Status
Please reply by conversation.

matthpd195

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 11, 2004
Northeast Indiana
:(

I was SUPPOSED to have D* service installed in my parents house this afternoon. 1-5 was the time window given. I arrived there around noon to help move the HUGE cabinet from around the 51" Sony set. We had just gotten finished with that process and the phone rang.

It was the installer calling to Re-Schedule!! :mad: :mad: Supposedly they didn't have some sort of filter for the HD receiver (something I had never seen mentioned before). In further talking with the installer about this it apparently has something to do with the fact the our locals are on the 72.5 sat & the filter is needed to receive those channels on the HD Box.

I then went on to tell them that I was not requesting local channels from them (my parents have a perfectly working antenna already) & to have them come out anyways without the filter they didn't have.

NO GO!! They for some reason couldn't/wouldn't come out at the scheduled time stating they couldn't change the order now & that I would have to call D& directly and re-order everything!!

I know I'm prob just ranting but this all seems ridiculous to me, all I want is the HD box, Tivo and the Dish which they state that they have....

One question? what is this filter supposed to do? and/or why is it needed?

I think they mean 6X8 multiswitch, which is required for getting locals off of 72.5 and using the Phase-III dish.

That sucks that they wouldn't come out and install it anyway. I would call D* and see what they can do to remedy this.

well i just had my install of a second dish for my locals (syracuse). Take a 1/2 day off work they show up get ready to do it and i finally mention something about hd and they said wait what type of box do you have? Samsung ohhh we need a filter for that we ran out of those today so we will have to reschedule you picked up their stuff and left.

I installed my phase iii dish no problem i sure the hell could do this but i don't want to pay for the multi switch so I guess i have to reschedule which is now 2 weeks away.

The fact that they have no idea what box i have is just stupid and a wasted of both of our time.

They said something about having to mount the multiswitch outside the house which i don't want. they said it has to be so "someone" could drive up and see it. Well as soon as they leave i will move it to the basement.

they sure aren't prepared for the locals in this area that for sure.

I sure hope its not for the Samsung box....I was hoping to get the new DTC-210 since I couldn't find an HTL-HD like mine...

Also I found out (while pulling the TV out for no reason) that their TV only has component input, no DVI as I was hoping to use. Are there any difference in PQ using component -vs- DVI???

I called D* after the whole re-schedule fiasco. They had no idea what a filter would be needed for (I guess I shouldn't be surprised). The rep I spoke with called the local installer, which happened to be in the next state, and got no answer. She sounded upset that she couldn't get through to them & could only reschedule the install for Friday.

Hopefully they decide to show up this time. I think I will call the installer direct that morning just to double check.

Not really a noticable difference. Which model Sony is it? I didn't realize that Samsung HD boxes required a filter to get locals on 72.5 That sure is strange....

Thanks Neutron for the info on component. My father is wanting "A clear picture" so I told him to dump the analog cable and go with D* HD like I have. However mine is hooked up via DVI cable, glad to hear it shouldn't make a difference

To my surprise he did it! :)

Install SUPPOSED to be Today Part 2!

Well the installation saga continues on today. The re-scheduled install appt. was supposed to have been from 8-12 today. I say SUPPOSED to again because the installer didn't show up AGAIN!! No call, no nothing! :mad: :mad:

I couldn't even get through to them, the call just transfers to an answering machine to "leave a number & problem and we'll get back w/you asap"

So after trying to contact the installer with no luck I called DirecTV. The rep then informed me that the installer had changed my appointment to November the 12th!! At this point I was ready to spit nails! I couldn't believe the installer changed the appointment without my approval and/or knowledge!

I then decided to do what I should have done to begin with. I canceled the order with DirecTV & Sky link installations & called ValueElectronics for the order.

I was only on the phone for a few minutes got exactly what I wanted, the new RCA/DirecTV branded HD box and an 80 hour Tivo with installation for cheaper than DirecTV was giving me!

I sure hope ValueElectronics installers have a better track record than Sky Link does. Although from all of the postings here I'm sure it will go OK.

;)

I just had install for syracuse locals today. It got quite hectic as they did not know how to combine two of the new 6x8 flex port multiswitches. I needed 11 lines out as I now have 4 tivos

Yes they installed a filter on my samsung hd receiver.

Thanks

Rick

while I wait for my reschedule and filter, would like to know mgmrick how do the syracuse locals look? ok? They are my locals.

Yes syracuse locals look great. I think they probally have the best picture of all of D* channels. How many lines are you going to need?

Rick

Just thought I would post an update.

ValueElectronics came through like a champ! The installation could not have gone better. The installer was very knowledgeable and did an excellent install.

Got my parents all set up with an 70 hr Tivo and the new RCA DTC-210, everything working great!

Thanks to Robert at ValueElectronis for all the great help.

Status
Please reply by conversation.