New installation: 4K mini for non 4K TVs

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

magnumis

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 23, 2016
Midwest
I ordered DirecTv today with the following:

Qty Description
1 DIRECTV® Genie
3 DIRECTV® 4K Genie Mini

Did I make the correct decision to request 4K minis? I do not have a 4K TV yet but I wanted to have equipment that would last me for the 2 year contract. Is there any reason to not use the 4K minis for non 4K TVs?

Please also let me know if you have any general advice to help make the installation go well.

Thanks!

IDK?......I would do the same thing, gives you flexibility....but a bit surprised you can do it, seeing that with setup you will only be able to stream on 4k feed at a time.....

Will D* even do a 4K install without a 4K TV already there ?

no. they're supposed to check if the TV is even 4k capable before they install the mini (not all 4k TV's have the HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 required port). if the mini does not display the "your TV is 4k capable" message while its looking for a server, the tech is supposed to install a regular mini instead.

Is the 4K mini being referred to here also known as the C61K?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IDK?......I would do the same thing, gives you flexibility....but a bit surprised you can do it, seeing that with setup you will only be able to stream on 4k feed at a time.....

Will the 4k mini work with a non-4k tv?

Will the 4k mini work with a non-4k tv?
I haven't installed any, but I would see no reason that it wouldn't, UNLESS the connection configuration is different for a 4K set up vs non 4K.

Obviously you won't have the picture quality you would with 4K.

the C61k works just fine with D* programming of all resolutions. it's simply the only one capable of displaying 4k as well.

I repeat myself... we are not permitted to install 4k on a non4k display.. your order will be modded at the time of install. Also no tech is going to have 3 on their truck. 1 is lucky and usually we need to drive around to get that. This order will either be modded or rescheduled by local to accomidate. I recommend you call customer service and request an "FSR be sent to the local operations distro" to contact you prior to install to clarify questions you have regarding the install. Do not accept any answer you are given from a 1 800 number. I'm telling you future proofing the way you want to is not allowed, and I wouldn't recommend it for a number of reasons already mentioned in posts above.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Reactions: AZ. and mdram

Qty Description
1 DIRECTV® Genie
3 DIRECTV® 4K Genie Mini

Did I make the correct decision to request 4K minis? I do not have a 4K TV yet but I wanted to have equipment that would last me for the 2 year contract. Is there any reason to not use the 4K minis for non 4K TVs?

Please also let me know if you have any general advice to help make the installation go well.

Thanks!

It can be done BUT
If that's what you want, you'll have to buy (lease to be exact) from an online vendor such as Solid Signal.
HR54 is $299.00 , C61k are $99.00 each

Doctor j

Qty Description
1 DIRECTV® Genie
3 DIRECTV® 4K Genie Mini

Thanks!
And in two years when new and better equipment comes out, you will be stuck with two-year technology. Because no way in hell will AT&T let you upgrade the equipment.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)