New Interactive Media Guide Coming To FIOS TV

Kaos

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003

Wow, new features just after the price increase. Did I call that one or did I call that one. So, any existing subscriber that wants to obtain these new features will get the prilidge of paying the new pricing structure for the basic serivces. Wow, it's great to be on the leading edge of techno&%$# oops, marketing.

Where did you come up with that idea?

The new software will be pushed out to all of the boxes without having to upgrade.

All boxes or all Media boxes? Some of us did not see much benefit in the Media box, some of us like those that use HD. Also, this is a little confusing. I could swear that I read that the 'device' was being made available to NJ residents. That would imply hardware, right?

Anyone in the know that can tell us how this works would be appreciated.

The software upgrade is coming to all Verizon STBs and DVRs. A subscription to the multiroom functionality isn't required.

Several thousand customers in New Jersey got the software upgrade this week on their SD STBs and HD DVRs (HD STBs to follow). Most customers in other states will get it in March/April, assuming no significant issues are discovered in the NJ rollout.

If you live in New Jersey, and got the upgrade this week, please feel free to give your impressions and/or post screenshots.

Last edited:
The software upgrade is coming to all Verizon STBs and DVRs. A subscription to the multiroom functionality isn't required.

Several thousand customers in New Jersey got the software upgrade this week on their SD STBs and HD DVRs (HD STBs to follow). Most customers in other states will get it in March/April, assuming no significant issues are discovered in the NJ rollout.

If you live in New Jersey, and got the upgrade this week, please feel free to give your impressions and/or post screenshots.

Ken F-
Over on DSLReports in the FIOS TV forum, there is a member from Jersey that has the new guide on his SD STB and has posted pictures.

Thanks for the info on the March/April timeframe. I'm looking forward to it.

That would be me. Here's a link:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,17597243~start=40

Since the HD boxes (note that they are DVRs, but no new software) still have the old software that's my only source of comparison. It's quite nice but I'm having mucho problems keeping those SD boxes connected to the network. Got VZ coming out again tomorrow to try to get to the bottom of it.

Couple of things to look at.

Did you change the defaults, any of them, on the router? Anything like the IP address range or DNS settings? Using the default load from VZ this can cause some problems.

Is the wiring terminated by VZ or someone else? If someone else terminated the cables, have the VZ tech re-terminate all ends.

Last, make sure that your wiring is not running near or over any florescent lighting sources. Since the standard wiring is using none to light shielding inference may be the problem.

Hope this helps.

Browsing thru the OD stuff last night, it looks like they are testing HD OD. They have a new category for ESPN on the main page, then there is HD Content. No selections in there, but the category is there. Hopefully they will get us some HD OD soon!

-John

Can you comment on the changes and what you like or don't like?

Very easy to navigate and read. I've read reports of the boxes being slow to react and I've seen a bit of myself on the HD DVRs but the SD boxes don't exhibit that behavior.

You can choose to either have the guide full screen or half screen and search feature seems easy enough though I haven't really needed to use it. I'm not a big VOD users so I can't really comment much on that except to say that it's easy enough to use.

Widgets are nice to have...instant access to weather and traffic and you can customize it by zip code.

Overall I'm thrilled with the service, but there are some things that need to be improved. On the DVRs, there should be a series recording choice to only record new shows. It has to be pretty simple to implement since my half assed cable company, Patriot Media, managed to do it.

I think the timers should be improved also. Right now they record a bit early and end late. That's a nice choice to have but it should be an option. If it is, I haven't found it. But it shouldn't be necessary either. The clock should be dead on accurate and insynch with the networks. Again, I never missed a show with cable company's DVR.

As mentioned earlier, the remote is not responsive enough when FF or RW through a show. The result is that you could go 30 seconds too far. Again, the cable company's software was better. I should also point out that they use the same hardware as VZ so I know it's not the hardware.

It does seem like the programming is more up to date than the cable company. The other night CSI:NY was pushed back to 10:30 by the president's address. That update showed up in the guide and the timer I set picked it up.

All in all, given the picture quality and value for the dollar combined with customer service that blows the company away, I don't regret the various start up headaches. They were all related to network issues so I was never worse off than I was with the cable company.

If you've got something specific you'd like to know, just ask.

On the DVRs, there should be a series recording choice to only record new shows. It has to be pretty simple to implement since my half assed cable company, Patriot Media, managed to do it.

Rob-
There is an option for this. When you go into the Series recording, choose "Record Options" - and it lets you change it to "New shows only".

Very easy to navigate and read. I've read reports of the boxes being slow to react and I've seen a bit of myself on the HD DVRs but the SD boxes don't exhibit that behavior.

I have the SD boxes. They are normally fast, but do get sluggish when recieving a guide update.

Well, that was buried quite nicely in there. Thanks.

As long as we're on a roll here, with the cable company's software, I was able to completely turn off the front panel when the box was off. I know it sounds silly, but that clock lights up my entire bedroom. Any way you know of to kill it?

Well, that was buried quite nicely in there. Thanks.

As long as we're on a roll here, with the cable company's software, I was able to completely turn off the front panel when the box was off. I know it sounds silly, but that clock lights up my entire bedroom. Any way you know of to kill it?

One of the best questions to date. I have the same problem, temporarily fixed with a piece of black tape over the display (careful to not cover the IR port). Hate not being able to use the clock in the daytime, but I'd rather sleep at night.

I was able to completely turn off the front panel when the box was off. I know it sounds silly, but that clock lights up my entire bedroom. Any way you know of to kill it?
Duct tape, baby!!! :D Works great for me!

-John

EDIT: someone beat me to it... that's 2 votes for duct tape! HAHA

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)