new install this morning H3, joey X2, 2.0 or 4k ??

new hopper user Joey model (no 4k yet)

• Total voters

JS_racer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 18, 2007
Twin Cities MN
install this am !! Excited (now 722k, 621, 211)
is it worth the $100 for 2 4k joey compared to the 2.0 ?? these will not be connected to a 4k set and don't have any firm plans to replace tvs, although its always fun to toss the idea around, lol there is another 2 year contract added from the 4k swap for a 2.0 down the road.

first time hopper user, hopper 3, i have never seen or used a joey. is the 4k much or noticeably faster than the 2.0 ?? not a huge fan of lag, lol or other features the 2.0 is missing compared to ??

thanks much for the time !!!
Joel

The Joey 2 is usable, but it's not the fastest receiver you will ever use. It will most definitely feel slower compared to the performance you'll see at the H3 location. I've not used a 4K Joey, but most say that its a decent amount faster performance-wise than the Joey 2.

The one glaring difference is if you plan to use Netflix at the Joey location, you will want to stick with the Joey 2 and NOT the 4K Joey. There is currently an issue with Netflix certifying their own Netflix app on the 4K Joey and thus it is not available on the 4K Joeys. It is waiting on Netflix, and there is currently no known timetable for when it will be made available. Netflix is available and does work on the Joey 2.

Reactions: JS_racer
How about the size differences between the Joey 2 and Joey 4K? I know the Joey 4K is smaller but I haven't seen a picture directly comparing the two. That could be a factor because I would potentially like to zip tie or velcro the Joey to the back of a wall-mounted TV (but then the racy red stripe wouldn't be visible). PS, I also see the Joey 4K has Bluetooth built-in, so that's another minor difference.

is the joey 2 response painfull, or a tic slower ??
size at this time, isn't a great consideration for the locations they will be at.

hope my tech has both, so possibly i could compare.
not sure about the netflix, not a subscriber, but interesting nonetheless. i may want to, i have hbo, amazon prime, as well as other options now that work well.

is the joey 2 response painfull, or a tic slower ??
size at this time, isn't a great consideration for the locations they will be at.

hope my tech has both, so possibly i could compare.
not sure about the netflix, not a subscriber, but interesting nonetheless. i may want to, i have hbo, amazon prime, as well as other options now that work well.

Well...hard to judge some else's pain tolerance. :D Slow electronics bug the crap out of me, too. The original Joey 1 was the textbook definition of painful, so in comparison to it, the Joey 2 is at least something I consider usable. I wish it were faster, but not enough to warrant a replacement, no more than I use it. If Netflix is not a priority, and this is a location you will be doing a lot of viewing, perhaps you should consider the 4K Joey for the faster performance.

Hope that helps a little!

I'm still not sure it's worth that $50 apiece just for a little speed. My Joey 2s work just fine. We go to channel and stay there for a program, not a lot of hopping at the Joey locations....

Went with the Joey 2, so far so good.
Pushing all the wrong buttons on the new remotes, lol also purchased a 50 and 40. Remote

Now, on to see why my ehd doesn't show up on the new h3, ahh the joys of new stuff, lol
Watching shows on my 722k now, on the ehd

There is a way to join another location for viewing, I'll play with that more. Looks like what I was looking for

Now, on to see why my ehd doesn't show up on the new h3, ahh the joys of new stuff, lol

You might want to give it a day or two to settle in, which is typical on all new Hopper installs. You may also need to force the software update to U336 to get the EHD to appear. My brother just had a new H3 installed late last week, and that's what we had to do to get his to show up. They seem to have at least partially fixed the EHD issues with U336, but the trade off is that VOD is rather flaky for some on U336, so pick your poison.

As DWS44 stated, give the EHDs 48 hours or so and then upgrade to U336 if necessary.

It's not uncommon for EHDs to take a day or so, even before the current EHD bug crept in. Sometimes takes just a few hours, almost always within a couple of days. I think the initial activation process doesn't flip the right bit. My wild a** guess is the next time your receiver's activation codes hit the sat data stream things get straightened out.

Recording from my 722 then would show up in the DVR area ?? Or it should be listed there??
I see the WD blue light go back and forth, nothing listed. Watching shows on the old box as I typed this

When you go into the DVR list on the H3, you'll see a "sources" tile next to the PTAT tile. You go into that tile, select the EHD from the list, and it will show you the recordings on the EHD. You can play from there, or transfer the recordings to the internal storage.

so leave the ehd plugged in for 2 days, i never got a notice that it was seen or anything when plugging it in??
chuckling thinking the box will be like , hey what's this plugged into me after getting bored after the hard setup work, lol

already hit the black screen with audio, overlays worked, had to do the pip to fix, like the old boxes,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)