new more local channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Harlan tsosie

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2016
new mexico
will directv ever add more local channels? such as Cometv, movietvnetwork & Urban movie channel just to name a few!

What about Cozi or the other diginets. Would that be done national or on a market basis.

Cozi isn't a local channel, either. It is carried by some local channels, but usually by a subchannel, which means Directv won't carry it.

I thought Cozi was created as a replacement for the local NBC digi weather networks.

Cozi isn't a local channel, either. It is carried by some local channels, but usually by a subchannel, which means Directv won't carry it.

Dish found a way to do it..I think it family something in the paid channel section

FETV carries Cozi at certain hours. That is why you see it. Laff TV (another diginet) is now carried by what was Blue Highways TV so that is on ISH as well. Not sure taht DTV has anything comparable.

Dish found a way to do it..I think it family something in the paid channel section
The question was whether or not Directv would carry more locals like Cometv. I simply answered the question. It could be that Directv will carry some of these at some point, but not because they are locals, since they aren't.

The question was whether or not Directv would carry more locals like Cometv. I simply answered the question. It could be that Directv will carry some of these at some point, but not because they are locals, since they aren't.

Would they ever be carried as local channels when they come up for renewals or as national networks. Most cables companies have them lumped into local carriage agreements.

I wasn't aware that cable companies considered them as locals in any way unless they were carried by a local. For instance, if WTIC carried AntennaTv on the main channel, then it would be considered a local, but it's on the subchannel of WTIC so it isn't.

I wasn't aware that cable companies considered them as locals in any way unless they were carried by a local. For instance, if WTIC carried AntennaTv on the main channel, then it would be considered a local, but it's on the subchannel of WTIC so it isn't.

I believe they are required in the carriage agreements. Cox is taking the wfsb feed of laff and escape. Just as they are grabbing the wvit feed of Cozi

Dish also carries gettv..so it's certainly possible

Possible, sure, but like any channel, it uses bandwidth. I think it's more likely they would be carried as CONUS channels.

Maybe after the auction, when there are fewer locals, the diginets will lose local homes. Then, I would think it would be more possible for "abandoned" diginets to get national coverage, or am I totally off base here....

UVerseTV has METV and it weird because it looks like they have it like a national channel because its channel number is 136. I forgot how they got it not as a sub channel. I wonder if they will let that contract expire or renew it for both DTV and UVerseTV?

What's said above has been mostly correct. I think the Uverse deal is, if there is a local metv affiliate, the national one is blocked or unlocked, something like that.

The way I see it: I think this is up to the channels themselves whether or not they want to be on a national carrier. This depends on both the contracts they have with the affiliates and program distributors.

If a channel owns their programming and divvy out payments to affiliates from ads, it's possible to be on a national carrier (i.e. Gettv on dish: owned by mgm, all ads are national, no local inserts). If a channel like antenna tv wanted to go on directv or dish they would have to renegotiate every contract with their affiliates so they only air national ads because now many affiliates insert their own. The whole structure of affiliate/channel would have to change. Some affiliates agree to carry the channel in exchange for local ad space.

In addition, I imagine the licensing for programming on antenna tv is probably for only local broadcast use (and therefore local cable carriage). For instance a cable/satellite channel buying the rights to air the Simpsons is a very different agreement than your local channel airing the Simpsons (fxx had to pay millions, local is probably bartered).

dish/directv could probably add the channels if they wanted to per market but that would take up a lot of bandwidth.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts