New service/Equipment Questions?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jbsperea

Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
We are going to be signing up for Directv at the end of July. We have never had it before and will be getting the dish, installation, dvr receiver and an additional standard receiver. My sister and her husband just finished their contract with Directv and gave me their 4 standard receivers (that they own) to use in our house. Now, I know that the receivers use access cards, so can I purchase new access cards for those 4 receivers so I am able to use them as well? What can I do so I am able to use these receivers as well? Is it even possible?

:welcome

Yes you can use the receivers. Try to activate them first before you purchase new access cards from Directv which are $20 a piece I believe. With a card they will work just fine. Make sure you get the new HD DVR the HR20 which is the best receiver in the fleet and will have a total of 100 HD channels give or take in the Fall. Its a great time to be joining Directv. Things are happening.

Welcome again to the forum and keep posting.

The boxes already have cards in them. So what you are saying is that those cards will still work? And I shouldn't have any problems that the boxes/cards had been used by my sister prior? I only ask because I called Directv and they said that I can't use them. How would I activate the cards and boxes that were previously owned?
Thanks for the help!

You will get conflicted information from CSR's. Sometimes the cards work, sometimes not. To save some money, try calling and activating the receivers. If they say you cant, then order new cards. Sometimes the transfer will work if the receivers are free and clear. Its less and less of a chance now with new Directv rules but worth a shot to save a few bucks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)