New, no local HD reception, now what?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tmartin000

Original poster
Oct 11, 2005
Hey guys,

I've been reading for a couple of days....Finally I have a question. I think the move to direcTV or Dish needs to happen. But, how do I get the local HD channels if I can't rcv them due to being behind a mountain? I have confimed this on the org link I saw.
1. Can either SAT company provide the local HD channels?
2. Which SAT company gives the best deals for a newbie?

Tom :)

Hey,

I was at a similar situation. I live in the mountains and can't get any OTA. At first I went with ExpressVu from canada (check http://www.satelliteguys.us/forumdisplay.php?f=72 ). they have all four major US network in HD (ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC) with both east and west feeds plus WGN (Chicago WB). No UPN though, but you can watch UPN shows on some of the Canadian networks (CTV, cityTV, etc). Evu also now has a dual HD DVR tuner available (around $500 dolars or so shipped). You can see a complete list of their channels at www.expressvu.com . Because I also wanted to have HBO, showtime and the other HD channels only avaialable in the US I decided to go with Directtv. at the time I was able to get the HD DVR for only $200.00. due to my location I also qualified to get all four HD feeds from LA (ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC). You can check on Directtv website to see if you qualify for the distant HD network by entering your address at:
http://directvdnseligibility.decisionmark.com/app/AddressEntry.asp

If you do qualify for HD distant network I'd say Directtv is the best deal. with dish you only get CBS HD (if you qualify). ON the other hand you get the voom channels (although they only show the same stuff over and over and over...). For me, I really only watch the US networks and HBO and showtime. Finally, Directtv is supposed to be upgrading to MPG4 and having local HD channels for all stations (not only the four major). when will that happen is still a mistery...

Hope this helps.

good luck.

tmartin000 said:
Hey guys,

I've been reading for a couple of days....Finally I have a question. I think the move to direcTV or Dish needs to happen. But, how do I get the local HD channels if I can't rcv them due to being behind a mountain? I have confimed this on the org link I saw.
1. Can either SAT company provide the local HD channels?
2. Which SAT company gives the best deals for a newbie?

Tom :)

Hi there, well as far as i know neither dish or direct will be offering your locals in HD for a long time. I don't believe thats on their priority list since they already pipe threw the locals in SD.. I think there is enough people out there like myself that are pulling their hd local feeds from an antenna like me...

SpringsGuy,
Dish and Direct have both announed they WILL be offering some local HD as early as late this year or early next. A new format (and new receivers) will be required to get the new channels and there are reports that current HD receivers will be replaced at little or no cost when locals are available in your area. They will be in the some of the largest cities first.

I can't answer for Dish Network as I am an exclusive DIRECTV dealer, but I can assure you that DIRECTV is adding all 4 networks in HD in every home. In fact, by the end of this year, 2005 we will have your local ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX in HD in the top 24 Designated Market Areas, (DMAs) to cover more than 65% of all homes in America.

If you are not in one of the top 24 DMA’s and are in an area that can not get a HD OTA signal are eligible for "Distant locals" through a waiver. The distant waiver enables DIRECTV to give you NY and or LA networks in HD anywhere in the USA. To get a waiver you just request it upon activation of your DIRECTV service as their database will immediately permit them to turn on your distant local HD networks. If you do not qualify for the automatic distant locals you can still ask the DIRECTV CSR to request them and within 30 days you will be notified which networks approved and denied your request. Any station that declines your request can be approached by writing a letter to the chief engineer of the local station stating that you can not reasonably get their signal in your home and requesting them to help you get their cannel or approve your distant waiver request.

-Robert

Top 12 not 24

Robert,
You're right, but I want to clarify the fol. Just (6:40PM) got off the phone with the DNS dept @ DTV. I'm in the PACNW (Seattle) DMA and he clearly stated that it would be the top 12 not 24 to receive the inital wave. He did state that Detroit will stand up on the 16th, but iterated that the process is this. Once HD locals are avail in an area, customer calls in for upgrade, every one that calls will be scheduled an install date no earlier than 3 weeks from call in, so the Detroit customers want see installs until Nov 6 at the earliest, he stated. Customers needing new equip, us all I assume, will get the upgrade at no cost, I have the H10, he stated I'd get the new dish and the H20. When the remaining markets get the HD, best answer was they'll continue roll out post the top 12 starting end of 2005 and on, probably more like 2006 and on for the rest of us I'd say. I asked also about what other HD channels are coming and when, he stated over 150 new HD coming, to be completed 2007.

I just called a CSR. I can get 2 of the 4 distants. The other two have a grade B signal and will have to have a waiver for those Distant HD feeds. So I have to wait a few days :(

edit: I'm in bloomington, IN, btw.

HD Locals and new equipment

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
I can't answer for Dish Network as I am an exclusive DIRECTV dealer, but I can assure you that DIRECTV is adding all 4 networks in HD in every home. In fact, by the end of this year, 2005 we will have your local ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX in HD in the top 24 Designated Market Areas, (DMAs) to cover more than 65% of all homes in America.

If you are not in one of the top 24 DMA’s and are in an area that can not get a HD OTA signal are eligible for "Distant locals" through a waiver. The distant waiver enables DIRECTV to give you NY and or LA networks in HD anywhere in the USA. To get a waiver you just request it upon activation of your DIRECTV service as their database will immediately permit them to turn on your distant local HD networks. If you do not qualify for the automatic distant locals you can still ask the DIRECTV CSR to request them and within 30 days you will be notified which networks approved and denied your request. Any station that declines your request can be approached by writing a letter to the chief engineer of the local station stating that you can not reasonably get their signal in your home and requesting them to help you get their cannel or approve your distant waiver request.

-Robert

Do you know if D* will notify us by mail or will we find out on this forum and have to call for the new equipment? I'm in the Phila market.
paulyme

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
Any station that declines your request can be approached by writing a letter to the chief engineer of the local station stating that you can not reasonably get their signal in your home and requesting them to help you get their cannel or approve your distant waiver request.

-Robert

You can write a letter, but few stations will grant HD waivers. They are not required to do so. In most cases, the stations are waiting for D* to get LiL in their market.

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
The distant waiver enables DIRECTV to give you NY and or LA networks in HD anywhere in the USA. To get a waiver you just request it upon activation of your DIRECTV service as their database will immediately permit them to turn on your distant local HD networks. If you do not qualify for the automatic distant locals you can still ask the DIRECTV CSR to request them and within 30 days you will be notified which networks approved and denied your request. Any station that declines your request can be approached by writing a letter to the chief engineer of the local station stating that you can not reasonably get their signal in your home and requesting them to help you get their cannel or approve your distant waiver request.

-Robert

Robert, I want to make you aware that the blanket waiver is not available apparently for all stations. My DMA is Cleveland and I live right outside the city so no other DMA can claim me. WJW is owned and operated by FOX. When I called DirecTV, they did not turn on WNYW-HD as I expected them to, but sent out a waiver which was promptly denied. The station engineer said they had to follow the same rules as analog signals. I've called back DirecTV four or five times since then and got the same response of sending out a waiver request instead of automatically turning on WNYW-HD.

Status
Please reply by conversation.