New setup installation

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

V1nce

Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
Hello,
I have been following these forums on and off for about 3 years and finally am at a location where I can have a FTA setup.

As such, I bought a Fortec Motorized package from Sadoun and have been trying to set it up. I have struggled with it to no avail. (I can't get a satellite signal.)

Here are some questions I need answered if possible:
1. How do I add a new transponder frequency to the Mecury II receiver? Lyngsat lists active tp at different frequencies than are available under a given satellite's tp options in the receiver. I see that I can perform a "Power Scan" but that doesn't do me much good when I am trying to get alignment down and am not aimed at the satellite. (I think.)

2. Will the little analogue satellite signal meter (SF95L) work on any Ku DVB-S satellite? I have tried going from the LNB to the signal meter and the signal meter both to the external battery pack, and/or the receiver, and manually pointed the dish at where I think the Clark Belt should be (accounting for dish offset) and the meter never, ever, moves. I've tried the same thing with the receiver meter and an assistant giving me feedback via walkie-talkie as I aimed the satellite- no use.

3. How can I tell if the LNB is working? I have the upgraded invacom universal single LNB. I've tried a generic LNB from bestbuy. I don't know if they are working or not. (My though is that they probably are, and my aiming is off.)

4. With the Digipower SG-2100 motor, can anyone give me their motor elevation settings and dish elevation settings along with a rough lat/long? The instruction booklet differs from the online calculator, and neither setting works.

5. What bird does DirecTV use? (There is an existing DirecTV setup on the roof that I'd like to try to test the meter/receiver, even if I am unable to actually pick up anything in the clear...)

6. About how much "play" in pointing do I have to get any signal above noise (not good, just verifiable) when aiming the dish?

Thanks for any help,
-Vince

Also, here is some more information for the curious:

I am at zip code 80920. I have a clear LOS to the south as my installation is up on a hill. (home roofs block the view at about 15 deg elevation and below.)

I have verified I am level and pointing to true south- I used a level and a compass, and double checked with google earth and used a line of sight at a bearing to see that I am pointing in the correct direction.

There is a DirecTv dish with 3 LNBs on it set up where I am that was here before I moved. I've tried plugging a line from one of them into the receiver and signal meter to no avail (but there is no saying this dish was set up properly to begin with. I assume it is though.)

Motor slews as receiver commands, so it seems to work.

Signal meter lights up when connected to the receiver, so that seems to work.

RG6 cable, about 200 ft to hill with view, <50 ft if I settle for aiming to satellites from about 97w to 113w.

Fortec Star 90cm Ku dish.

I will post a copy in the Sadoun customer service forum as well- but don't let that keep you from spreading the knowledge. Thanks!

simplify, Simpify, SIMPLIFY

Go to TheList and pick a bird you'd like, relatively high in the sky (somewhat close to your true south)
Then go to Iceberg's nice list of hot transponders and pick one that's good for aiming.
Actually, TheList has high-level transponders listed, too.

I'd forget the motor 'till you get a feel for things.
Use an aiming calculator that takes into account the local magnetic fluctuation from exact North/South.
The one on TheList does, and you may also enjoy one that SatAV has.

Take note that there may be an elevation error on some dishes as much as 3..5 degrees.

Ya might want to place the receiver and TV near the dish for the first tune-up.
Set the receiver to match your LNB (local oscillator frequency is important, as is Standard or Universal).
Select the satellite and transponder you are hunting.
Slowly sweep the area of the sky in question... very slowly...and you should find your bird.
You are looking for the Quality reading to rise. Peak that.

Much later, when you are ready to go back and run with the motor, then Sadoun's site has good instruction for setting that up.
However, to do it ALL from scratch, is a tall order.
Just one minor error, and you will see no signal.

For the Invacom Universal LNBF (the SNH-031), use a L.O. frequency of 9750/10600 and LNB type as universal, in your receiver setup. A DirecTV DBS LNBF from Best Buy will only receive circular signals, such as those from DirecTV and Dish Network. Most FTA is linear Ku rather than circular DBS. You can, however, use that LNBF to tune in a couple of free preview channels on the Dish Network birds (110 and 119 being the primary ones). DirecTV has satellites at 101, 110 and 119 (among others), but you won't pick up their signal on a FTA receiver since DirecTV uses a proprietary stream.

As Anole said, simplify. Take the motor and any switch out of the equation for now, and if possible, run power out to the dish and use a small TV with your receiver to tweak the dish. It takes lots of patience, as aiming at lower power Ku birds is FAR harder than aiming a small DirecTV or Dish Network dish.

Hi

To edit (add, delete, etc) a transponder in the Mercury II receiver you should do the following:

• Go to Menu
  • Antenna Setup
  • Click on the RED button on the remote
  • Follow the options

Still having trouble with TP

Hello,
Thank you for the replies. I quit trying the motor a while ago- I'd just like to see any elevation of the signal meter to ensure the other HW works. DirecTV as a confirmation seems to be out, I gather. Thanks for saving me time there.

I still have the main problem/question: I go to "The List" and find a nice transponder on a bird I think would be easy to aim (SatMex 5, 11740 V 30000) but can't get that transponder setting on the receiver. If I go to the antenna menu and click the red button, it brings me to the same transponder menu where I am given a choice of known transponders to chose from- and the frequency and settings I want are not listed in that dropdown menu. If I try manually entering numeric values here (as the manual would suggest should work) nothing happens.

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
-Vince

Speaking of installation I've had some experience pointing DBS antennas and have seen that sometimes you can locate the dish right in front of an obstacle because it looks overhead for the signal and doesn't need line of sight, per se.

Is that true of Ku signals as well? Or do you need a wide clear path in front of the antenna?

Am I explaining my question right?

Speaking of installation I've had some experience pointing DBS antennas and have seen that sometimes you can locate the dish right in front of an obstacle because it looks overhead for the signal and doesn't need line of sight, per se.

Is that true of Ku signals as well? Or do you need a wide clear path in front of the antenna?

Am I explaining my question right?
You're talking about an offset dish. Most of the dishes you'll find people using for KU are offset as well. The alternate style would be a prime focus dish - which requires a more direct aim.

The offset is usually about 22 degrees, which means your dish is actually seeing a part of the sky that is 22 degrees higher than it appears to be aimed at. My motorized dish, when aimed at 148w (farthest west satellite I can see), looks like its aimed directly at my roof, when in fact its seeing just over it :)

I feel a bit better now.

I'm trying to do my 1st FTA install and noticed more than a few possible obstacles at ground level. It's one of the Primestar dishes .75M and being in FL I'm not sure I want it on the roof if I can avoid doing so.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts