New install - would you insist on an HR24?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
This why I like IV that is in D* receivers.
If the signal is not darn near perfect, the receiver will not activate.
I suppose you could forget to locket it down properly, but I tighten the collar down on all the dishes with my impact which means it will never move.
I also before I pack my truck go over the entire install one last time as it takes 2 minutes (even if I have 5 jobs in a day, it only ads a total of 10 minutes which is less time that having to go back)

Yes, there are points where working by the job sux and some advantages to being hourly.
However, on average, I probably make more money then you average hourly employee.

Probably most ..... probably not me though.

This is not an accurate statement at all. RSP's hire out subs, which pay for their own materials too. As a sub, I only charged for pole mounts, wall fishes and excess use of cable, and this was only occasionally. RSP's do not charge for pole mounts anymore or excess cable, but good luck getting one to do a wall fish.

When you go through a retailer, the installer is most often much more experience. He is also paid better and treated better. Unless a customer is asking for excess work, I don't see a retail installer trying to pull money from the customer.

RSP ?

What I was trying to say is, the local installer will have a bill at the end of the day, the D* installer is free, unless you've asked for things outside of the norm for them.

Jimbo that is an accurate statement if were the mid 90's. Retailers offer the same promotions as anyone else. Some retailers even offer a little better deal than what 1 could get online or from the 800 #'s. Dishstore for example has a pretty good rebate on top of the regular promos.
Here is a real important factor. If someone is in an all mpeg4 market & there are many. All equipment is hd equipment. This is when a retailer is really worthwhile to talk to. If someone in 1 of these markets calls in or orders online & tells rep they have 4 hd/tvs & want hd/dvr/mrv on all. They will be paying some money out of pocket even though they're in an mpeg4 market. Now that same person goes through a retailer in the same market. A smart retailer & there are many can build that same order with 1hd/dvr/mrv & 3 hd receivers, it won't cost a dime & will be included with the free standard install.

Our office does not charge for pole mounts, they are part of our standard install. We do have custom labor charges for, wall fishes, home theater/surround hooks ups, driveway & sidewalk bores, mounting & hanging tvs, etc, etc. A standard install is free to the customer & does include all cabling, hardware, etc..

We order $20,000 to $30,000 a month in equipment D* & E* combined. The only receivers we get from our D* supplier are the 24 series.

I am a huge advocate of going with your local retailer. As with anything always do your homework as there are some shady ones also.
I can talk with someone for less than 5 mins face to face and be able to tell if they would be someone I'd do business with. :cool:

I had NO IDEA that LOCAL companies, did FREE D* installs and carried $20,000 + in stock. WOW.

I have a local company that does install D* down the street, but D* is NOT the business they live on, they are in the Antenna and what not business, been doing D* and DISH for as long as D* has been around, but I hardly believe that they have anywhere that volume on hand.

I would be FLOORED if I went in there and found that they would come out and install for free.

I have a High End A / V that I have been using for many many years for my A/V equipment that had a High End sub out on Lake Erie that need a D* install, they asked me to do it as the other guys were unable to for some reason at the time, they were very busy with something I would imagine.

I would not work for free and I'm sure that the Owner made money off the deal, of course they could have thrown my install in as they were spending $40,000 or more on the A / V sale and install.

RSP ?

What I was trying to say is, the local installer will have a bill at the end of the day, the D* installer is free, unless you've asked for things outside of the norm for them.

RSP: Residential Service Provider: Contracting company who handles all of DirecTV's installs. If its not handled by a local retailer, then its almost always an RSP. Even Dishstore uses the RSP system. I've worked for these guys. I've seen the guys they hire. There are some really good guys, but they are becoming fewer and fewer. These RSP's have cut their pay so much that its hard to make an honest living with them. Nearly all of them are good people, but they have little experience. If they were shoveling me fries or building me a burger, it wouldn't be a big deal. But when youre paying $100.00 a month and locked into a contract for 2 years, I expect a professional to do the work, not someone who looks professional.

Anyways, thats my rant and why I always recommend a local installer. Simply put, they are more experienced and get paid better.

Retailers offer the same free standard installation as RSP/DirecTV.

RSP: Residential Service Provider: Contracting company who handles all of DirecTV's installs. If its not handled by a local retailer, then its almost always an RSP. Even Dishstore uses the RSP system. I've worked for these guys. I've seen the guys they hire. There are some really good guys, but they are becoming fewer and fewer. These RSP's have cut their pay so much that its hard to make an honest living with them. Nearly all of them are good people, but they have little experience. If they were shoveling me fries or building me a burger, it wouldn't be a big deal. But when youre paying $100.00 a month and locked into a contract for 2 years, I expect a professional to do the work, not someone who looks professional.

Anyways, thats my rant and why I always recommend a local installer. Simply put, they are more experienced and get paid better.

Retailers offer the same free standard installation as RSP/DirecTV.

RSP = DISH labor pimp................HSP (Home Service Provider) = DirecTV labor pimp.

Joe

You can insist on an HR24 and they can insist on not doing an installation.

Yes, and you could cost a tech who is struggling to make a living and fighting to feed his family a lot of money for something he had no control over all because boo hoo hoo, you didn't get the receiver you wanted.

Yes, and you could cost a tech who is struggling to make a living and fighting to feed his family a lot of money for something he had no control over all because boo hoo hoo, you didn't get the receiver you wanted.

I appreciate your opinion and that of everyone else that has shared. I definitely see the perspective of the installer and think that's certainly something to be considered.

That said, the general sentiment and opinion expressed in your posts and signature is pretty one-sided. Yes, it's probably an inconvenience for the installer when they get picky clients that are informed of what they're getting and have an opinion about it - but that's the job. Not everyone is gonna just sit tight and let the installer do "his job" any way he wants to - to be fair I've got no problem telling people how to prepare my food or "flip my burgers" either. The installer's job is to work on MY home and I don't think it's unreasonable for me or anyone else to have an opinion or express concern about the way things are done.

As for it being "free", just because it isn't a line item on the bill doesn't mean it's free. I'm shelling out a couple thousand bucks over the next two years and living with the equipment in my home every day between now and then. As I said I understand your opinion and genuinely appreciate the information from the perspective of the installer - but this is my perspective as a homeowner and customer signing up for a long term contract.

Install is on Thursday. Getting very excited, I'll report back on how it all goes.

That said, the general sentiment and opinion expressed in your posts and signature is pretty one-sided. Yes, it's probably an inconvenience for the installer when they get picky clients that are informed of what they're getting and have an opinion about it - but that's the job. Not everyone is gonna just sit tight and let the installer do "his job" any way he wants to - to be fair I've got no problem telling people how to prepare my food or "flip my burgers" either. The installer's job is to work on MY home and I don't think it's unreasonable for me or anyone else to have an opinion or express concern about the way things are done.

Yeah. I can be opinionated, I will admit it. lol

It is not an inconvenience having informed customers at all.
In fact, I want a customer to have an opinion on how I do the install on their home as when the job is done, not only do they appreciate the good work better, they are happier with me as an installer. I think it is more then reasonable to expect to have an opinion on how things are done on your home. I would never let anyone work on my house that did not have proper tools, that lacked confidence or just seemed like he would do a poor job in general. Because that is part of the job and things within the installers control. Unfortunately the receivers we get are not always within our control. Yes, occasionally we may get turned away due to it, but the customer usually does not know how much it could cost some of us.

If you want guaranteed equipment then use a retailer like many have suggested.
If you want to roll the dice and call D* and set up the order then you should just take what is brought as it will be more then suitable.

All that being said, it is your right to turn away the installer because he doesn't have the receivers you want. Doesn't mean it is right though.

More then likely you will see 24 series receivers so it is kind of a moot point though.

Good luck with your install, I hope it goes smoothly and you get everything you want. :up

BTW, I am not exactly one sided as I also hate when installers blow off customers because the install is too hard.
Which does happen so I suppose that is just part of it too.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the receivers we get are not always within our control. Yes, occasionally we may get turned away due to it, but the customer usually does not know how much it could cost some of us.
Yes, I see that and I appreciate you taking the time to point it out because it made me consider a side of the issue I hadn't thought of before.
If you want guaranteed equipment then use a retailer like many have suggested.
If you want to roll the dice and call D* and set up the order then you should just take what is brought as it will be more then suitable.
That seems to be the general consensus, and I think it makes sense.

Thanks again.

I appreciate your opinion and that of everyone else that has shared. I definitely see the perspective of the installer and think that's certainly something to be considered.

As for it being "free", just because it isn't a line item on the bill doesn't mean it's free. I'm shelling out a couple thousand bucks over the next two years and living with the equipment in my home every day between now and then. As I said I understand your opinion and genuinely appreciate the information from the perspective of the installer - but this is my perspective as a homeowner and customer signing up for a long term contract.

Install is on Thursday. Getting very excited, I'll report back on how it all goes.

What a well worded post. :) Good luck with your install. :up

Just talked to the installer (he's running a couple of hours late). In my notes to installer (I ordered on-line) I asked if I could get new equipment and if he would be willing to remove the Dish dish. I got both of my requests!

Just talked to the installer (he's running a couple of hours late). In my notes to installer (I ordered on-line) I asked if I could get new equipment and if he would be willing to remove the Dish dish. I got both of my requests!

I had a similar experience when I subscribed in Oct. I'm not an installer, though I've become friends with some. I really don't understand much of the fuss about equipment requests, special install instructions, rescheduled appts, etc. In my case, like Viventis, I added to the notes online that I wanted H24 and HR24 and also the old dishes removed. I got everything I asked for. In my case, though, I also got a call from the installer telling me he had the requested receivers on his truck but he had a large commercial install before my scheduled install time and couldn't guarantee he would have the requested receivers by the time he got here. He told me he had some time BEFORE the commercial install and asked if I could move up my installation. I had to leave work early, but I was able to take the earlier appt time and everything went well. The installer did a great job and left with an extra $20 for his trouble. I always tip the service guys when they do a good job - I also now have several personal/cell phone numbers of techs should I ever have another problem. :)

Really probably had zero to do with your notes.

The installer brought what is available.
In our area (which is your area) most the equipment we have is new, very little refurbs lately.

However, most customers would never know if the box we opened had a new receiver or refurb.
Most installers will also pull down the old dish as we are usually installing the new one in the same location.
I will always do it unless it is in a place that I am not comfortable going.

If an installer can't put food on the table because someone turned them away over not having the right receiver they need to find a new line of work. Boo Hoo I get the receiver I want and have always installed my own dishes and receivers.

Just a fyi saying bring "New" equipment does not mean much. As I just bought another HDDVR and personally I dont care what I got but the tech did give me a HR24 but on his truck he still had New in box not refurbs of Hr22/Hr23 which based on notes would be suitable. But again I like owning all my equipment so I figure the tech was being nice by giving me a hr24 and that he saw tha it was for a employee account.

If an installer can't put food on the table because someone turned them away over not having the right receiver they need to find a new line of work. Boo Hoo I get the receiver I want and have always installed my own dishes and receivers.

Personally, I care more about my fellow man than I do about my receiver or TV.

Glad that most customers don't whine and cry about the receiver(s) they get but it does occasionally happen.

I personally do fine, but I am a single guy with no real bills other then house, utilities, and insurance. So, I get to shrug it off.
However, there are a few married with kids and the $100 +/- (before expenses) lost for the install and possibly the additional money lost in bonuses that they bust their ass for and count on makes for a big hit.

BTW, when was the last time you were job hunting?
Not sure if you follow the economy or not, but they are not exactly growing on trees out there. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Personally, I care more about my fellow man than I do about my receiver or TV.

Glad that most customers don't whine and cry about the receiver(s) they get but it does occasionally happen.

I personally do fine, but I am a single guy with no real bills other then house, utilities, and insurance. So, I get to shrug it off.
However, there are a few married with kids and the $100 +/- (before expenses) lost for the install and possibly the additional money lost in bonuses that they bust their ass for and count on makes for a big hit.

BTW, when was the last time you were job hunting?
Not sure if you follow the economy or not, but they are not exactly growing on trees out there. :rolleyes:

BTW, I was out of work for a year. I'm back to work again now. I know what it's like out there. I do follow the economy. :rolleyes:
It's great fun to be out of a job, find a new job to apply for and no one calls you since they can pick and choose from the 50 or so resumes they got in, or to call and inquire to hear remarks from the HR person like - We can't interview everyone. I got lucky to get in on the job I have now as a contract employee and prove(scratch and claw) my way to getting hired on full time with benefits. They even made me re-interview after I had been there for 3 months the same week 2 other people from off the street did cold interviews. The 2 other people got rejection letters and they told me they were going to seek out 2 more other people to interview before they eventually hired me. Yep, I know what it's like out there !!

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)