirecTV w/ Tivo and a 3 LNB dish. I have the one receiver I purchased now, but would like to add additional later.

The installer came out and said that my line of site was not good enough to use the 3 LNB dish, and that I would only be able to catch the signal from one satellite. He explained that the 3 LNB dish does not work unless it can connect to ALL 3 satellites. Is this correct? I think it sounds like a way to make off with my new 3 LNB dish. So they installed a Single LNB dish, and I am left wondering!?! :confused:

Any advice is appreciated!

cF

you need a Tri-LNB dish for the future, for HD content and when DirecTV offers your local channels if they don't already. It sounds like he just traded a $50 dish for a $100 to me. anyway you have got to get a tri-LNB. do you have anything blocking the view of the satellites? if not, he did rip you off.

i have trees to the left and the right, but a clear shot down the middle. he said that the 3 LNB dish does not work unless it can hit all 3 satellites. i dont understand why a single works better than a triple?? so do I ask the Expert Satellite to return my dish? or is this guy correct?

i get the local channels with the current single LNB. for reference, I live in San Jose, CA.

Ask for your dish back they are scaming you.I had a single and then went with a triple and had no problems at all locking on to HD.you have to remember that most installers are not that smart, if not brain dead.11 homes on my road and most installers said that I had the only clear shot,well we have 8 homes installed with DTV minus thier work and everyone pulls 85 and above----95 here

ask for the tri-lnb back and a dish signal meter for free, set it up yourself and get the job done right. I would even ask to keep the old dish and sell it for all their lack of work on the install.

If its your dish GET IT BACK! A new single dish cost less than $50
But to be fair to the installer he may be right, they are told NOT to install a phaseIII dish unless it can "see" all three satellites! And even if it cant sometimes, the HSP where I used to work required a 10 deg. clearance on all side, meaning even if their is a clear line of sight, if it looks like trees are within a 10 deg of the line sight we were NOT to use the phaseIII but to install a single dish! Thats the rules, another reason to sniff out a local installation company! But if its your property, DEMAND IT BACK!!!!!!! I hate to hear about this type of "installer" its nothing short of theft! Allways watch the tech unpack the box, everything in the box is your!!!!!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)