new old customer

Here's one, would my wife be Considered a new customer if she is the currently on my account?

It used to be a rampant problem for dish. They've changed, it can be done but not without jumping thru hoops.

Your trouble would come in when you the address and billing history, living history is taken into account. Both Dish and DTV are cutting back on people trying to use the system that way, and DTV is heading that one. They will pass up a customer if it is even close that someone is trying to play them. Going elsewhere, you're gonna end up getting the same result, not being a new customer, and the competition is already more expensive in an everyday rate. So, out of spite, you would be doing a disadvantage after the first year.

I have no sympathy to someone being upset that your spouse living in the same household should somehow qualify as a new customer in that same household.

If you are not under contract, I do see some logic to that customer signing a new two year contract and getting the deal. But that overlooks that the point is to lure away a customer from someone else or get a someone who has never had DISH. Why 60 days qualifies someone as a guess, by that time if the person has not signed with someone else they feel they have in reality taken them from signing with another provider not just kept them.
In addition do you think DISH can stay in business giving every customer they have a new customer deal, because that's what is actually being suggested by insisting everyone get the new customer discount when their contract runs out.
I'm not a huge fan of the new customer discounts unless providers are getting cut rates from programmers to sign them because otherwise more of what is spent there should go to keeping good customers. That said, I have received many benefits from being a long time customer and I do pay less than I would with other providers.

Last edited:
Actually, in reality, if I was honest with myself. All I really want is the free netflix. I can stand to pay the equipment fees as I have been for some time now and beyond that, I do not believe the programming is being discounted beyond the price lock. So yeah, give me hopper and give me netflix and I would be fine.

The Netflix part is easy, not actually Netflix but I constantly get discounts that would more than pay for Netflix. It does appear currently to get the Hopper a new contract is required. It may be getting near time where people can get the Hopper without a contract when a new version is coming out. The newest/most advanced is always going to require more than a simple swap of receivers.

It makes no sense why you won't offer it to a non contract existing customer to lock them in for 2 years vs risking losing them. Like the cell phone 2 year plan.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
I Suggested this very thing before. Offer the best new customer deals to subs who are out of contract in order to keep them in contract like cell phone companies do. Makes more sense then having subs churn every two years or having to offer existing subs large quantities of money off and freebies to keep them as subs via the loyalty department. This way more people would stay with DISH and they could know up front how much it will cost them to retain their existing subs, could also be a way to upgrade all the older receivers out there that DISH wouldn't have to support any longer. Seems to me the best way all around to keep your sub base constant , your receivers all cutting edge and the company would know how much it would cost them to keep subs around longer than two years. All it would take is changing the promotion structure and build it in to their offers.

Two year Cell contracts are being phased out.
At&T gives discounts if you do not get the new equipment from them unless you pay the total cost of the phone. If you do get the equipment from them discounted, there is a higher fee per smartphone on the account, and you have to pay off that phone at the length of time selected, but no contract other than paying off the phone, not for the service. It's the next plan.

Apple no longer has a two year contract for the Iphone.
http://www.macrumors.com/2015/06/05/apple-store-iphone-att-next-only/

And Verizon
http://money.cnn.com/2015/08/10/technology/new-verizon-plans/

I think DISH (Providers) would lose more customers and have more customers cut the cord. People generally look to avoid contracts, particularly in a bad economy. I don't want " no stinkin" contract to get discounts, I get them now without it. I don't want new contracts when I replace my receiver with another one without upgrading. And when you upgrade to the newest equipment you do generally have to sign a contract, not the reason but one reason I have not done so.

As I said I do think there could be a little less given as incentives to get new customers and a little more incentive to keep them. My opinion would be that DISH missed with insisting on new contracts for the Hopper. Because it carries higher fees it seems to me they could have had more people paying higher fees and happy with the new equipment. Still gives the choice given now not to pay more for the newest equipment. From the posts by installers here VIP receivers may still be installed more often and they certainly make up the highest percentage by alot of all subscribers. Needing a new contract along with higher fees probably plays a big role in that.

Last edited:
The Next plan you might as well say it's a contract, unless you can out right afford to buy out your phones.

I have 4 Next Plan upgrades going on right now.
Galaxy S5 $25 per month $649 Total
Galaxy S4 $19 / $500
2 Galaxy S4 Minis $32 /$798
That adds $76 to my bill every month.
For the Next 26 months
Now add the addtional $15 per line fee.

Is it much of a savings?
Not really over the 24 month commitment.

And with Att, you still own your phone once you fulfilled your commitment.
I have a bunch of old Galaxys gathering dust From comments.
At least with the commitments you can get upgrades after 12 months, and not be forced into either paying your phone off, or paying hundreds in upgrade fees.

Last edited:
Worst case I keep my 722 and other boxes, drop my bill by 20$ changing plans, then get my own Netflix

The Next plan you might as well say it's a contract, unless you can out right afford to buy out your phones.

I have 4 Next Plan upgrades going on right now.
Galaxy S5 $25 per month $649 Total
Galaxy S4 $19 / $500
2 Galaxy S4 Minis $32 /$798
That adds $76 to my bill every month.
For the Next 26 months
Now add the addtional $15 per line fee.

Is it much of a savings?
Not really over the 24 month commitment.

And with Att, you still own your phone once you fulfilled your commitment.
I have a bunch of old Galaxys gathering dust From comments.
At least with the commitments you can get upgrades after 12 months, and not be forced into either paying your phone off, or paying hundreds in upgrade fees.
Biggest difference, if you own a device, your plan price drops. I own my phones save some 25 per on line access fees, not including the extra rental/edge/next cost. For att I think it's 15, Verizon is a little more. Don't quote exact numbers but their close, the key is added savings to own your device, be it old or new.

With dish or others, this option does not exist. If I use my ps3 as a joey it should be free or at least discounted compared to a provided box. Further, there is no option to ever own the equipment from dish. I pay 7$ on a 211(or whatever the basic HD box is) over and over and over. You can't tell me the box is 336$(4 year rental) and if it is, at some point I should be able to own it and have it for free, lowering the bill of a loyal customer. But instead I can pay monthly for 100 years and won't ever catch a break. Not to mention I pay the 8$ monthly protection plan, just to avoid paying some 100$+ in the event my "rental" equipment gives out. From experience, time Warner will replace boxes over and over for free... There's just never a break with dish for those loyal.

I love my dish, I just wish there was a way to save a little after all this time. They are not doing me any favors, especially if I need to always pay, pay, pay

Biggest difference, if you own a device, your plan price drops. I own my phones save some 25 per on line access fees, not including the extra rental/edge/next cost. For att I think it's 15, Verizon is a little more. Don't quote exact numbers but their close, the key is added savings to own your device, be it old or new.

With dish or others, this option does not exist. If I use my ps3 as a joey it should be free or at least discounted compared to a provided box. Further, there is no option to ever own the equipment from dish. I pay 7$ on a 211(or whatever the basic HD box is) over and over and over. You can't tell me the box is 336$(4 year rental) and if it is, at some point I should be able to own it and have it for free, lowering the bill of a loyal customer. But instead I can pay monthly for 100 years and won't ever catch a break. Not to mention I pay the 8$ monthly protection plan, just to avoid paying some 100$+ in the event my "rental" equipment gives out. From experience, time Warner will replace boxes over and over for free... There's just never a break with dish for those loyal.

I love my dish, I just wish there was a way to save a little after all this time. They are not doing me any favors, especially if I need to always pay, pay, pay
Sure your price drops once you pay your phone off, You aren't paying on your phone anymore.
Your package price structure is still the same.

If I had contract phones.
I would be paying
$75 for my base pack, on line one
$120 for 3 phones with a 2 year commitment at $40 each.
That's $195 per month for 2 years,plus tax. and I'm eligible for a free upgrade every 12 months.
And if I don't upgrade , I still own my phone.

Next plan with 4 phones
$75 for my base pack.
Plus $75 for my Next payments
And $45 for 3 addtional phones.
$195 plus taxes .
Only way to upgrade is pay a device off to upgrade.
Or pay a Trade in price.

That's fine in all, But after 2 years most times your phones are Beat.

ZERO savings at my house.
Difference is between the 2 is if you break your commitment you have to pay an ETF and walk away with Nothing/ Pay ETF and buy phone .
Fulfill commitment you own the phone.
That's your options.

With Next plan, you have an option to Buy your phone and leave early without penalty.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)