New L1.16 update software bug list

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Allamand

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 5, 2003
Can someone confirm this for me..

i went into "Guide" to set up a recording for Battleship Gal. this Monday on SciFi, set it up with the default "1 min before and 3 min after"

Then I seen in the guide that the next one started at 10:10, so I went back to the timer and changed the pad to end to "15"

When I looked in the list, it said "start 1 min early" nothing else, so i went back to the Timer, and sure enough, the pad was "0"!!!

Changed again to +15 pad, and clicked "done" and sure enogh, again in the list it said "start 1 min early", so for the thrid time I went into the Timer for this and the pad was "0"..

So then i clicked the "set time" button, and here it showed that it was set to record from 8 to 10"40

What the ???

This is really going to mess people up.. nothing like having another "Extra" step to check your Pad time!

And I really could of cared less for more then a 29min pad.. Sorry guys, but if this is there fix for it.. I want the other way back!

Edit the timer and change the time on the timer to what you want it to end and there you are ; the padding you want. Remember to hit create or you will get a timer conflict resolution screen. I found this out with L115 software. I do a lot of timer editing to fix my recording blocks. I really don't use the padding screen on the front of the timer. In fact since most of my timers are manual for recording blocks of two hours it automatically pads my timers by 3 minutes. This is why I will go back and edit the time on the timer from say 7:00 to 9:00 to 7:00 to 8:57 , and then the automatic 3 minutes padding will stop the timer at 9:00.

You just have to relearn new ways to do what you used to do. It's a pain, but since they are always changing the software by satellite update then it is a constant. ;)

MikeD-C05 said:
You just have to relearn new ways to do what you used to do. It's a pain, but since they are always changing the software by satellite update then it is a constant. ;)

You don't have to relearn anything - I've been using the start and end padding as you would expect to use them just fine. What does happen, especially with the start padding (if it's more than 1 minute), is it changes the start time and sets the padding back to 0. It's done this with every software version I've had. So if the show starts at 8 and you pad 3 minutes early, it changes the start time to 7:57 and sets the padding to 0. I've never noticed this happen with the end times, but maybe it does.

Dennis

Padding definately changed on the last software update with L115. The padding automatically goes to 3 minutes when you extend a normal recording during the edit process. Like I said before if I extend a manual timer for like 2 hours of time the timer will reflect 3 minutes padding on the end of the program whether I want it to or not. Even if I zero out the padding it will come back when I push create. The work around, as to not cause a conflict, is to change the timer end time in the edit process to 8:57 instead of 9:00 and the automatic 3 minutes padding will kick in and end at 9:00 anyway. Then there is no conflict with anything that records at 9:00.

Not everyone will record in manual blocks , but I do ,to get the folders option and cut down on the amount of timers . They still have a limit of 65 timers and I do record a lot of movies.

Ya, I'm going to have to start setting up more timers with the "Folders" option, thus manual timers.

I sure wish Dish had changed this. I really don't know why they can't or didn't. If one was to make a timer manual for say channel 122 from 5pm to 10pm, and then do the same in the Guide, the two timers show up the same way in the Timers list, yet only the manual timer records with "Folders"

IMO, any timer that spans more then one show should do this.

Agreed .

The funny thing is the manual timer will have the first show as the name of the recording block when it is through recording. Then you can individually see each show and hit info for each show in the recording through the folders. This would truely be great if you could have folders like this for all timers that went over the regular time allotment. Then more people out there would actually record more shows in blocks.

One of the complaints before by the other readers was that they didn't want to watch shows in the order they were listed by the networks. This new folders option in the manual timer is just what they asked for.

Maybe I'm odd because I think the "folder" thing when you record a block is annoying. I don't want to have to remember that I need to select Friends in the PVR list to watch ER. I'd rather have all the shows just listed in the PVR menu. That's part of the reason I don't use blocks (the other being the only "block" I actually watch is CSI/Without a Trace).

Ideally what I'd like is for it to create some kind of folder thing for each show. So every episode of Friends would get put into the Friends folder. Then you'd just see one listing for Friends on the PVR menu, and when you select it, it would show every episode you have. My Replay unit did this in a grid format and it was great - you could easily see how many eps of a show you had, then select each one to see the description.

Dennis

I guess it depands on what the block is. When I want to record a block on SciFi of Stargate on Mondays, I would rather not have to set up 4 timers.

A block with the folders lets me see the tittle of the show with out have to FF through 4 hours.

The trouble also with them 4 timers instead of one, is if i also have another timer set for Monday at the same time as the Scifi ones, the 721 sometimes has a hard time as to which "tunner" to use.

Say it is recording on tuner1 from 7-8, you also have another timer set to record 8-9 on the same channel as the show recording 7-8 and yet another timer on a different channel 8-9.. the 721 goes to record the two shows set for 8-9, but there is a "Conflict" as the 7-8 show is still recording,

But what,,, if the 7-8 is the same channel as the 8-9, they 721 should know this, right... I have seen it get confused by this, but if it's set in a block there isn't a problem

So blocks do have there place,, IMO

dbronstein said:
Ideally what I'd like is for it to create some kind of folder thing for each show. So every episode of Friends would get put into the Friends folder. Then you'd just see one listing for Friends on the PVR menu, and when you select it, it would show every episode you have. My Replay unit did this in a grid format and it was great - you could easily see how many eps of a show you had, then select each one to see the description.

Dennis

On the PVR recorded events page, if you select "sort by name" on the 721 and "name sort", I believe it is, on the 5XX receivers, it will set it up in folders as asked for by Dennis above. It lists all shows alphabetically and then if there is more than one of the same show it will show them all together by date.

Allamand said:
Say it is recording on tuner1 from 7-8, you also have another timer set to record 8-9 on the same channel as the show recording 7-8 and yet another timer on a different channel 8-9.. the 721 goes to record the two shows set for 8-9, but there is a "Conflict" as the 7-8 show is still recording,

But what,,, if the 7-8 is the same channel as the 8-9, they 721 should know this, right... I have seen it get confused by this, but if it's set in a block there isn't a problem

So blocks do have there place,, IMO

I bet you have problems with this because you are padding the timers. I do this all the time and never have a problem. For example, I have timers set up for CSI (8-9 on CBS), Without a Trace (9-10 on CBS) and ER (9-10 on NBC). As long as I don't end pad CSI and start pad Without a Trace, it works fine.

I'm not saying blocks don't have their place - escpecially if you are getting up to the 64 timer limit - but for me personally they just complicate things.

Dennis

As for the folders, I really don't understand why they can't do this. They already check if a show has the same name for the same day, if it does it places (2) in front of the 2nd one, and so on. If there could only be an optioned to put everything under the same name into another PVR recording, except this one would have an icon, indicating it's a folder.

gary s said:
On the PVR recorded events page, if you select "sort by name" on the 721 and "name sort", I believe it is, on the 5XX receivers, it will set it up in folders as asked for by Dennis above. It lists all shows alphabetically and then if there is more than one of the same show it will show them all together by date.

That's not quite the same thing. It still lists every recording in the PVR list, it just sorts them by name. What I'm talking about is that if you have say 4 episodes of Friends, you would just have one entry for Friends in the PVR list. No, it's not a huge difference, but when you've used software that does do it better, you see how much better it can be.

Dennis

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts