New Receivers and New Packages

HDTV Rookie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 1, 2003
Texas
Hi Folks

It has been a long long time since I have been on this website. Unfortunately I have been busy protecting our country and going to school. My Unit returned from Iraq just before the Holidays after being gone for over 1 year. I am glad to say all have return without any causualities.

Anyway, I decided to come on the site to check it out and I have to say Scott sure has made this place grow. OK here is my question

I currently have old gear, 811, 508, and (3) 301's. I have AT180, HD pack, & voom below is what I pay. I was wondering what receivers I should go to and what sub plan would work best for me.

DISHNET LOCAL PACKAGE 8.99
DIGITAL HOME PLAN WITH AT180, 3 RCVRS 64.99
ADDL RECEIVER ACCESS FEE 5.0
ADDL RECEIVER ACCESS FEE 5.0
DISH NETWORK HD PACKAGE 9.99
VOOM ORIGINAL 5.0
Account Charges $ 98.97
Total $ 98.97
Taxes
STATE/LOCAL TAX (SALES/GROSS RECEIPTS) 1.19
Total Taxes $ 1.19
Total Amount Due $ 100.16

Thx all

I want to extend a huge "THANK YOU!!!" for the work you did by protecting our country.

I'm waiting to hear responses since I'm in the same boat you are. I have a 811 and 508, and am wondering what the price and hassle's going to be to upgrade my 811 to a 622. Would love to be able to record HD programs and have an additional TV hooked up for my son's room.

well that's an easy one. It'll cost you $299 to upgrade your 811 to a 622

Well I just spoke with a CSR and was happy to find out that for $49 and an 18 month commitment I could get the 622. I could get it installed as soon as this Wednesday. However, I was not able to get acurate info on the new packages.

Re:

I would call back. I recommend talking with TECH SUPPORT. They are much more helpful. You will NOT be able to ugrade to a 622 for $49; trust me.

hamiltonjm is right. You can get a 211 for $49 if you trade in your 811. That's actually a pretty good deal. But the 622VIP is a $299 lease with an 18 month commitment. CSRs have been running us in circles since this stuff went live so call back and get it straightened out.

I will call them back, but the CSR charged my cc just $49 and identified a VIP 622 as the receiver I will get installed. I am also giving them 2 receivers instead of 1, maybe that is the other difference. I am not sure maybe if the length I have been with Dish is a factor, but I also am on a super old plan (Digital Home Plan) from like 1999. I am on the line holding to confirm the info given before. I'll let you all know

Thx

Re

I believe you will just get a $25 credit for returning your other recievers. (Not sure about 2) But I am 100% sure that there are no upgrade options that involve $49 and a 622. I would just call and inquire about the reciever that is scheduled to come out. I don't believe thier computers would allow them to charge $49 and ship you a 622. But if so, you may have hit a jackpot, and I would not say another word about it.

PS: Remember to talk to TECH SUPPORT--not the normal CSR for upgrading packages

Last edited:
Be very careful on this. Someone earlier did the $49 thing and verified several times that it was a 622, but on installation day it turned out the guy showed up with a 625 non-HD DVR.

OK folks, after speaking to another rude and unimformed CSR, I finally spoke with a floor supervisor. My hopes were destroyed. The supervisor advised me that the CSR had scheduled me for an installation of a 522, (not sure how you can talk all about the 622 features and HDTV and confuse that with a 522) but did let me know for the incredible and unbelievable price of $299, I could upgrade to the 622. And he even made sure to mention what a steal I was getting when I consider that others would be paying over $700.00 for it. Yeah, and my name is Charlie. Oh well, I guess I will keep my same old setup for now and wait until after April to see what is going on. Thanks folks

Edit: If I decided to upgrade to the 211, besides the MPEG-4, what would the advantage of the 211 be over the 811.

Also, I asked before, but just to also cover it here. The info provided for the new HD Packages does not state how many receivers are included with the pricing, does anyone have any idea how many receivers would be included with the HD Gold before you have to start paying for each addtional receiver. meaning if I have 5 receivers (211, 508, (3) 301's) am I going to have to pay 74.99 plus $6 for the 211 + $20 for the 4 other receivers, and I currently have locals plus superstation pack, Gold + locals is $74.99 for local , how much extra for the superstations pack.

Last edited:
With Gold, you will start paying the extra receiver fee with the second AND EVERY additional receiver. With Platinum, the DVR fees are waived. Sadly, it looks like the extra receiver fees are not.

The 211 allows you to get HD locals plus a few more national HD channels. You cannot activate a 811 for ANY HD anymore- you can only use it as a SD receiver, unless you had an HD package in place before 2/1/06 and continued it- which it seems you have.

HD Gold w/locals.................$74.99
4 extra SD receivers............$20.00
Superstations.....................$5.99
lease fee on ViP211/ViP622...$6.00
no DVR fee for the 508
$98 fee to start leasing the ViP211.
$299 fee to start leasing the ViP622

navychop said:
With Gold, you will start paying the extra receiver fee with the second AND EVERY additional receiver. With Platinum, the DVR fees are waived. Sadly, it looks like the extra receiver fees are not.

The 211 allows you to get HD locals plus a few more national HD channels. You cannot activate a 811 for ANY HD anymore- you can only use it as a SD receiver, unless you had an HD package in place before 2/1/06 and continued it- which it seems you have.

HD Gold w/locals.................$74.99
4 extra SD receivers............$20.00
Superstations.....................$5.99
lease fee on ViP211/ViP622...$6.00
no DVR fee for the 508
$98 fee to start leasing the ViP211.
$299 fee to start leasing the ViP622

Thx for the info, just an FYI the 211 is $49 not $98

HDTV Rookie said:
Edit: If I decided to upgrade to the 211, besides the MPEG-4, what would the advantage of the 211 be over the 811.

I have an 811 with the old $9.99 HD package and AT60, so my monthly fee is (9.99+29.99) and a want to upgrade to HDBronze (49.99). Called Dish yesterday and they told me what I already knew about needing a new Dish to pick up the additional satellite and a new receiver (MPEG4). The person I spoke with said there would also be a one time $49 fee to upgrade receiver and dish and $6/month DVR fee. I told her I did not want DVR but she said there was no HD plan without DVR. the 211 receiver is MPEG 4 w/o DVR and the 622 is MPEG w/ DVR, right? What am I missing?

Any suggestions who I need to call or talk to to get the 211 receiver? There are no specials or promo's going on to wave the $49 upgrade fee are there?

lkewin said:
... The person I spoke with said there would also be a one time $49 fee to upgrade receiver and dish and $6/month DVR fee. I told her I did not want DVR but she said there was no HD plan without DVR. the 211 receiver is MPEG 4 w/o DVR and the 622 is MPEG w/ DVR, right? What am I missing?

Any suggestions who I need to call or talk to to get the 211 receiver? There are no specials or promo's going on to wave the $49 upgrade fee are there?
You're right. The CSR you spoke to was wrong. Call back, use the options for HD Tech Support to do the upgrade. That's what worked for me.

No, you still pay the $49, but you get a lot for that, IMO.

mdonnelly said:
You're right. The CSR you spoke to was wrong. Call back, use the options for HD Tech Support to do the upgrade. That's what worked for me.

No, you still pay the $49, but you get a lot for that, IMO.

Thx. Even though the 211 is a non-DVR box, is there still a $6/month fee? I noticed on the Q1 2006 DISH'n It Up Promo infor that is posted here, that it mentions a $6/month "MPEG-4 Lease Fee" So..the "real" monthly fee for HDBronze is $ 55.99?

Unfortunately Dish has burdened their high rate of turnover CSR staff with an incredibly stupid receiver numbering scheme.

Consider the following receivers:

211, 311, 510, 522, 622, 625, 721, 811, 921, and 942

Who would look at such a list and recognize that the most advanced non-DVR on the list is the 211, and the most advanced DVR is the 622?

Then think about all of the programming packages and options and requisites and commitments and grandfather plans.

When running a high volume front line customer service operation, one of the cardinal rules is to keep things simple. Dish has not kept things simple, or even logical. So all of us reap the consequences in getting unreliable information.

lkewin:

I think that $6 lease fee is something you have to pay for with any package - so, in essence you are right the bronze package is $54.99. I called twice last night (one to CSR and one to tech support) to upgrade and the $6 fee was quoted both times.

This surprised me as well....

All leased receivers under the new plans incur a monthly lease fee whether they are the first or fifth receiver in your package. This is another attempt by Dish to increase rates by hiding them in new mandatory fees. Can you spee RIP OFF!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)