new roku firmware 6.1 build 5520 discussion

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bluegras

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
So, new stuff:

Menu rearranged
System Restart option added
Targeted advertising by default added (with opt out)
Audio options to control digital out formats and stereo/surround including 'Auto' settings added
New Roku Media Player app
Seems Faster™

What did you spot?

bluegras Allen

Reactions: whitewolf8214
I haven't used my '2 in a while. Did this build go out to ALL models?
i have 2 also i think it went out to all models this morning you can set you sound output to dolby digital + it sounds great on my 5.1 surround sound system

found several complaints about it. they say dont do a factory reset. mine just keeps locking up and looping back to the old firmware, guess i will contact roku tomorrow and see whats up.

I use one model of universal remote in my living room, game room, and bedroom, the Philips 7-device learning remote. (One for each room.) Since this update, (2) Roku 2 Xs's are both fine for overall functions, displaying no reboot or other issues.... as is my one newer Roku "2", but I wish the software engineers would not mess with the functions of buttons! I originally programmed the roku's "select" into the Philips' center "ok" button, and it worked additionally as play/pause when actively watching a streaming presentation, just like the original roku remote did. No longer does it work that way. Now, when playing a stream, it simply pops up a title box with time and episode name. Apparently the new update changed the button's function. That button only works in it's original fashion when using an ORIGINAL ROKU box. Luckily I have enough memory in my simple 7-device Philips (very versatile and inexpensive) to program the lower "play" button for play/pause. It WAS easier, however when the simple "select" also did this function during actual streaming. I know it's a small change, but why would they change a function which has been the same across ALL models until this update? Since I use the same model remote in all rooms, the update is easy for me to make, now it's just a re-training of my brain and fingers that is needed.

Still love my Roku's...always will, I'd venture a bet...but...Darn software updates! Wish we could just click a "leave it alone, it WORKS virtual button option on-screen to refuse this crap on boxes we buy.
And why can't we just call the channel store the CHANNEL STORE??
We live in the "if it works, muck it up with change" era of our electronic, connected world.

By the way, It was not me who turned the word ROKU into a link to a retailer here, either. Interesting.

Last edited:
My stick here in the house is still fubar'd. dang thing reset itself back to factory and I had to connect to my business internet to be close enough to the router to try the trick online to get it back to 5.6 instead of the constant loop trying 6.1.

I need to go to lake tomorrow, so I can check that one while I'm there, before messing with Roku inadequate support, unfortunately my other stick is in Las Vegas and nothing I can do to check it. I mainly use them for watchespn, if they keep acting up will just go with the chromecast.

Has any Amazon Prime user noticed a VERY reduced function in fast forward, rewind, and ability to return to the "parent" menu since this upgrade?
On my Roku 2, the fast forward might nearly be "frame by frame"...and the return to the Netflix menu is slow at best, sometimes not working at all. Have rebooted, have verified the firmware is the one being discussed. It's my only Roku 2 unit.

They pulled the update last night, because of problems with locked up roku's and sluggish operation. Tonight is the first time in a week I've been able to turn it on and its not locked up. Wish I had known that before I spent an hour last night setting up a support ticket. I probably will have 4 or 5 come to my email now as the website kept timing out and saying failed submission. I was surprised to get a response to one of them about an hour ago, saying it was being investigated and when I checked the forums it was showing the update had been pulled so engineering could investigate

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)