Overshadowed Games/Moments in Sports

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
This is something I mentioned on DBSForums a year ago.

Last year, I posted that Clay Bucholz's no-hitter was a case of bad-timing, for it coincided with the same day when Appalachian State shocked the world.

Can you recall any instances of something in sports that was big, but was overshadowed by something else?

Here's an example:

On October 15th 1988, Oklahoma State and Nebraska had a wild game- A 63-42 huskers win, with Barry Sanders rushing for 189 yards. Unfortunately, this was on the same day as Notre Dame's epic win over Miami in South Bend.

One instance in New England sports stands out in my mind:

Sunday, October 5, 2003

In Foxboro the Patriots are playing the Tennessee Titans.
At Fenway the Red Sox are playing game 4 of their ALDS against the Oakland A's.

The Red Sox won on their last at bat to even their series with Oakland 2-2. (The Sox won the series the next night in Oakland).

Simultaneous to the Red Sox game ending, Steve McNair scored a TD for the Titans tying the game vs. the Patriots. As McNair was crossing the goal line a roar went up in Gillette Stadium (because the fans were following the happenings at Fenway). The stunned look on the players faces (including the Titans) was priceless. This was NOT appreciated by Pats players (I remember Tedy Bruschi, among others, speak up about it after the game). The Patriots 38-30 win over the Titans was the start of their record-breaking 21 straight wins (including postseason). The Pats didn't lose another game until Halloween Day 2004 in Pittsburgh (they were again overshadowed that weekend by the Red Sox World Series parade the day before).

And one in which justice was served....

On May 1, 1991, hot dog Rickey Henderson's all-time record for stolen bases was overshadowed by Nolan Ryan's seventh no-hitter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)