New Problem with 522

itsonthedish

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 18, 2004
I've noticed on some recordings on the 522 that all of a sudden the sound will drop out and there will be this weird color distortion on the screen- almost like a magnet is being placed too close to the TV. I know its not the TV because when I switch to live mode, the problem goes away. Has anyone else experinced this? Wonder what could be causing it. Its most annoying to say the least.

itsonthedish said:
I've noticed on some recordings on the 522 that all of a sudden the sound will drop out and there will be this weird color distortion on the screen- almost like a magnet is being placed too close to the TV. I know its not the TV because when I switch to live mode, the problem goes away. Has anyone else experinced this? Wonder what could be causing it. Its most annoying to say the least.

Congrats! You are one of the un-lucky ones with a touchy 522. I've not had the sound/video problems that you and others share, but my box has decided to randomly reboot now since the 2.03 udate. It chopped Stargate Atlantis into 2 bits last night with only about 4 seconds missing. (Gee I'm having a 921 flashback!)

Hopefully it will be fixed in the NEXT update.

itsonthedish said:

This only happens on mine if I am watching a recorded show, and another starts to record..

Very annoying!

itsonthedish said:
...the sound will drop out and there will be this weird color distortion on the screen- almost like a magnet is being placed too close to the TV...Has anyone else experinced this?

Yeah, this is real common (and has been for quite a while). I've experienced it on three different boxes and posted pictures of it happening, here. I always just described it as "the color fading in and out and leaving a black and white picture," but now that I think about it, you're absolutely right; it looks a lot like what happens when a magnet is placed near a TV. I don't want to be a downer, but don't count on a new box to fix the problem. Like I said, I've seen it on three different 522s. Also, I wouldn't count on it being fixed in a software update. I know this is a common problem, but I've seen very little about it in terms of complaints on the message boards (by the way, good job looking out for bugs! :up ). Since in-house beta testing is nonexistent on the 522, and since there apparently isn't a huge outcry from customers, don't plan on ever seeing a fix for this problem. I mean really, customers have been screaming about other issues for months, and those issues persist. So you just know something "small" like this is going to be ignored.

Mark_AR said:
...my box has decided to randomly reboot now since the 2.03 udate. It chopped Stargate Atlantis into 2 bits last night...

Yeah, mine does that too. I immediately hit the pound key, find a rerun, set a timer and delete the segmented recording. Depending on how long the reboot takes, and whether or not it downloads a guide update, there could be several minutes missing from the recording. :rolleyes:

Mark_AR said:
Congrats! You are one of the un-lucky ones with a touchy 522. I've not had the sound/video problems that you and others share, but my box has decided to randomly reboot now since the 2.03 udate. It chopped Stargate Atlantis into 2 bits last night with only about 4 seconds missing. (Gee I'm having a 921 flashback!)

Hopefully it will be fixed in the NEXT update.

Thats really strange... this was the first recording it did this to... fortuantely it did it right during a commercial for me. I still recorded the midnight show just in case.

I have had the color distortion and audio drop problems a couple of times since getting my 522. However, I have gone about a week or so with fairly extensive tv use and recording without any problems. Is it fixed?...I'm not sure, I'll just have to wait and see. I don't think there has been a software update. It's probably waiting for the worst possible time to strike again!

The only time I've had the audio completely drop was when I was quickly pressing the skip forward button. This happened twice and each time I had to stop the recording and go to live TV to get audio back. One of the times it happened I also got the color distortion. But each time it was while watching a recording and skipping forward.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts