New Message on my Hopper3

dweber

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 29, 2005
Plain City, OH
In the past the Program Guide on my Hopper3 receivers would update when the Hopper3 was shut off. Today when I turned on my Family Room Hopper3 receiver a message was present. I do not have that message on my Living Room Hopper3 receiver. Here is a picture showing the message

IMG_0232.JPG

I have been watching the local news for 29 minutes and the message has stayed constant at 95% complete.
Any ideas what is going on?

I finally rebooted my Family Room Hopper3 receiver since the message would not go away. The message is now gone after the reboot and the Guide is now downloading while the receiver is off.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Last edited:
I used to see that message on my Wally, without an external hard drive attached, every time I would reboot it. That was normal since it did not have an external hard drive to store the extended guide, so it would frequently have to update the two-day guide. It is very rare that I see that message on a Wally with an external hard drive attached, or on any Hopper with a working internal hard drive. Usually in that case, it would just be a one-time thing when setting up the receiver for the very first time after activating it. Then after that, it usually just updates the guide while the receiver is in standby.

Whenever I would watch the guide download on my Wally, it did seem to hang for a long while at 95% before finally completing the download. A 29 minute+ wait is very excessive, though. Unless your Hopper 3 has been so busy lately that it had not had the chance to download the guide the last time it was in standby, it is possible that this message could be a sign that your hard drive (or at least the section that stores the guide) is starting to fail. If this message is just a one-time thing, or happens very rarely, just ignore it. If it starts happening frequently, though, then it may be time for a replacement receiver.

If it's d/l'ing while in standby and you turn it on, this is what you'll see. I get to watch it every day on every Hopper I install

Reactions: pattykay
If it's d/l'ing while in standby and you turn it on, this is what you'll see. I get to watch it every day on every Hopper I install
Good to know. When I see my receiver is doing a guide download, I always wait for it to finish the download before I turn it on. There is usually an interruption in the middle of the guide download where it goes back to the regular screensaver for awhile before the guide download resumes. So, I have to pay close attention to the percentage displayed. If it is anything less than 95%, then the download is not complete, even if the regular screensaver returns. (The percentage never actually displays 100% unfortunately. The end of the guide download also brings back the screensaver.) I can easily see how someone might not be aware that the guide is still downloading, and go ahead and turn the receiver back on early.

If I remember the original Hopper with the old interface correctly, it always kept the guide download screen in the screensaver the entire time, until the download actually completed. This interruption in the middle of the guide download was introduced by the Carbon interface, and it has happened with every model of Hopper and Wally that I have used since then. I think the interruption may be caused when the download shifts from the standard two-day guide to the extended nine-day guide data for receivers with hard drives.

Now, on my Wally, even after the guide download completes, I still get "No information available" all the way across in the guide when I go to the guide right after turning the receiver on. I have to skip all the way forward to a new section of the guide (that was not already included in the old guide download, in other words almost nine days out) before the guide data actually appears. Then at that point, the entire guide works just fine.

Now, on my Wally, even after the guide download completes, I still get "No information available" all the way across in the guide when I go to the guide right after turning the receiver on. I have to skip all the way forward to a new section of the guide (that was not already included in the old guide download, in other words almost nine days out) before the guide data actually appears. Then at that point, the entire guide works just fine.
That's an odd thing, I see on Hoppers, also, where guide finishes loading and there's still No Information showing in the guide. What I do is just a soft reboot and normally (Because there is no every time with a Hopper) when it comes back to live TV, the guide is completely filled in. The thing I do like about it that unlike the VIP's and prior, you can watch TV while the Guide is downloading

That's an odd thing, I see on Hoppers, also, where guide finishes loading and there's still No Information showing in the guide. What I do is just a soft reboot and normally (Because there is no every time with a Hopper) when it comes back to live TV, the guide is completely filled in. The thing I do like about it that unlike the VIP's and prior, you can watch TV while the Guide is downloading
Next time, try my work-around (going all the way forward in the guide) and see if that works to fill in the guide information. (Even when you reach the end of the guide, you may still need to skip back and skip forward again a time or two before it actually works.) For me, this is much faster than rebooting the receiver would be. :)

Reactions: HipKat
Next time, try my work-around (going all the way forward in the guide) and see if that works to fill in the guide information. (Even when you reach the end of the guide, you may still need to skip back and skip forward again a time or two before it actually works.) For me, this is much faster than rebooting the receiver would be. :)
I definitely will

Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts