new sat ...

cebbigh

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 24, 2005
Frostbite Falls
Anyone know what they will do with this?

http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/060630/1310034.html?.v=1

bizjournals.com
Palo Alto company to build DISH Network satellite
Friday June 30, 12:40 pm ET

EchoStar Communications Corp. has hired Space Systems/Loral to build a satellite.
Financial terms of the deal weren't disclosed. Englewood, Colo.-based EchoStar (NASDAQ: DISH - News) runs the DISH Network, which sells digital TV via satellite.

Space Systems/Loral is based in Palo Alto. It is a unit of Loral Space & Communications Ltd. (NASDAQ: LORL - News), based in New York.

Space Systems also helps companies arrange launches for their satellites.

The satellite to be built is a 1300 series, a type introduced by Space Systems in the 1980s. It will be built in Palo Alto.

Published June 30, 2006 by San Francisco Business Times

I believe this is Echostar XI. My brother-in-law, who works for SSL, told me they were working on a satelite for Echostar several months ago. Unless this is a new one.....

wyattg said:
I believe this is Echostar XI. My brother-in-law, who works for SSL, told me they were working on a satelite for Echostar several months ago. Unless this is a new one.....

Could this be the spotbeam satellite replacement for the 129 slot?

Yeah it says its going to be one of their 1300 Series Birds. More info here

http://www.ssloral.com/html/products/1300.html

The 1300, an industry leader in power, performance, and reliability, is a space-proven platform for a wide range of satellite services. The 1300 was first introduced in the mid-1980s and has been in constant evolutionary development to deliver increasingly higher power, greater flexibility, and longer mission life, keeping SS/L in the forefront of satellite technology.

The versatile 1300 series has a total satellite power capability ranging from 5 to 25 kW continuously throughout the life of the spacecraft, and can support from as few as 12 active transponders to as many as 150 transponders.

SS/L's 1300 features a lightweight and high-strength structure, fuel-efficient attitude and stationkeeping subsystems, high efficiency and reliable solar arrays and batteries, and advanced command and control subsystems.

SS/L manufactures the 1300 in our state-of-art facility in Palo Alto, California. Integration of components into payload and bus subsystems, as well as satellite system level testing, are all performed in this location with highly efficient and well-established processes. This centralized production philosophy coupled with colocated subsystem and systems engineering resources enables SS/L to deliver reliable satellites on a dependable schedule.

http://www.ssloral.com/

I would think that E* is going to need to start replacing older and sick birds soon. E* oldest birds are about 10 years old now, is not the life expectancy of a satellite about 12 years old?

JohnH said:
The new satellite for 129w will not be an EchoStar bird.

Why is that John? I know that I'm showing my ignorance here, but I haven't followed and I'm curious. Thanks.

Hmm I wonder who will be useing the new Galaxy 16 Satellite?? Which PanAmSat just got bought by Intelsat. I noticed on the Sat Chart they have a Sat at 129W which is the IA-7.

http://www.ssloral.com/html/pressreleases/pr20060618.html

Newest PanAmSat Satellite To Expand HDTV and IPTV Distribution Across North America

Palo Alto, CA - June 18, 2006 — Galaxy 16, a high-power fixed satellite service (FSS) spacecraft built for PanAmSat Corporation (NYSE: PA) by Space Systems/Loral (SS/L), was successfully launched today at 12:50 a.m. PDT. The satellite was delivered into a geosynchronous transfer orbit aboard a Sea Launch Zenit-3SL rocket from the Odyssey Launch Platform, positioned on the equator in the Pacific Ocean. Space Systems/Loral is a subsidiary of Loral Space & Communications (NASDAQ: LORL).

"Galaxy 16 illustrates SS/L's expertise in developing cost-effective, high-utility FSS spacecraft for use by the world's largest communications carriers," said Patrick DeWitt, president, Space Systems/Loral. "With a cost-effective integration of advanced satellite features and high performance, space-proven technology, Galaxy 16 will provide PanAmSat with the ability to deliver highly competitive and reliable services to their customers."

Weighing in at 4,640 kg (10,229 pounds), Galaxy 16 is designed to provide over 10 kilowatts of power throughout its 15-year mission life. The satellite's communications payload carries 24 high-power Ku-band and 24 C-band transponders. From its orbital location at 99 degrees West longitude, Galaxy 16 will provide coverage for data and video services, including high-definition television (HDTV) broadcasts and IPTV (Internet Protocol Television), across the entire United States, including Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico, in addition to Canada and Mexico.

The satellite is the fourth spacecraft built for PanAmSat by SS/L. A fifth, Galaxy 18, is currently under construction at SS/L's facility in Palo Alto, Calif., scheduled for delivery in 2007.

Through its owned and operated fleet of 24 satellites, PanAmSat (NYSE: PA) is a leading global provider of video, broadcasting and network distribution and delivery services. It transmits nearly 2,000 television channels worldwide and, as such, is the leading carrier of standard and high-definition signals. In total, the Company's in-orbit fleet is capable of reaching over 98 percent of the world's population through cable television systems, broadcast affiliates, direct-to-home operators, Internet service providers and telecommunications companies. In addition, PanAmSat supports the largest concentration of satellite-based business networks in the U.S., as well as specialized communications services in remote areas throughout the world. For more information, visit the Company's Web site at www.panamsat.com.

Space Systems/Loral is a premier designer, manufacturer, and integrator of powerful satellites and satellite systems. SS/L also provides a range of related services that include mission control operations and procurement of launch services. Based in Palo Alto, Calif., the company has an international base of commercial and governmental customers whose applications include broadband digital communications, direct-to-home broadcast, defense communications, environmental monitoring, and air traffic control. SS/L satellites have amassed more than 1,300 years of reliable on-orbit service. SS/L is ISO 9001:2000 certified. For more information, visit www.ssloral.com.

Loral Space & Communications is a satellite communications company. In addition to Space Systems/Loral, through its Skynet subsidiary Loral owns and operates a fleet of telecommunications satellites used to broadcast video entertainment programming, and for broadband data transmission, Internet services and other value-added communications services. For more information, visit Loral's web site at www.loral.com.

Last edited:
Well info on Galaxy16 is this.

Profile:http://www.panamsat.com/global_network/galaxy_16.asp

Galaxy 16 joins our fleet as the 11th satellite now covering the U.S., and will take over for Galaxy 4R as a broadcast, high-definition and data powerhouse.

A Loral FS 1300 Omega 2 series satellite, Galaxy 16 took off from the equator on a Sea Launch rocket. With its 24 C-band and 24 Ku-band payloads, Galaxy 16 will be home to the leading names in television such as: ABC, Comcast, FOX Broadcasting, Warner Bros., Buena Vista and Televisa as well as major customers such as National Public Radio (NPR) and Hughes Network Systems (HNS).

Galaxy 16's launch gave customers our trademark reliability and flexibility, with on-time satellite replacement to ensure continual service, two in-orbit spares and a ground spare ready for launching in 4Q 2006. We offer customers the industry’s best back-up plan with its unequaled restoration service.

Anyway just some info on some of the new sats.

Just some info Galaxy13 has these Channels

Profile: http://www.panamsat.com/global_network/galaxy_13.asp

We now operate the premier HD neighborhood in North America with Galaxy 13. With Galaxy 13's launch in 2003, PanAmSat established the premier High-Definition Television (HDTV) neighborhood in North America and reaches 100% of all digital cable subscribers in the U.S. Located at 127 degrees west longitude, Galaxy 13 gives cable headends access to High-Definition channels from such customers as:

HBO HD
Cinemax HD
Starz! HD
HDNet
HDNet Movies
Wealth TV
TNT HD
Fox Sports Net HD
The NFL Network HD
NBA HD
PanAmSat has carried HD programming since 1998, starting with special events for NHK and the 2002 World Cup.

Note: Galaxy 13 is the C-band payload on this satellite. The Ku-band payload is on Horizons 1.

Chris Freeland said:
Because E* does not own the 129 location, they lease the satellite and location from SES.
Well, I think the location is actually leased from Canada, but it doesn't matter.

Modern birds don't have to have as tight a CONUS footprint as older, weaker ones. That, along with steerable spotbeams, means that the bird could run just fine at 110, 119, or 129.

I would suspect that it may start at 129 until something can be moved there, OR it'll go somewhere else and free up a different bird for 129.

129 Ciel Canada(apparently Bankrolled by SES Americom). The new Satellite has been ordered. Up to 50% of the Frequencies are apparently leased to EchoStar for DiSH Network usage. EchoStar 5 is currently keeping the slot hot for Ciel as required by Canadian Rules. BTW: EchoStar 5 is no longer a US licensed satellite.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)