New smartphone - what minute-data plan is best?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

lparsons21

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 17, 2009
Herrin, IL 62948
I just got a new HTC Wildfire S from T-Mobile as a pay-as-you-go phone. Price was right and I also got a month of their $50 cell plan.

My useage will be about 300 minutes at most of talk, no text, and data useage will be check the weather and run whichever Golf GPS program I finally decide I like. The $50 plan is talk and text all you want, 100Mb high speed data (EDGE here) and unlimited data at I suppose 'slow' speed.

The question is how much data does weather and a golf GPS app consume assuming one round of golf (4 hours) for 20 days a month? I figger weather is pretty much nil as it defaults to showing me that all the time, but I cannot find anything that helps in figuring data useage with a golf GPS app. Any ideas, suggestions??

Other plans are a bit higher, and include more 'high speed' data, but otherwise unlimited data.

As info, while T-Mobile isn't the big guy in the house around here, 2G is the best anyone is doing.

I'm not sure anyone can estimate the data usage. I'm afraid you're just going to have to try it and monitor your usage.

You golf 20 days a month ?? :D

That app might not use much "internet" data at all, actually. It will receive data directly from the GPS satellites, not over T-Mo's network.

I'm not sure anyone can estimate the data usage. I'm afraid you're just going to have to try it and monitor your usage.

You golf 20 days a month ?? :D

That app might not use much "internet" data at all, actually. It will receive data directly from the GPS satellites, not over T-Mo's network.

Yep, 20 days for all but the very coldest months of Jan and Feb, even in those months I get some golf in. I'm retired and it is my exercise as I generally walk the course.

Golflogix downloads map data each time you play, so I've been told. I was wondering how much Internet data it uses after that, but can't find any guesstimates.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)