Install tomorrow. MRV Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Viventis

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
Hickory, NC
I am scheduled for morning installation of my DTV service including MRV. The on-line help says to make sure their is an open electrical outlet at each tv for the MRV. Does this require an entirely open outlet? All of my tv's are connected to surge protectors. With all of the peripherals, etc., I doubt I can free up any outlets. Can the MRV module plug into a power strip? Does it need both plugs on the receptacle?

you need an outlet for the reciever.
if its an swm you will need another outlet at the dvr for the power inserter
and that was it for mysetup

oh i needed one at the reciever for the modulator as my sd dtv didnt have any plugs the h24 would work with

The Deca adapters aren't connected to power. Only the SWiM power inserter is . There is only one of each of those. They will want to plug it into an outlet not a surge suppressor or a UPS. As soon as the installer was done I unplugged it from the wall and plugged it into my UPS. Apparently some folks have accidentally (or intentionally) turned off their surge suppressor and can't figure out why they lose their satellite signal.

The only other place that needs power is the deca adapter at your router (or the cinema connection kit).

Each receiver will need a 110 power supply either by a wall socket or power strip.

At 1 location you will need an additional 110 power supply for the power inserter that goes with the system (this does not have to be at the DVR).
It is prefered we plug it directly in to the wall but this is not a must.

If you are having an internet connection which I suggest if you have high speed internet with a router, you will need a 110 outlet to power the Broad Band Deca.

If you are shy an outlet, worst case scenario the installer will unplug something like a DVD player to do the install and you go buy an additional power strip later.

You are on the edge of my companies route, I have 1 installer that works in Hickory.
Post or PM me your name and will let you know if you are on my route sheet.

Thanks kjlued. PM sent. I had plenty of connections available since I use surge supressors, I just didn't know if I needed an entire wall outlet free. Now to figure out how to use all my new equipment subscriptions. After the installers left, all 4 of my boxes did a software upgrade. Two of them lost the local channels afterwords. A call to DTV to reauthorize solved that. DTV sent me an email with a link to reauthorize my boxes myself if I ever need to again.

For some reason it seems that many receivers lately have been losing locals after the software download.
This is at least the 3rd post I have seen on this in the last couple days.

Read your PM, glad your install went really well.
Seems like the D* subs did a jam up job and went above and beyond the norm.

Also it is important not to use an outlet controlled by a wall switch. If power inserter is plugged in there everything dies when switch is off. If it is just a receiver then it will reboot every time switch is turned off/on. Or worse, you dont figure that out your stuff is on a switched outlet and that becomes a PIA for everybody.

Thanks kjlued. PM sent. I had plenty of connections available since I use surge supressors, I just didn't know if I needed an entire wall outlet free. Now to figure out how to use all my new equipment subscriptions. After the installers left, all 4 of my boxes did a software upgrade. Two of them lost the local channels afterwords. A call to DTV to reauthorize solved that. DTV sent me an email with a link to reauthorize my boxes myself if I ever need to again.
the installer didnt upgrade the softeware? i though they all did that as part of the install
i know mine did. well he had to to get the mrv to work right

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts