new receiver and 1080p

coffee_bean

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
South Florida
As far as I know, espn soon will star broadcasting in 1080p, what's gonna happen to the new e* receiver since they do not support 1080p? Are we gonna have to buy new receivers when happens or maybe sign a new contract, or a new service call fee...

Even if ESPN does that, it won't affect your or my receiver as 1080p won't replace 1080i, it will just be another resolution choice. I think it will be a very long time before 1080p becomes a standard bearer.:)

David

Where did you hear espn was going to 1080p?
Can you provide a link?

In any case, E* doesn't even want to provide the bandwidth to support 1920x1080i. It's have to imagine them going to 1080p.

I've heard the ESPN 1080p rumor as well, but don't believe it for one second. It's hard enough getting the satellite providers to give full resolution 1080i, why would ESPN bother with the cost? When the amount of HD penetration is still low and the amount of 1080p capable sets is even lower. Maybe in 10 years we'll see 1080p, until then only Blu-ray DVDs.

There are three "1080p" resolutions:

1) 1080 24p....24 fps, for ease of converting movies. Not good for fast motion like sports.
2) 1080 30p....30 fps, better but not very.
...neither of the above 2 are known to be broadcast/provided by anyone. Certainly 720 60p is superior to both of these. It's arguable whether 720 60p or 1080 30i is better.
3) 1080 60p....60fps. The holy grail. What people often mean when they say 1080p. Doesn't really exist. To broadcast this would require cameras that capture at that rate (very rare/expensive) and an editing and infrastructure that could support it. It is not part of the ATSC broadcast standard, so it could not be sent OTA. Takes up a huge amount of bandwidth. Rumors are that PS3 and the 2 HiDef DVDs coming out will provide such signals. But where is the source material? Filmed movies are recorded at 24 fps/displayed at 48 fps. Converting to 1080 60p would not be very good. To take advantage of 1080 60p, you must capture, process, transport and deliver in that format.

It ain't gonna happen. Not in the next few years anyway- I daresay we will never see 1080 60p broadcast OTA in our lifetimes.

1080p

I think that what ESPN is planning, is using some 1080p camera's and processing equipment and end result will be converted to 720p for distribution and broadcating . This is JMHO.

Jamesmck

here is the link, http://www.hdtvtechno.com/, just scrool down and look for ESPN

"ESPN HD - broadcasting 720p, with Future Plans For 1080p
ESPN HD will air over 120 sporting events broadcast in HDTV, in their first year alone. This will include MLB, NHL, NBA, NFL Sunday Night Football, NCAA college football & basketball and more. ESPN HD is currently available from DirecTV, Dish Network, Voom, and a number of cable companies, including select areas of Comcast, Insight, Cox, National Cable Television Cooperative, Service Electric, Utilacom, TWC, Comporium, RCN and Blue Ridge.
A new HD studio facility is on line As Of June 7 2004, which is providing programs like SportsCenter & Sunday NFL Countdown & NFL Primetime & Monday Night Countdown & Baseball Tonight in HDTV. More ESPN Shows & More Sport Highlights going to be broadcasted In HDTV, as they Upgrade the rest of The ESPN Studios sometime in 2005.
The latest schedule includes Sunday Night Football, NCAA Division 1-A College Football Saturday and Thursday, and MLB Playoffs. NEWS FLASH: ESPN HD will more than double the number of live HD events to 300 for 2005.
News-Flash: ESPN-HD To Migrate to 1080p Broadcasts in the Future ESPN HD migrate to 1080p
As a Note: ESPN-HD does not broadcast Dolby 5.1 Audio at this time, ESPN-Hd has only choosen to broadcast Circle Surround 5.1 Audio. More info about Circle Surround Audio
ESPN HDTV PROGRAMMING UPDATE - ESPN has announced a total of 71 live events that will be broadcast in HDTV in March and April. Highlights include Major League Baseball, the Frozen Four of the NCAA Hockey Championships, the NBA Playoffs, 26 NCAA Basketball Conference Tournament games from The Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, and ACC. Viewers should note that the ACC and Big 12 Tournament coverage will be blacked out in Big 12 and ACC territory. This means no HDTV coverage if you are in either territory.
Breaking News: The NFL's "Monday Night Football," a staple on ABC for the past 35 seasons, will move to ESPN starting with the 2006 season ABC Sunday Night Football Deal
Breaking News: 8/19/2005: ESPN HD will begin broadcasting Dolby Digital 5.1 Audio, soon ESPN HD Dolby Digital 5.1 Audio
ESPN HD is now broadcasting Little League Baseball games & PRCA National finals Rodeo in HD
Breaking NEws: 11/10/2005: ESPN HD will broadcast all 64 World Cup Soccer Games in 2006 in HD World Cup Soccer Games in 2006 In HD
All college football bowl games will be in HDTV
breaking News: 1/25/2006 The long awaited event has come !!! Both ESPN 2 HD and ESPN HD are now broadcasting Dolby Digital 5.1 audio finally !!!! "

coffee_bean said:
here is the link, http://www.hdtvtechno.com/, just scrool down and look for ESPN

"ESPN HD - broadcasting 720p, with Future Plans For 1080p
ESPN HD will air over 120 sporting events broadcast in HDTV, in their first year alone. This will include MLB, NHL, NBA, NFL Sunday Night Football, NCAA college football & basketball and more. ESPN HD is currently available from DirecTV, Dish Network, Voom, and a number of cable companies, including select areas of Comcast, Insight, Cox, National Cable Television Cooperative, Service Electric, Utilacom, TWC, Comporium, RCN and Blue Ridge.
A new HD studio facility is on line As Of June 7 2004, which is providing programs like SportsCenter & Sunday NFL Countdown & NFL Primetime & Monday Night Countdown & Baseball Tonight in HDTV. More ESPN Shows & More Sport Highlights going to be broadcasted In HDTV, as they Upgrade the rest of The ESPN Studios sometime in 2005.
The latest schedule includes Sunday Night Football, NCAA Division 1-A College Football Saturday and Thursday, and MLB Playoffs. NEWS FLASH: ESPN HD will more than double the number of live HD events to 300 for 2005.
News-Flash: ESPN-HD To Migrate to 1080p Broadcasts in the Future ESPN HD migrate to 1080p
As a Note: ESPN-HD does not broadcast Dolby 5.1 Audio at this time, ESPN-Hd has only choosen to broadcast Circle Surround 5.1 Audio. More info about Circle Surround Audio
ESPN HDTV PROGRAMMING UPDATE - ESPN has announced a total of 71 live events that will be broadcast in HDTV in March and April. Highlights include Major League Baseball, the Frozen Four of the NCAA Hockey Championships, the NBA Playoffs, 26 NCAA Basketball Conference Tournament games from The Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, and ACC. Viewers should note that the ACC and Big 12 Tournament coverage will be blacked out in Big 12 and ACC territory. This means no HDTV coverage if you are in either territory.
Breaking News: The NFL's "Monday Night Football," a staple on ABC for the past 35 seasons, will move to ESPN starting with the 2006 season ABC Sunday Night Football Deal
Breaking News: 8/19/2005: ESPN HD will begin broadcasting Dolby Digital 5.1 Audio, soon ESPN HD Dolby Digital 5.1 Audio
ESPN HD is now broadcasting Little League Baseball games & PRCA National finals Rodeo in HD
Breaking NEws: 11/10/2005: ESPN HD will broadcast all 64 World Cup Soccer Games in 2006 in HD World Cup Soccer Games in 2006 In HD
All college football bowl games will be in HDTV
breaking News: 1/25/2006 The long awaited event has come !!! Both ESPN 2 HD and ESPN HD are now broadcasting Dolby Digital 5.1 audio finally !!!! "
Interestingly enough this info was gleaned from a poster at AVS who gleaned from another site.. I would not hold your breath on seing 1080p broadcast anytime soon
http://archive.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=440593

http://www.warren-news.com/tvandcableservices.htm

Is this from one of those journalists that report someone recovering from fatal wounds? Does he know his "i" from his "p"?

Great reporting- source is a thread posting a rumor!

Reread my previous posting. Don't count on 1080p.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)