New iPad Pros

lparsons21

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 17, 2009
Herrin, IL 62948
This weekend lots of places are having great sales on iPads of all sorts including the Pro models. I had been contemplating replacing my 1st gen iPad Pro 12.9” for quite awhile and finally bit the bullet.
Went to BestBuy fully intending to trade my 1st gen for a new 11” one as the price was really attractive. But after looking them over, decided on the 12.9” again. Couldn’t be happier!
Got the 64Gb base model as that is more than enough storage for my uses. The new one is lighter and smaller than the 1st gen though the screen is the same size. A couple of things got my attention right away:
1. The new USB-C charger and cable is much shorter than what came with the 1st gen.
2. FaceID even though it has to be set up in portrait mode, also works in either portrait or landscape after that. I like that. Note that on the iPhone that isn’t the case.
I have ordered both the Apple Smart Keyboard Folio and a pretty cheap Bluetooth setup to see which I like. Neither were available in the store so ordering was the only way to get them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Note that on the iPhone that isn’t the case.

True, but how often do you ever open your iphone in landscape mode? The only time I put my iphone in landscape mode is to watch videos in landscape and to read a document that doesn't word wrap for a 9x16 screen(rare). Most of the time I open my ipad in landscape. Was I programmed to think that way by Apple or just that it feels natural?

Congrats on the ipad upgrade. Personally, I find using the iphone now much more than my ipad. I took the ipad, surface pro, and iphone Xs Max with me on my last trip and the ipad never made it out of my carry-on.

Yeah, faceid in landscape on the phone is not important, but it really is on the iPad Pros. My 12.9 never goes on a trip with me, I have a standard iPad w/cellular for trips and use it quite a bit while in the hotel room.
I’ve started my looking for a good keyboard case for the 12.9” and while there are quite a few out there, almost all of them have a single tilt angle. That works fine if you want to use it at a desk but not so good if I want to use it on my lap while in the recliner. Prices for them are all over the place, starting about $50 for the Bluetooth ones and up to $200 for Apple’s official version.
I got one from Amazon for about $50 that is not bad. Single tilt angle but it seems not too awkward and unlike the official Apple one, it has good protection all around the iPad. The reviews were good but there was some back and forth about backlighting with some saying yes others said no. Turns out the 11” version has backlighting, the 12.9” doesn’t. I’ll probably return it and look for one similar with backlighting.
The bigger problem with all of the 3rd party keyboard cases is the weight they add. All of them are much heavier than the official one. Not as bad as Zagg’s was on the original 12.9” iPad Pro, but still heavier.
The tilt angle is a big issue though. That is one thing I found on the Surface Pro was their superb tilting mechanism, wish Apple had done the same thing.
I didn’t use the Apple Pencil much on the previous one but liked it when I did. Decided that I didn’t need to spend that much on a new one for this newer model, so I got the Logitech Crayon instead. $50 beats the hell out of Apple’s official pricing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

We bought the grandkids ipads for Christmas and their dad bought them the pencil and a keyboard/cover that holds the pencil too. Nice setup and the kids don't go anywhere without them. I have the Surface Pro with the Keypad too. My biggest complaint was the single USB port but finally they came out with a powered hub that fits the side of the SP. I can plug an external USB hard drive in and it works. After my first ipad I stopped buying the cellular version. Works just as well with wifi and the hotspot.

New iOS dropped today, iOS 12.4 That usually means that all supported Apple devices will have updates, too.

Reactions: frank c.
My iPhone 8 Plus is now on the same version as everyone else now since we had a special version. My wife’s friend couldn’t upgrade her 8 to the XS due to the version being “newer”. Now she can since the new update is out.

My iPad3 just sits and spins and never updates, not even over 24 hours.

I’ll have to research this.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys App. For now.

Reactions: Foxbat
My Father-in-Law gave up on his iPad3 and recently replaced it with a 6th Gen iPad for $249 from BB. At some point you have to realize it isn't going to be worth the grief. Plus, Apple stops supporting the older versions of their products.

Navy, try plugging in your iPad3 to see if that helps.

I did. No joy.

I can still use it to read SatelliteGuys and other sites. I bought a later model for my wife for her use. The 3 doesn’t get used much, but is easier to read.

Do you have auto updates set? Shut it off. Then do a hard reboot and reset. There are no more updates for the ipad 3. Wife is still using hers for internet and email. Grandkids switch to it for some games when their own has low battery. The grandkids is a Gen 6 we got during the Christmas sales for under $200 each.

I have an air 2 which doesn't support the pencil but otherwise is quite satisfactory. I recently bough this accessory for it and it works great! Some of the reviews are stupid as I don't have any of the problems reported. Only complaint is I have to reposition the keyboard when setting up, that's just an inconvenience but it functions as claimed. Pairs instantly every time Battery lasts for weeks as long as I shut it off when not using.

Amazon product ASIN B07KG5PFMZ

There is just this one update for the iPad 3 and some other old stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts