New On demand software (L630) on 622 Rec = instant crash

TNGTony

Unashamed Bengal Fan
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Looks like the new awaited software for the on demand services on Dish is starting to make it down to the 622. I just noticed a new interface window as the first DVR screen. The new screen is boxy looking and much less polished looking than the one it replaced. At the bottom now it has "Now Available" programs which, of course push more PPV movies I will never watch (EVER!!!). So it makes the rest of the screen appear smaller though it really isn't.

But the real nasty part of this new software is that I locks up and crashes my 622 EVERY time I have tried to use it to look for movies. If I go to "Dish Cinema"> Explore Movies > it will crash if I hit the "search results" button no matter what options I select.

The other thing is that it now only shows 80 TV shows available when there were hundreds available before...though they were grouped idiotically before.

Another short-fall. If you "browse by network" for TV shows, you have zero networks to choose from. If you "explore TV shows" the programs list their networks.

IOW... I WANT MY OLD SOFTWARE BACK! This software sucks big giant donkey ......

Hopefully this is not what we have been waiting for.

One more new feature I just saw with this new software... during a commercial for "Fatal Attractions" on Animal Planet a prompt came up on the screen saying "Fatal Attractions--record this now" with the select icon on the screen. When you press select, you are taken directly to the DVR menu as if you had gone to the guide and selected that program to record. Very nice.

Mine took the download last night... I to like the older interface better & it changed my favorites colors around which is annoying...

NO KIDDING!!! Completely unnecessary - I mean, what is the point of changing the stupid colors???? Good grief, who the %$^% approved this?

Never EVER had a problem with my 722. My 612 rebooted all the time so after 3 boxes I quit connecting my OTA and all works.
BUT my 722 took the 630 update 2 days ago and it's already gone into random reboots twice!. Last night I lost 8 minutes of a recording because of this.

I swear Dish is doing everything in their power to push me over the edge. And to top it all off I'll not be able to watch the Blues game.

Just sent an angry email off to Dish Tech Support demanding the new software be uninstalled. Tech Chat was offline, probably overloaded with complaints.

Loss of FX, NatGeo and local sports might not make me switch providers. Turning my 722 DVR into a brick will.

Never EVER had a problem with my 722. My 612 rebooted all the time so after 3 boxes I quit connecting my OTA and all works.
BUT my 722 took the 630 update 2 days ago and it's already gone into random reboots twice!. Last night I lost 8 minutes of a recording because of this.

I swear Dish is doing everything in their power to push me over the edge. And to top it all off I'll not be able to watch the Blues game.
Aren't the 722s getting L670??

I confirm the issue. Can lock the box up at will, eventually it reboots itself.

Yesterday morning I notice that navigating the program guide and channels was very slow. Later that day early evening the 622 locked up completely. I had to unplug the receiver wait and plug it back in. Everything works now and the slow navigation went away. Yes they did change colors, but it did not really matter to me. Just noticed the difference. I do not plan on hooking up to broadband since I used Netflix.

I confirm the issue. Can lock the box up at will, eventually it reboots itself.

You guys are lucky that's all L630 is doing to your 622s - it fried my hard drive, and I had to replace the DVR. The new one downloaded L629 when I activated it, BTW.

Brad

Your not the only one.

I have a 722 HD DVR and since the new software my receiver constantly freezes up and I have to reset.Tried to go into On Demand last night and had to end up resetting.Very bad software.Anyone know who we can contact about this problem?

I have a 722 HD DVR and since the new software my receiver constantly freezes up and I have to reset.Tried to go into On Demand last night and had to end up resetting.Very bad software.Anyone know who we can contact about this problem?
Call Dish Network tech support. They claimed they were unaware of anyone having these issues when I called last night.

You guys are lucky that's all L630 is doing to your 622s - it fried my hard drive, and I had to replace the DVR. The new one downloaded L629 when I activated it, BTW.

Brad

That isn't unusual. I don't recall which update, but there was an update that came out and killed a 622 that I had. It appears that what can happen is the HD in your receiver can be failing and develop some bad sectors. When they push down an update, some areas of your drive that are not normally touched might now get touched. Thus causing a behavior that didn't exist before. Bricking some machines depending on the errors on the drive and what information was written there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)