New install - would you insist on an HR24?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

knownikko

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
CA
I apologize if this has been asked a billion times. I've been searching/reading and trying to discern the differences between all the HR2X series hardware and preparing for my new installation next week (two TVs, MRV, broadband connection, etc).

I understand D* doesn't guarantee any specific hardware models for any installation and that you pretty much get what you get when the installer arrives. I also see many cases of people claiming to refuse installations if they don't get an HR24.

Does this tactic work? Would you do it if it were you? The HR24 seems to be a significant improvement over the older hardware in storage capacity and more importantly speed/interactive performance. I'd be really disappointed to get an older unit out of the gate that I'm stuck with for two years.

Advice welcome, along with anything else I should be on the look out for during the install.

Thanks,
Nick

If you ordered MRV in **most** cases the DVR will be a HR24. The HD receiver can be anything else and work fine (I have a H23 and it works real well)

and yes you can refuse install if you dont like the equipment. If the tech showed up with a couple beat up HR21's I'd refuse it :)

I just ordered on-line. I added in the notes to installer (for whatever good it will do), that I would only accept new, latest model receivers and DVR's. Since I paid $300 plus tax to get 2 HDDVR's and 2 HD receivers, I sure hope I get the latest models.

When you call, be nice to the csr. I did when I called to up grade to hd. I asked if I could get a hr24. I even told the csr that if I did get a hr24 he could come over for a bbq on the first sunday of football season. He laughed and said he would put it in his notes that I requested a hr24. When the install techs came, they had a hr24. Be nice to others, you will be suprised what you get and can get away with.

You can get it if you don't mind pushing. It might require a couple reschedules. When the tech pre calls, make sure you tell him you want new equipment. If he doesn't have one, youcan offer a small bribe (tip) to make sure you get one.

If you want guaranteed equipment, then go to a retailer and take the deal they give you.

Otherwise, if you refuse the work order, you cost the installer, his time in coming out, his gas (in some cases) and cut his pay for the day because if you were not taking up space on his route, he would have had a different job. (For me, you would have cost me over $100 for the day). Also, many installers are graded on a point system which is affected by jobs completed. I am on a sliding pay scale myself and if your reschedule was the one that dropped me below where I needed to be (and reschedules hit hard) you could cost me $500 +/- for the month.

Basically, although I would smile and be polite, I would still want to punch you in the face if you rescheduled because I didn't have an HR24.

I just ordered on-line. I added in the notes to installer (for whatever good it will do), that I would only accept new, latest model receivers and DVR's. Since I paid $300 plus tax to get 2 HDDVR's and 2 HD receivers, I sure hope I get the latest models.

BTW, you paid $200 for a 2nd HD/DVR and $100 for the second HD receiver.
That is about half the price they would cost you if you had to actually had to buy them from D*.
So again, since you went this route and decided to order directly, please do not cancel if you don't get what you want.

You actually saved quite a bit of money for what you ordered .... if you were not a new sub, the HD DVR's are $ 199 and HD Recvrs are $ 99 each.

Remember, regardless, your "just Leasing" !

If you want guaranteed equipment, then go to a retailer and take the deal they give you.

Otherwise, if you refuse the work order, you cost the installer, his time in coming out, his gas (in some cases) and cut his pay for the day because if you were not taking up space on his route, he would have had a different job. (For me, you would have cost me over $100 for the day). Also, many installers are graded on a point system which is affected by jobs completed. I am on a sliding pay scale myself and if your reschedule was the one that dropped me below where I needed to be (and reschedules hit hard) you could cost me $500 +/- for the month.

Basically, although I would smile and be polite, I would still want to punch you in the face if you rescheduled because I didn't have an HR24.

Another reason why working BY THE JOB sux.

Thus, the installer goes to the next job and RUSHES thru it and on to the next job to make up for it, mean while, while rushing, gets your signal good, but not great, days or weeks later your numbers are not what they need to be and your having trouble with your set up and someone else is scheduled to come out to fix it.....

BTW, you paid $200 for a 2nd HD/DVR and $100 for the second HD receiver.
That is about half the price they would cost you if you had to actually had to buy them from D*.
So again, since you went this route and decided to order directly, please do not cancel if you don't get what you want.

Something else, most are not mentioning about local installers ... they are not working for FREE, so the install that D* was doing for you, supplying the dish, coax, MS and whatever that was FREE, your retailer will more than likely CHARGE you for this install.

I have yet to hear how much most are charging for a typical install.

Another reason why working BY THE JOB sux.

Thus, the installer goes to the next job and RUSHES thru it and on to the next job to make up for it, mean while, while rushing, gets your signal good, but not great, days or weeks later your numbers are not what they need to be and your having trouble with your set up and someone else is scheduled to come out to fix it.....

This why I like IV that is in D* receivers.
If the signal is not darn near perfect, the receiver will not activate.
I suppose you could forget to locket it down properly, but I tighten the collar down on all the dishes with my impact which means it will never move.
I also before I pack my truck go over the entire install one last time as it takes 2 minutes (even if I have 5 jobs in a day, it only ads a total of 10 minutes which is less time that having to go back)

Yes, there are points where working by the job sux and some advantages to being hourly.
However, on average, I probably make more money then you average hourly employee.

Something else, most are not mentioning about local installers ... they are not working for FREE, so the install that D* was doing for you, supplying the dish, coax, MS and whatever that was FREE, your retailer will more than likely CHARGE you for this install.

This is not an accurate statement at all. RSP's hire out subs, which pay for their own materials too. As a sub, I only charged for pole mounts, wall fishes and excess use of cable, and this was only occasionally. RSP's do not charge for pole mounts anymore or excess cable, but good luck getting one to do a wall fish.

When you go through a retailer, the installer is most often much more experience. He is also paid better and treated better. Unless a customer is asking for excess work, I don't see a retail installer trying to pull money from the customer.

This is not an accurate statement at all. RSP's hire out subs, which pay for their own materials too. As a sub, I only charged for pole mounts, wall fishes and excess use of cable, and this was only occasionally. RSP's do not charge for pole mounts anymore or excess cable, but good luck getting one to do a wall fish.

When you go through a retailer, the installer is most often much more experience. He is also paid better and treated better. Unless a customer is asking for excess work, I don't see a retail installer trying to pull money from the customer.

Jimbo that is an accurate statement if were the mid 90's. Retailers offer the same promotions as anyone else. Some retailers even offer a little better deal than what 1 could get online or from the 800 #'s. Dishstore for example has a pretty good rebate on top of the regular promos.
Here is a real important factor. If someone is in an all mpeg4 market & there are many. All equipment is hd equipment. This is when a retailer is really worthwhile to talk to. If someone in 1 of these markets calls in or orders online & tells rep they have 4 hd/tvs & want hd/dvr/mrv on all. They will be paying some money out of pocket even though they're in an mpeg4 market. Now that same person goes through a retailer in the same market. A smart retailer & there are many can build that same order with 1hd/dvr/mrv & 3 hd receivers, it won't cost a dime & will be included with the free standard install.

Our office does not charge for pole mounts, they are part of our standard install. We do have custom labor charges for, wall fishes, home theater/surround hooks ups, driveway & sidewalk bores, mounting & hanging tvs, etc, etc. A standard install is free to the customer & does include all cabling, hardware, etc..

We order $20,000 to $30,000 a month in equipment D* & E* combined. The only receivers we get from our D* supplier are the 24 series.

I am a huge advocate of going with your local retailer. As with anything always do your homework as there are some shady ones also.
I can talk with someone for less than 5 mins face to face and be able to tell if they would be someone I'd do business with. :cool:

You can get it if you don't mind pushing. It might require a couple reschedules. When the tech pre calls, make sure you tell him you want new equipment. If he doesn't have one, youcan offer a small bribe (tip) to make sure you get one.

This stuff is not like the ice cream vendor or local drug dealer. You get what is on the truck...which is what was sent from the central supply warehouse. As time passes supplies catch up. continue to be available and become obsolete.

So my advice is to accept whatever arrives. Try it with the tech present. If it does not meet your needs refuse the installation. They will not turn on your service. There could be a delay until other boxes become available.

My practice was to bring the boxes with the Work Order when knocking on the door. Put the boxes where they would be installed and inspect the TVs for compatibility.
It is at that point where you could begin the discussion......the tech may not have the correct equipment anyway and you should discover this early in the visit. There is a chance another truck is in the area with alternative equipment.

This is, after all, only television; television with HD commercials.

Roll on!

Joe

I will say this, is the HR24 the nicest HD/DVR?

Yes

However, in all honesty all the other HD/DVR's will be more then efficient for any customer.

The 24 although better, gets hyped up more then it is worth worrying about and for people to keep turning away installs.

Take what you get or go to a retailer.

This stuff is not like the ice cream vendor or local drug dealer. You get what is on the truck...which is what was sent from the central supply warehouse. As time passes supplies catch up. continue to be available and become obsolete.

So my advice is to accept whatever arrives. Try it with the tech present. If it does not meet your needs refuse the installation. They will not turn on your service. There could be a delay until other boxes become available.

Joe

A lot of these techs are not busy right now. If they are getting a light route, they may go out of their way to make sure they find one. Each and every circumstance will be different.

When you call, be nice to the csr. I did when I called to up grade to hd. I asked if I could get a hr24. I even told the csr that if I did get a hr24 he could come over for a bbq on the first sunday of football season. He laughed and said he would put it in his notes that I requested a hr24. When the install techs came, they had a hr24. Be nice to others, you will be suprised what you get and can get away with.

I'm glad it worked out for you but I'm guessing you just got lucky.
The person on the phone doesn't run down stairs and watch the shipping person pull an HR24 to ship out to you, or they don't drive or get on a plane to fly to your local city and make sure the installer that comes over has an HR24 for you. You usually get whatever the shipping person sends you as long as it's an HD DVR, and the local installers deliver whatever HD DVRs they have on the truck at the time.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)