Please reply by conversation.

jesserulz233

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 8, 2005
South Carolina
Hello,

Hopefully I will be joining the Directv family tomorrow. My only concern is line of site. I think I have a clearing on the other side of my driveway about 75-80 feet from my house. I tried to get Directv 3 years ago but they didn't want to run the line. I know you can run cables 100-150 feet without loss of signal. I will even bury the line if they just install the dish. I really want to come back to Directv. Do you think they will do this for me?

When you say on the other side of your driveway.... Is that tarmac, or stone or what. 75' isnt bad, its up there but its doable.... However directv does not have a construction crew like most cable companies do, so they cant and wont bore anything.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

It would probably help if you can pre dig a ditch to bury the cable in, particularly if they have to cross the driveway.. If they can't complete the job to quality standards (that they're required to meet) they won't start it.
Of course, if they can't get Line of Sight, they wont start the job either.. They'll check that first. BTW, if they do say there's no line of sight, you can call and ask for a 2nd opinion.. that sends a Supervisor out to double check.

its old gravel/dirt lol. It would be a little tough but the rest is green grass

IF you are sure the cable has to cross your gravel road there is a way. Get a length of STEEL galvanized fence pipe that is longer than your road is wide. Let the tech run his cable through the pipe and lay the rest of the cable on the ground. Ask for a little slack at each end and where the cable meets the pipe. After you have your installation running you can dig in the cable........You don't actually dig a trench...you make a spade cut with a straight shovel or edging tool and push the cable into the cut with a wooden board or similar tool. The correct cable for this is called "flooded cable" and is probably not carried by your installer.

The tech may not want to go along with this because if the cable is damaged during the process there is a good chance the problem will be blamed on him. For sure Directv is not going to pay him to kick in your line.
ALSO, there are underground contractors used by the cable companies who do this work. They have equipment that cab bore under the lawn and road without disturbing anything ( almost). Think $$$$.

Report how it goes,

Joe

Yea.. directv for sure isnt going to cover your underground installation, you could predig the trench in the grass but i doubt joe's pipe idea would be authorized. You would need the pipe burried yet accessable during install. And then maybe the tech would do it. Keep in mind once the tech shows up if you the customer have any future issues with the physical install, he (the tech) will be personally responsible. Which may incur him to be backchanged or fined for breaking policy to do your install. So when one guy says no to something out of the ordinary its usually due to that. I would try to get a local retailer take a look at your property and give your a quote for labor. Also dont expect this install to be free, your looking at some additional $$$ paid at time of install.

Yea.. directv for sure isnt going to cover your underground installation, you could predig the trench in the grass but i doubt joe's pipe idea would be authorized. You would need the pipe burried yet accessable during install. And then maybe the tech would do it. Keep in mind once the tech shows up if you the customer have any future issues with the physical install, he (the tech) will be personally responsible. Which may incur him to be backchanged or fined for breaking policy to do your install. So when one guy says no to something out of the ordinary its usually due to that. I would try to get a local retailer take a look at your property and give your a quote for labor. Also dont expect this install to be free, your looking at some additional $$$ paid at time of install.

Twist,

I didn't mention the other one.......Mount the mast near the d mark as high as a ladder. Use the messenger / ground for its' intended purpose and hang the cable from the house to a tree near the dish...or even spike the dish to the same tree and use a P hook. I have noticed Directv has become much more involved in the technical aspects of the installations since they have thrown the contractors under the bus. What was never questioned years ago is just not part of the current specification.

The pipe in the road will work until someone drives over the end of the pipe and either spears their gas tank or damages their cable. In any case it is not a job for mere plastic conduit.

We do what we can (get away with.)

Joe

Yea sounds like your describing a makeshift ariel drop joe, this would prevent "proper" grounding of the dish unless you made a ground with your own rod at the pole, but running it as an overhead drop isnt a bad idea if you can get the line high enough at the point of the dish.

Yea sounds like your describing a makeshift ariel drop joe, this would prevent "proper" grounding of the dish unless you made a ground with your own rod at the pole, but running it as an overhead drop isnt a bad idea if you can get the line high enough at the point of the dish.

Twist,

Without turning this into one of those ground threads..........at the GB you make the standard connection with SVC loop.......the single RG6 w / ground rises to the mast or hook.....where the ground / messenger is spliced the get the messenger attached to a pole, at the P hook or mast =install twist ties in order to stop further separation from the RG6. At the other end...hope the one with the cable spool....the cable is hoisted & connected to the dish ...including the ground wire...... depending upon the span across the lawn .....should work.

Joe

Yea i did cable for 3yrs im good with drops, makes sense, and im not trying to make a ground thread just saying its gotta be grounded at the pole befor the overhead to pass code.

Yea i did cable for 3yrs im good with drops, makes sense, and im not trying to make a ground thread just saying its gotta be grounded at the pole befor the overhead to pass code.

Good, then you see the ground issue.

If you use the ground wire as a messenger it is no longer usable as a ground. It might even be dangerous. The other part is that (I think) you technically have to back bond drops & sat dishes that are more than ten feet from the cable enterance. So you end up with an aerial drop and a series of ground rods, with a ground wire that crosses the road somehow. I'd go with one rod at the dish, knowing it is a better attempt than many other arrangements.

It will be interesting to see how this one ends.

joe

Good, then you see the ground issue.

If you use the ground wire as a messenger it is no longer usable as a ground. It might even be dangerous. The other part is that (I think) you technically have to back bond drops & sat dishes that are more than ten feet from the cable enterance. So you end up with an aerial drop and a series of ground rods, with a ground wire that crosses the road somehow. I'd go with one rod at the dish, knowing it is a better attempt than many other arrangements.

It will be interesting to see how this one ends.

joe

Yea thats what i was getting at but couldnt word it right, thanks for the correction. Is suprising to hear ppl that know what p - j hooks or hangers are lol.

Quick update

Hey guys just wanted to give you an update. The installer was able to find a clear line of site. It was about 75 feet from the house on the opposite side. He is awesome. He said the guy 3 years ago obviously didn't know what he was doing or just didn't want to put in the extra 30 minutes. As I am writing this he is currently install my HD DVR and my 2 HD Receivers. I elected not to get the genie because I am coming from the Hopper and we didn't really use the whole home dvr feature and mainly watched all DVR recordings in the living room. I will post an update later this afternoon. I am just happy to back with Directv. It has been a long 3 years!

Hey guys just wanted to give you an update. The installer was able to find a clear line of site. It was about 75 feet from the house on the opposite side. He is awesome. He said the guy 3 years ago obviously didn't know what he was doing or just didn't want to put in the extra 30 minutes. As I am writing this he is currently install my HD DVR and my 2 HD Receivers. I elected not to get the genie because I am coming from the Hopper and we didn't really use the whole home dvr feature and mainly watched all DVR recordings in the living room. I will post an update later this afternoon. I am just happy to back with Directv. It has been a long 3 years!
:clap:welcome:clap

Glad to hear it, just so you know those boxes are still capable of viewing the dvrs playlist, but you need dtv to authorize mrv

Also make sure to ask for a cck to be installed somewhere, near your router for internet, and deca's for the receivers depending on the model numbers. If they have touch screens in blue then no deca if then are flat black (not gloss) then they need a deca

Also make sure to ask for a cck to be installed somewhere, near your router for internet, and deca's for the receivers depending on the model numbers. If they have touch screens in blue then no deca if then are flat black (not gloss) then they need a deca

Yes he installed the deca for me :)

Glad to hear it, just so you know those boxes are still capable of viewing the dvrs playlist, but you need dtv to authorize mrv

Oh so I will still be able to watch DVR in the bedroom? My wife was the only one who would do that lol

Oh so I will still be able to watch DVR in the bedroom? My wife was the only one who would do that lol

Sry bout the delay, my phone sh*t the bed lol...

Yes, so long as dtv authorizes mrv to work on your account, it may be another 3$ per month, ask the installer about it while hes there, it may require a call to customer service however.

Mrv = multi room viewing

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)