New Orleans in Peril?

CharlesO

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 12, 2003
Agua Fria, Arizona
It still at least 5 days away, but Tropical Storm Gustav current path would hit New Orleans. Lots of things can change in 5 days but it does raise an interesting question in the world of sports.

Can New Orleans Sports Teams survive another "Katrina" especially since it's been only 3 years since that disaster?

With the economy struggling the NBA and NFL may not be so willing to keep it's teams committed to New Orleans this time.

If forced again to relocate, where would they go?

Oklahoma City is no longer an option for the NBA, while Seattle would be an easy answer it's 2000 miles from New Orleans and would actually cost the city of Seattle millions to have the Hornets play there.

San Antonio may not be as willing to have the Saints play there since the NFL jerked them around last time, ditto Baton Rouge because of LSU.
Without a promise of a new facility in Los Angeles the league would have to accept playing in a Non-Super Bowl capable facility if the Saints went there.

What about the Sugar Bowl and other collegiate sports in New Orleans?

Fire away.

omgxk2.gif

New Orleans has a helluva lot more to worry about than sports teams if another Katrina-Type storm hits....but to answer your question, the sports teams are gone if something else happens in the city. It is just starting to get back on its feet somewhat, and another blow now would kill the city. :(

New Orleans has a helluva lot more to worry about than sports teams if another Katrina-Type storm hits....but to answer your question, the sports teams are gone if something else happens in the city. It is just starting to get back on its feet somewhat, and another blow now would kill the city. :(

I was born and raised in the New Orleans area. New Orleans will survive, but until the people get smart and elect proper leaders in that city, it will always be hanging by a thread.

New Orleans was a marginal major league town before any of the bad weather.

Obviously, the NFL can work anywhere. Due to its revenue sharing system, it can even have a team in Green Bay, Wisconsin. It would be horriable PR for the NFL to leave NO, and it simply will not.

The NBA bounces from town to town with its snake oil show. Charlotte, New Orleans, OK City, Seattle, whatever. The team was only going to be there for a few years anyway, before moving on.

The real issue is Tulane. Tulane was only a few moves from dropping football and getting kicked out of CUSA before the bad weather. Its current marketing plan seems to be to get 5K diehard fans, some students, and then sell fans of the visiting team on a trip to NO as a kind of in-season bowl trip.

I look for Tulane to be in Div III within 10 years.

Unfortunately, it's not just New Orleans. Louisiana of course has had a long line of smarmy officials ...

All politicians are "smarmy" one way or another if you ask me. The problem in Louisiana is that in the past they've considered it an asset. I think they have a governor now who is different (at least I hope). But this is a sports thread, so to get back on topic...

The Saints will survive and it won't be a hurricane that runs them out of NO. Tulane is questionable as far as it's football team is concerned, but always has been.

Saints may be forced to practice in Indianapolis as Gustav nears

Saints to practice in Indianapolis for first game if forced to evacuate.

Although a direct hit on New Orleans would be huge media windfall (seems like they can't wait), there is a chance it won't hit Louisiana at all:

HURRICANE GUSTAV DISCUSSION NUMBER 20
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL072008
500 PM EDT FRI AUG 29 2008

GUSTAV HAS TURNED MORE TO THE RIGHT AND SPED UP A LITTLE...NOW
MOVING AT ABOUT 305/10...AS IT HEADS FOR A BREAK IN THE SUBTROPICAL
RIDGE OVER THE EASTERN GULF OF MEXICO. THE PORTION OF THAT RIDGE
THAT IS INTACT OVER THE SOUTHERN PLAINS OF THE UNITED STATES IS
FORECAST BY ALL MODELS TO EVOLVE INTO A DEEP-LAYER HIGH THAT WILL
REACH THE NORTHEASTERN U.S. IN A FEW DAYS. THERE ARE IMPORTANT
DIFFERENCES AMONG THE MODELS...HOWEVER...IN HOW MUCH RIDGING WILL
EXTEND SOUTHWESTWARD FROM THAT HIGH TOWARD TEXAS...AND IN HOW STRONG
THE UPPER-LEVEL TROUGH CURRENTLY OVER THE CENTRAL GULF WILL BE OVER
THE WESTERN GULF IN A FEW DAYS. THESE VARYING SOLUTIONS LEAD TO
DIFFERENT TRACKS FOR GUSTAV OVER THE NORTHERN GULF. MODELS WITH
THE RIDGE EXTENSION AND A STRONGER UPPER-LEVEL TROUGH WEST OF
GUSTAV...SUCH AS THE NOGAPS AND UKMET...FORECAST GUSTAV TO TURN
WESTWARD TOWARD TEXAS. OTHERS INCLUDING THE GFS...GFDL...AND
HWRF...DO NOT SHOW THE RIDGE EXTENSION NOR A STRONG UPPER-LEVEL
TROUGH...AND FORECAST GUSTAV TO BE PULLED INTO THE NORTHERN GULF
COAST FARTHER EAST. THE NEW OFFICIAL FORECAST LEANS TOWARD THE
LATTER SOLUTIONS AND IS EAST OF THE CONSENSUS...AND REPRESENTS NO
SIGNIFICANT CHANGE TO THE PREVIOUS ADVISORY. DUE TO THE NOTABLE
MODEL SPREAD LATE IN THE FORECAST PERIOD...IT IS ONCE AGAIN
IMPORTANT TO RESTATE THAT IT IS SIMPLY NOT YET POSSIBLE TO
DETERMINE EXACTLY WHERE AND WHEN GUSTAV WILL MAKE FINAL LANDFALL.

I sure hope it doesn't come here to the Beaumont/Pt.Arthur, Tx area either. WE have had 2 hurricanes and a tropical storm in the last three years. I really can't afford a cat 3 storm , my little mobile home , that is paid for, couldn't survive the winds in a cat 3 storm. Rita tore up my fence, shed, and most of my roof and siding on the back side of my house. I really got screwed by Allstate the "good hands" people. They only gave me the minimum and didn't cover my fence or shed . IF it wasn't for the fema money & the red cross money ,I would of been out a lot more than the 2000 I ended up having to borrow off of my credit card.

Hurricane Rita -2005 - came in cat 3, quickly dropped to cat 2 or 1.
Hurricane Humberto -2007-cat 1
Tropical storm Edwardo -2008 a month ago -mostly winds and rain.

cat 1 - 74-95 mph = damage primarily to unanchored mobile home.
cat 2 - 96-110 mph = considerable damage to mobile homes
cat 3 - 111-130 mph = mobile homes destroyed.
cat 4 - 131-155 mph = what mobile home?
cat 5 - 155 mph + = Are you kidding?

I sure hope it doesn't come here to the Beaumont/Pt.Arthur, Tx area either. WE have had 2 hurricanes and a tropical storm in the last three years. I really can't afford a cat 3 storm , my little mobile home , that is paid for, couldn't survive the winds in a cat 3 storm. Rita tore up my fence, shed, and most of my roof and siding on the back side of my house. I really got screwed by Allstate the "good hands" people. They only gave me the minimum and didn't cover my fence or shed . IF it wasn't for the fema money & the red cross money ,I would of been out a lot more than the 2000 I ended up having to borrow off of my credit card.

Hurricane Rita -2005 - came in cat 3, quickly dropped to cat 2 or 1.
Hurricane Humberto -2007-cat 1
Tropical storm Edwardo -2008 a month ago -mostly winds and rain.

cat 1 - 74-95 mph = damage primarily to unanchored mobile home.
cat 2 - 96-110 mph = considerable damage to mobile homes
cat 3 - 111-130 mph = mobile homes destroyed.
cat 4 - 131-155 mph = what mobile home?
cat 5 - 155 mph + = Are you kidding?

Rita caused as much damage as Katrina. My brother is in Hempstead, and although he didn't get the brunt of it, his home suffered extensive damage from falling trees. I hope Gustav isn't as bad as that.

Just read on an ESPN scroll that the Saints plan to return to New Orleans on Friday for their home opener. Hope they have a home to return to. Gustav is now in the Gulf as a cat 4 and NO is in the middle of the projection cone. Hannah is right behind it heading towards south Florida. Not looking good.

Just read on an ESPN scroll that the Saints plan to return to New Orleans on Friday for their home opener. Hope they have a home to return to. Gustav is now in the Gulf as a cat 4 and NO is in the middle of the projection cone. Hannah is right behind it heading towards south Florida. Not looking good.

Projetions I saw a few minutes ago showed it going farther west, although the area being affected is still huge.

Channel 363 on D* is running evacuation routes on it.

If your down that way, get out of the way and stay safe :eureka

Jimbo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts