New member(AMC4 versus INTELSAT 805 for RTPI)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gabe1

Original poster
Jan 2, 2006
:confused:
Hello everyone

I am trying to help my father, his dish is pointed at INTELSAT 805
he is only interested in receiving RTPI and he loses signal a lot with no storms
The signal just seems to go away and come back when ever it feels like it.

He has a 10' mesh dish with a uniden receiver with C LNB and ku LNB
The system is about 14 years old and the only upgrade was a starpro
mpeg box because RPTI moved from the old c band to the mpeg format.

What can I do to get better reception with a system like this?
I notice lot people in this forum are using AMC4 in KU?

Is the AMC KU better then c band INTELSAT 805 ?

We are located in Connecticut USA

Thanks
Gabriel

Hello and WELCOME to the SatelliteGuys.US FTA forum.

Yes that channel/Transponder (RTPi) is very stable for me using a 36" Dish and an Invacom QPH-031 LNBF.

Right now its very over cast and I am getting a signal quality of 90%+

If you are having problems with signal coming and going, and it is not the fault of the motor drive function, it is highly possible that you should consider replacing the C-band LNB. Your description paints a picture of an older analog C-band LNB that may be drifting with changes in temperature. Even a "cheap" digitally rated C-band LNB would likely be an improvement. Or you could consider a high stability (500 KHz or better local oscillator drift rating) LNB for a bit more money, which could be considered an insurance policy to keep those digital signals running. If your father likes Portuguese language signals, there are a number of them on the same satellite from Brazil, too.

No matter what you do, you will have to buy a new LNB or a Ku-band LNBF with offset dish at some point. It has been my experience that if you have mechanical details under control, that C-band will be more reliable in the long run and not subject to weather interruptions. Even during thunderstorms. That cannot be said about Ku-band.

Good luck!

Thanks for your replay guys
It's always nice to hear from people that know about the obscure world of satellite technology :)

"and it is not the fault of the motor drive function" do you mean the motor that moves the antena? we dont use it anymore the antena is always fixed in one position.
Also the old starpro box does not have all the setting in the menu like the PID
Should I also upgrade the mpeg-2 box to something more recent?

Thanks again
Gabriel

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts