This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

New Issue: Connection How-To Needed!

mitch5252

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2004
Enjoying the fruits of YOUR labor in giving me advice last week. But I AM BACK. New problem! I REALLY could use some simple instructions to hook up 'my stuff'. I have Directv and a Vizio SmartTV with 'built-in' Netflix and Amazon (among others, which I don't use).

My equipment:

Vizio E43-F1 TV (3 HDMI spots, one says ARC)
Directv Receiver HR24
Sony Receiver STR-DH590

Which cable would go where to be able to use the Directv Receiver through the Sony Receiver, AND which cable would go where to be able to use Netflix/Amazon through receiver? It sure has me dumbfounded.

Right now, I have the Directv hooked directly to Sony via HDMI. And Sony to TV via HDMI. Directv works fine. I can't get Netflix/Amazon to work...

Thanks for your help once again! Please speak down to me, in your simplest terms!

Reactions: Howard Simmons
Should be..
Direct tv box hdmi to sony hdmi-1
Sony hdmi arc out to tv hdmi arc in.

The direct tv gives sound to sony while picture passes thru to tv.

When tv is in 'app mode' it will(should) supply sound to sony via arc (audio return channel).

Sent from my SM-G930P using the SatelliteGuys app!

Never could understand why manufacturers don't use banana plugs for the surrounds also.

Never could understand why manufacturers don't use banana plugs for the surrounds also.
Some manufacturers do use banana plugs for all the speaker outputs. My Denon AVR3400H does, was does the Onkyo AVR we have up north. Makes winterizing go a lot easier in the spring as all the connections are labeled.