New Samsung TVs - do they have capacitor probs too?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rapper450

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2015
Woodbury, MN
This is not a DISH issue, I know, but I am going to replace my 7-yr-old Samsung TV which has a problem turning on (capacitors need replacing per many helpful responders :hatsoff) with a new 4K UHD Samsung! Am I just buying a new set of problems? Does anyone know if Samsung has improved that area of their design? Or is it just too early in the history of these type TVs (4K UHD) to have any valid info?

This is not a DISH issue, I know, but I am going to replace my 7-yr-old Samsung TV which has a problem turning on (capacitors need replacing per many helpful responders :hatsoff) with a new 4K UHD Samsung! Am I just buying a new set of problems? Does anyone know if Samsung has improved that area of their design? Or is it just too early in the history of these type TVs (4K UHD) to have any valid info?
You answered your own question, capacitors fail over time not 30 days from installation. Seven years of usage is not what I would call a problem just normal wear and tear.

OK, thanks for the input. I was just picking the collective brains of the group in case there was a record of an ongoing issue in this area. B-t-w: I am of the age group that expects products to have a longer expected life than 7 years.

The capacitor issue was a problem that occurred in the 2005-2008 timeframe. The entire electronics industry got burned by faulty Chinese produced capacitors that failed in use after a short time. That issue was pretty much addressed by 2009, but so many items were affected that land mines are still lurking. Buying new now shouldn't have that issue as the bad stuff has been flushed out of the pipeline for years now.

However, electrolytic capacitors are historically the most failure prone electronic component, and every time one fails we get reminded of that incident.

Reactions: rapper450
Expect electronics to last no more than 5 years as long as the crap is manufactured in China, where hardly anything is regulated. A lot of old computers and televisions made in the USA are still going after 30, 40 years. That is the main reason why specifications/standards are evolving so much... so that most folks will upgrade long before most of the electronics fail. Transistors getting so small is also leading to more failures as heat is being concentrated into a much smaller area than when things were spread out over a larger area.

Reactions: rapper450
Thanks to the several people above for the more detailed responses. They provide the type of information I was looking for. I will go on with my purchase now, feeling somewhat more confident I have at least done my homework. I realize nothing is guaranteed (well, not beyond the basic warranty anyway - and I do NOT purchase the extended one!) Again, THANKS!

Thanks to the several people above for the more detailed responses. They provide the type of information I was looking for. I will go on with my purchase now, feeling somewhat more confident I have at least done my homework. I realize nothing is guaranteed (well, not beyond the basic warranty anyway - and I do NOT purchase the extended one!) Again, THANKS!
What size Samsung do you plan to purchase?

I am personally discusted with Samsung right now as the refuse to do anything about the white/black dot issue on my led DLP when it's an obvious problem with many people. I wonder if it's worth pursuing a class action lawsuit? Do these tv's have any other issue with the led DLP that don't take the bulbs or are they good to go for a while again afterwards? I don't want to put money into it just to have something else go wrong. I know that the DMD chip is only $200.

Samsung? Or TI?

Anyway, getting a settlement on electronics over 5 years old is a long shot. BTW, does anybody know of ANY class action that benefited consumers more than lawyers?

I am personally discusted with Samsung right now as the refuse to do anything about the white/black dot issue on my led DLP when it's an obvious problem with many people. I wonder if it's worth pursuing a class action lawsuit? Do these tv's have any other issue with the led DLP that don't take the bulbs or are they good to go for a while again afterwards? I don't want to put money into it just to have something else go wrong. I know that the DMD chip is only $200.

DMDs are good for about 10,000 hours, which was about 5 years on my first DLP set. The $200 for the DMD after about 5 years of use isn't as bad as buying a new panel when pixels start to go on a LCD. I don't think there is any modern TV that is guaranteed to last more than 5 years. That is just a fact of how complicated they are now and every TV manufacturer on a race to the bottom.

Mitsubishi provided new DMDs free of charge but charged $200 for the labor, so the replacement cost was a wash. I still saved $40 by doing it myself and getting the DMD from ShopJimmy.

I don't think there is any modern TV that is guaranteed to last more than 5 years.
Thanks to California law, parts availability was raised to seven years so realistically, you can't expect to go much beyond nine years.

Even ShopJimmy support trails off when the sold-off spares inventory is depleted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts