New pro league would help players bypass college, prep for NFL

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

osu1991

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Sep 4, 2004
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...uld-help-players-bypass-college-prep-for-nfl/

According to the esteemed Dan Wetzel of Yahoo! Sports, a handful of individuals, including Mike Shanahan, ESPN NFL reporter Adam Schefter and officiating guru Mike Pereira among others, are among a group in the midst of creating what’s being called Pacific Pro Football. Unlike other pro leagues, however, the PPL wouldn’t look to compete with the NFL; rather, it will look to develop college-aged players in the pro-style aspects of the sport, particularly on offense, and becomes what Wetzel writes is “a place with a preferable set-up for training and identifying potential draft picks.”

Sounds like a good idea, as there's players in the NCAA who have no business being at the University's they are at.

This would allow a similar situation as we have with baseball, where players have a choice of going to the minors or to college.

Sounds like a good idea, as there's players in the NCAA who have no business being at the University's they are at.

This would allow a similar situation as we have with baseball, where players have a choice of going to the minors or to college.
Too much money to be lost by the universities..expect a fail

Sent from my SM-G920V using the SatelliteGuys app!

Too much money to be lost by the universities..expect a fail
So? It's not the schools purpose to have a football team. It's to provide an education.

I see this as no different than the NBA having a D-League, or MLB having Minor Leagues.

If the player has no interest in being in school, then give them another avenue. Otherwise it just cheats them, and those who are in school to actually get an education.

As someone who really likes college sports I have mixed feelings about this. If this turns out to be a viable path to the NFL it would definitely dilute the talent pool in college football. A lot of those players who go to college solely to continue their football career but don't care about school, or aren't smart enough to have a realistic chance to get a useful degree would choose this path instead. Unfortunately a decent chunk of 5 star recruits might fall into that category.

At the same time this might actually be better for both the athletes and the schools. College football has become a huge business for these universities but football really has nothing to do with college. Forcing athletes to go to college when they don't want to be there or are mentally unable to handle it in order to keep playing football isn't right. It also isn't right that these kids' classmates and professors have to deal with them. We might even see a decline in the academic scandals that keep happening if they stop forcing athletes into college.

On top of that, it solves the debate that keeps coming up about whether college athletes should be paid. The schools are making millions off them. People always argue that the scholarships they receive are worth a lot of money and they are. If school isn't why they are there that scholarship isn't worth all that much to the athlete though. Let the kids who want to earn a free education continue to do that and let the ones who want to be paid instead go to this new pro league.

I can't imagine many people would want to watch this league unless they do it in the spring or summer when college and the NFL aren't active though. People don't watch minor league baseball or NBA D-League and they probably aren't going to watch this either.

Reactions: mccoyrj
So? It's not the schools purpose to have a football team. It's to provide an education.

I see this as no different than the NBA having a D-League, or MLB having Minor Leagues.

If the player has no interest in being in school, then give them another avenue. Otherwise it just cheats them, and those who are in school to actually get an education.
Universities are profit machines..non profit..profit machines

I suspect the players involved with have "issues". Either just academics, crime, out of transfers, or just so poor they need the cash.

Still, it is 4 teams with bus travel and players maxed out at $50K. They could charge minor league baseball/hockey level ticket prices and do fine. Automatic media attention everytime they get somebody really good. If they can find any sort of TV deal, it works.

Reactions: madmadworld
isn'I that what the USFL said?
USFL tried to compete with the NFL for players. This league isn't doing that, it's strictly a developmental league for players who aren't old enough for the NFL. There competition is more with the NCAA. The same way the minors, and the NBA's D-League compete with the NCAA.

USFL tried to compete with the NFL for players. This league isn't doing that, it's strictly a developmental league for players who aren't old enough for the NFL. There competition is more with the NCAA. The same way the minors, and the NBA's D-League compete with the NCAA.

true but the specific comment I was referring had to do with schedule. The USFL started out as a spring league and then, at the end, was going to go head to head. Not saying this league will but pointing out that often changes,

true but the specific comment I was referring had to do with schedule. The USFL started out as a spring league and then, at the end, was going to go head to head. Not saying this league will but pointing out that often changes,
I wouldn't be shocked if after a few years it transitions to the fall.

I think their plan is to eventually get support from the NFL and turn into what the NBA's D-League has become. At which time playing in the fall won't be a big deal.

I wouldn't be shocked if after a few years it transitions to the fall.

I think their plan is to eventually get support from the NFL and turn into what the NBA's D-League has become. At which time playing in the fall won't be a big deal.
The only way this would ever work is to have NFL support from day 1..otherwise it will join a long list of failures

And then look what happened to them ... lol

Agreed. It is a death sentence to compete head to head but that has not stopped leagues from doing it anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)