New OTA Antenna, no HD receiver yet - what should I see on HD channels?

kelton325

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
Circleville, OH
I am getting a Dish Network 622 on 3/11, but have been doing some prep work before the install. I put this antenna in my attic and hooked it up to my TV. The coax run to my TV is 100 feet.

Two questions:

1. Even though my TV isn't ready for HD until I get my 622, I flipped to some of the OTA HD channels in my area (the ones in the UHF spectrum). I was surprised to get nothing but static. Is that normal if you don't have an HD ready TV?

2. I can get the SD channels in OK, but it's only "OK". The picture has some grainyness - should I be concerned about the HD channels coming in once I get the 622?

I'm considering a Channel Master 7777 pre-amp, but I'm not sure yet...

Thanks for any help.

1) You need a digital receiver in order to tune those channels. You don't have one, hence the static.

2) Not sure how or why you're comparing OTA analog channels and how your future HD/digital channels will look.

For your "prep work", you've gone too far. :D You've installed the antenna (Dish would have supplied you one for free, wouldn't they ??) and ran the cabling to your TV. Stop there.

Just to be clear, do you have an HDTV yet ?? I know you're waiting for the 622 and don't have it yet.

hall said:
1) You need a digital receiver in order to tune those channels. You don't have one, hence the static.

That helps - I guess I was expecting to see the picture, just in regular rez

hall said:
2) Not sure how or why you're comparing OTA analog channels and how your future HD/digital channels will look.

I was wondering if a snowy analog signal = less than optimal HD signal.

hall said:
For your "prep work", you've gone too far. :D You've installed the antenna (Dish would have supplied you one for free, wouldn't they ??)

The antenna Dish offers costs $99 (based on what I've read), and I live in the middle of a large woods, so I wanted a more robust antenna than the one they mount on the dish.

hall said:
and ran the cabling to your TV. Stop there.

The cable run involved some fairly extensive wall fishing, which based on what I've read here, would cost extra. I also learned the hard way when I got my Satellite Internet hooked up - I settled for a non-optimal location for entry to the house because I was so pumped to get it working. Won't happen again :)

hall said:
Just to be clear, do you have an HDTV yet ?? I know you're waiting for the 622 and don't have it yet.

I have a Mitsubishi WS-48413, which is HD compatible, but doesn't have a built in HD tuner.

Thank you very much for your response!

You did very good, just to be clear. You just got a little overanxious, I think. :D At this point, without a digital receiver, you really can't go much farther.

If you live in the woods your reception might not be so great. You may want to think about going higher. I would wait and see what happens when you get everything up and running. The CM 7777 is a good choice but again I would wait and see what happens.

Your antenna may be the weaker link here. WSYX-DT is the only VHF channel and it is CH13, so a Channel Master 4228 would be better for your attic installation.

If you want to get UPN you'll need a rotator since most are north of you and UPN is west.

Good news is that all stations appear to be staying with their current channel frequency after the 2009 analog cutoff.

As long as you get a reasonably good picture from the analog stations you should have no trouble with the digital channels. At 24 miles you may not need an amplifier, in fact it may do more harm than good. I use a Radio Shack VHF/UHF combo antenna rated at 75 miles (HA HA) on a 5' mast on top of my house. At 55 miles out from Mt. Wilson transmitters (Los Angeles area) and no amplifier, I get all the signal I need for all but one of the 21 local digital channels. Some of the analog channels are a little iffy, but with digital you either have a perfect picture or no picture at all. I don't think mountains are a problem where you are, but if you have very tall trees or a nearby water tower that may give you a bit of a multipath problem. As long as there is minimal ghosting on the analog channels you should be good to go when your new 622 arrives.
Once you get it set up all of this stuff will make perfect sense.

Enjoy!

Jim5506 said:
Good news is that all stations appear to be staying with their current channel frequency after the 2009 analog cutoff.

Where do you find that info? I'm 55 miles SE of Tucson, AZ. Currently all Tucson digital broadcasts are on UHF so I went with the Winegard 9095 directional UHF only antenna. Coupled with a ChannelMaster 7777 pre-amp I get good reception. But I have no idea if the Tucson stations will remain on UHF after the 2009 cutoff.

Thanks in advance :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts