Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jim S.

When someone asks you if you're a god, you say yes
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
FN11od
On the "#1 openbox site" (google it), there is now firmware that's supposed to support uploading and downloading configuration files and firmware updates via ethernet. I haven't heard anything about allowing access to recordings though, which is something I'd love to have. I haven't tested it, and I don't know if I'm going to test it because recent firmware versions have made the blind scan moderately to much slower in order to find narrower transponders, but I'd rather have the very-fast blind scan than the very-narrow transponders.

If they ever make it so I can remote access the hard drive video files from my WD media player box (or any computer), then sign me up! :)
Doing firmware over LAN is a start... but there are so many other ways to update, I don't see it as much of a feature.

Actually, FW update over LAN was designed in from the get go, just not implemented in FW. As to content streaming over LAN, I truly doubt, Ali proc is capable of handling this along with processing coming signal. In fact, I don't think, the FW supports network content sharing at all, even file copy. With FW update it just loads new FW to RAM and writes it to ROM. But again, if it can mount a LAN drive file system , it should also be able to mount its own storage drive for remote access. HD streaming would also require a solid bandwidth from its USB chipset.

Last edited:
Apparently hackers are using the Ethernet port for paid IKS as well

That's always going to happen, and nothing you,me, Charlie Ergren, the Pope, or the SEALS can do about it. All we can do is hope some of the improvements make it better for us to use.

In fact, I don't think its even possible in NA, if talking about DN, since they're protected by 8psk Turbo modulation, which the Ali chipset does NOT support. Since smaller content providers are seldom targeted for hacking in NA, I'd say, Openbox S9/10 are hardly hacker attracting boxes, when used in North America. That's why we discuss them here so often. :)

When I saw the interior pictures of the S10, that removable tuner board immediately caught my attention.
I think that's all that need be swapped out for.. .what we don't discuss.

Does anyone know the actual manufacturer website for firmware? I downloaded from Yojia and now my menus are all blocked out. Has a cool new centered menu though.

Does anybody know if that super small signal bar has been expanded, or the signal beeper is working? or at the least the zoom feature?

If you need a bigger signal bar, you can press INFO a few times. The beeper has never worked as far as I know.

As for the zoom feature, I have some bad news for you. The zoom feature used to work, but it was retired in favor of the ZOOM button bringing up a satellite list. In fact, new remotes have a sat list button, not a ZOOM button.

Does anyone know the actual manufacturer website for firmware? I downloaded from Yojia and now my menus are all blocked out. Has a cool new centered menu though.

What exactly do you mean by new centered menu? Do you mean the main menu icons are on the top of the screen instead of the left side? That's what the S10 looks like. I wonder if they tried to port that to the S9 and screwed up.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts