Status
Not open for further replies.

orac

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 25, 2009
The OC
Scott,

Have been noticing this for quite a while now, but haven't bothered to make detailed notes until today. The problem affects the site in two different ways. Here's the first.

So my normal routine is to logon, click the NewPosts dropdown and select New Free To Air posts, read what interests me, click Mark Forums Read, then logoff almost immediately. Since I only logon once or twice a week, the new posts search usually gives me 2 or 3 pages worth of threads. What I've noticed is that the oldest thread with new posts (at the bottom of the last page) is not as old as the last time I was logged on. There are other threads not shown that exist that have new posts after I was last logged on.

So, today, before I logged on, I looked at my profile and it said my last activity was 7/20 at 11:03am. After I logged on and pulled up the new posts, the oldest thread had a most recent post of 7/21 around 10:00am. I manually entered each of the FTA forums and noted there were 2 threads in C-band that the search didn't get, 1 thread in FTA Equip reviews, and 7 threads in microHD that didn't come up but should have.

The second way this error manifests itself is when I open a thread and click on View Unread Posts. This will miss the individual messages in the thread after my last activity but before the same start point as the New Posts results (around 10:00am 7/21 in today's instance). In a nice busy forum like microHD, I'll miss quite a few individual messages unless I scroll up a bit.

Is it a GMT conversion error somewhere? I don't think so since 11:03am on 7/20 is still only 1803Z for me and there were plenty of messages posted early on 7/21 that the search didn't pick up. Is it a 24 hour error somewhere? I don't think so either since the results I got today went back to a point closer than 24 hours after my last activity (7/20-11:03am to 7/21-10:00am). So, unfortunately I can't suggest where you might begin looking for this anomaly. But it would be nice to know I'm really getting all the threads with new posts after I last visited.

Edit: as a matter of interest, I checked my last activity immediately after posting this and it shows my local time of 1:17pm.

Sincerely,
Neil

Bad again today. Last activity was 7/30 @ 3:51pm (not quite 10 days ago). First message that the board thought was new to me in the FTA areas was 8/3 @ 10:45pm (not quite 6 days ago). As a result, the board failed to mark 21 threads in FTA, 1 thread in FTAshack, 11 threads in CBand, 11 threads in microHD, and 1 thread in AZBox as ones that contained new messages. To be sure I had seen everything I wanted, I went through the sub-forums one-by-one to read the threads of interest to me with posts newer than 7/30. Sure would like this fixed.
__
Neil

thats odd. I just clicked on "new FTA posts" and the newest is one from 9 minutes ago
I've got 18 new threads listed since I "read all" posts (which was earlier today)

Same again. Board says my last activity was Aug 9 @ 1:46pm, but the New FTA Posts results and the individual highlighting of new threads thinks my last activity was Aug 19 @ around 6:30pm. Seems the board can't look back more than about 5 or 6 days. Maybe it's limited to number of threads or number of posts? (85 threads came up today, didn't count individual posts).
_
Neil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)