New Roof

Even if you could do it, I think mounting on a steel roof would cause reception problems. The metal roof would expand and contract with temp changes.

Mounting to a metal roof can cause a number of problems, with the dish and the roof itself. It's not worth it.

Reactions: andreah1
Thanks, if we go steel we'll def. go with a pole install then. Just waiting to hear from the contractor which would be best (cheapest) right now on the roofing....

Why not? That is where mine is currently mounted. I have had zero issues with it, and we don't get enough snow to worry about clearing it.

Steel roof can cause more issues in the long run, especially with leaking. I do not enjoy getting a nasty letter from a customer years after an install saying that my tech ruined their roof. When you run a business you need to protect yourself from possible issues like this.

There sure is. I'm also located in upstate NY. I'm about 20 miles east of Rochester. when I was changed to the earc, the installer moved the dish from the middle of the front slope of the roof where I had installed my own dish over 18 years ago. He said it had to be accessible by a ladder without having to get on the roof. As far as losing signal due to snow, it only happens a couple of times a year, if that. It's the heavy wet snow. Most of the snow we get does not effect the signal. The wind just blows the snow off.

Even if you could do it, I think mounting on a steel roof would cause reception problems. The metal roof would expand and contract with temp changes.

If your metal roof is expanding that much then satellite reception will be the least of your worries because you are going to have leakage problems because the metal roof wasn't installed right.

These outfits that are installing metal roofs directly to a roof with out installing a sub frame underneath are doing it wrong and that metal roof will be leaking in a couple years.

I have no experience with a metal roof. I was just thinking that it might be a problem. I had a convential tear off and reroof several years ago.

Keep in mind though that having it closer to the ground makes it more susceptible to interference to trees and taller objects that can move/grow in front of the dish. (Basketball goals, vehicles, bushes, livestock, etc.) If your free of all of these obstructions a pole mount makes sense but the easier it is for you to access makes it easier for everything else to access and knock it out of alignment as well :).

in-house techs will not mount to a metal roof
it may also void any warranty you have on the roof

also, never let the roofers remount the dish

We've decided to stay with shingles, just easier all the way around at this time. My brother (who is a contractor) is going to do it when time permits and we're hoping we can just lift the dish up, shingle then put it back in the same spot without much disturbance. Would be great if it just needed a little adjustment that could be done over the phone.
And yes, we get quite a bit more snow than Texas, lol! Last year was pretty lax though. Hoping for a little more this year.

We've decided to stay with shingles, just easier all the way around at this time. My brother (who is a contractor) is going to do it when time permits and we're hoping we can just lift the dish up, shingle then put it back in the same spot without much disturbance. Would be great if it just needed a little adjustment that could be done over the phone.
And yes, we get quite a bit more snow than Texas, lol! Last year was pretty lax though. Hoping for a little more this year.

Chances are it's going to need some slight adjustment but you may be able to handle it yourself.

Hey some cities in North Texas are buying snow plows after the last few winters. As far as lifting and reshingling under the dish good luck the surface and thickness of the shingle can change the location of the dish slightly. One eighth of an inch when looking at a van sized satellite 22,300 miles away can be quite a movement.

Remove the 4 of 5 lag screws only. The foot should be parallel to the edge now so simply remount it that way and it should be good. If the foot is angled - can't think of any reason it would be though - it will be tricky to relocate.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

We'll do our best, worse comes to worse, we'll just have to make a service call and pray that they have an opening within a day or so. Didn't think about the shingles being slightly different thickness, could be the case but won't know for sure until they are up there.
I hope the satellite Gods will be with us that day, lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)