NEW software on Wally?

I tested it on Friday, recording two satellite shows and two OTA shows, all at the same time. All four shows recorded.
So you can use a ota dongle and get two ota tuners now, like with the hopper ? And you are sure that you can record two satellite tuners at the same time? If so we have a replacement for the 722k and it would come with no dvr fee if you have the dvr software and your own external hard drive. This would work for my parents who complain about the fees. Hell it might work for my situation too ,as long as I have two of them . One fee of 7.00 beats the 22.00 I’m paying now for the hopper 3 and the 4K joey.

So you can use a ota dongle and get two ota tuners now, like with the hopper ? And you are sure that you can record two satellite tuners at the same time? If so we have a replacement for the 722k and it would come with no dvr fee if you have the dvr software and your own external hard drive. This would work for my parents who complain about the fees. Hell it might work for my situation too ,as long as I have two of them .
Also, for those who do not want to fool with an external hard drive, there will be a new Duo DVR with an introductory DVR fee of only $5 per month. JSheridan just posted about it in another thread.

And, to answer your questions, yes the dual OTA dongle and two satellite tuners both work for recording four things at once on the Wally.

Also, for those who do not want to fool with an external hard drive, there will be a new Duo DVR with an introductory DVR fee of only $5 per month. JSheridan just posted about it in another thread.

And, to answer your questions, yes the dual OTA dongle and two satellite tuners both work for recording four things at once on the Wally.
Thanks for the clarification. I think I need to go shop for a Wally and dual tuner ota dongle at my favorite online retailer for Christmas.

That's a new one for me. I didn't know that the Wally would work with a DPH42 switch. I was trying to help someone over at dbstalk who was looking at switching from Directv, and I recommended the Wally to replace his HR24 that he used in his bedroom and took with him on trips in his motorhome. I described the switch layout for cascading a DPP44 and a DPH42 so he could have both the Hopper 3 and the Wally at home. I think the complicated switch layout scared him off, and he decided to stay with Directv. Now that I know a DPH42 will work to add a Wally, I will know what to recommend next time a similar situation comes up. :)
There're some kind've new channel stacking splitters for Wallys and 42 switches. one switch can run up to 16 Wallys. Just haven't seen enough about them to know how they work. I think right now, they're only in Commercial jobs

With the recent software release dual tuner functionality has been launched on Wally.
This will not impact customers unless they have an external hard drive.

With an EHD they can record one show and watch another simultaneously.

This will work when the Wally is connected to a DPP LNBF or a DPH 42 switch.

When using a DP LNBF or a DP switch Wally will operate as a single tuner.

Is a 1000.2 dish considered a DPP LNBF?

There're some kind've new channel stacking splitters for Wallys and 42 switches. one switch can run up to 16 Wallys. Just haven't seen enough about them to know how they work. I think right now, they're only in Commercial jobs
Okay, so the solution I described over at dbstalk probably was correct with the currently available equipment for residential installs.

Reactions: HipKat
So you can use a ota dongle and get two ota tuners now, like with the hopper ? And you are sure that you can record two satellite tuners at the same time? If so we have a replacement for the 722k and it would come with no dvr fee if you have the dvr software and your own external hard drive. This would work for my parents who complain about the fees. Hell it might work for my situation too ,as long as I have two of them . One fee of 7.00 beats the 22.00 I’m paying now for the hopper 3 and the 4K joey.
How is the tuning sensitivity on the OTA dongle? I've got a dongle on order and might eliminate my 211K if one Wally can do what I am doing now.

How is the tuning sensitivity on the OTA dongle? I've got a dongle on order and might eliminate my 211K if one Wally can do what I am doing now.
I have a 211k( not authorized) that is hooked up to my ota antenna that is also run to my hopper with the dual tuner ota dongle. I get comparable signals on both antennas and I get the same ota channels. But the Hopper software that we recently got has made it so that weaker channels that come in the yellow range will not stay in the guide. I don't know if that will be the same way on the Wally, because I don't have one yet. It might just be something on the hopper 3. Now the Hoppers shows 100% green on my main networks and sub channels ,while the 211k will show a percentage like 92 % ,but they both are consistent signals. But your situation might be different depending on where your antenna is located ,etc.

It tunes just about as well as the tuner in the 211k. However, I have always had better luck with the MT2 module (for the 722k / 222k) or the original single-tuner USB OTA adapter for Hopper / Wally. Also, see the issues that MikeD-C05 pointed out.

I have a 211k( not authorized) that is hooked up to my ota antenna that is also run to my hopper with the dual tuner ota dongle. I get comparable signals on both antennas and I get the same ota channels. But the Hopper software that we recently got has made it so that weaker channels that come in the yellow range will not stay in the guide. I don't know if that will be the same way on the Wally, because I don't have one yet. It might just be something on the hopper 3. Now the Hoppers shows 100% green on my main networks and sub channels ,while the 211k will show a percentage like 92 % ,but they both are consistent signals. But your situation might be different depending on where your antenna is located ,etc.
It is not just a Hopper 3 thing, the Wally is the same way.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Here are some tips for those of you thinking about a Dish Wally receiver purchase. The user interface on the Wally looks almost identical to the Hopper 3, so an Internet connection is very desirable, but not required. The Wally receiver has 2 USB ports and 1 wired Ethernet port. It has no built-in hard drive, no built-in OTA tuners, and no built-in WiFi, but all of that hardware is available and can be connected through the USB ports. So, why would you want to buy a Wally and connect all that stuff? Because the DVR function on the Wally has no monthly fees.
Face it--the Hopper 3 has a GREAT DVR and user interface, far superior to the crappy cloud DVRs on most Internet TV services (which often tack on a DVR fee anyway). But there are lots of folks struggling to pay the bills out there who are toying with the idea of cutting the cord and doing without, but really hate giving up the convenience of Dish and its wonderful DVR. Enter the often overlooked Dish Wally receiver, which is a great choice for those who need a simpler, less expensive alternative to the state-of-the-art Hopper 3. The Wally is also a great choice for most RVs, in my opinion.
As I said above, you would have to add some hardware to the Wally to take advantage of all the wonderful things it can do. If one USB port is used for a 2 TB DVR external USB hard drive, and the other USB port is used for your external over-the air tuner (if desired), that leaves the Wally's Ethernet port for wired Internet. No problem. But if you want to use a wireless USB Internet adapter (Dish offers one) and both USB ports are already in use, you will need a small USB hub (splitter) to add more USB ports to your Wally. I have three Wallys, and on two of them I use the AmazonBasics 4 Port USB 3.0 Hub with 5V/2.5A power adapter, which gives each Wally receiver 5 available USB ports. The USB hubs work great for me, and do not seem to slow down performance at all. (I do plug the hard drive directly into one of the Wally's two built-in USB ports.) Is it worth all those adapters and wires to get a tricked-out "Super Wally" with free DVR, OTA tuners, and wireless Internet access to Video on Demand programming and fancy Hopper-like program descriptions? It is for me. But then again, I'm the original cheapskate and I love to experiment. I have tried all of the various Internet live TV packages available out there and still prefer the convenience of Dish (although I do supplement my programming with Acorn and OANN on Roku).
The Wally will never be Hopper 3. It has far fewer tuners, and you lose several important features including Prime Time Anytime, the Sling server feature and the ability to use Joeys. All the DVRs on Wally receivers are separate from each other, so if you tape a show in the living room, it's not available in the bedroom unless you tape it in there too. You can still get Dish Anywhere on your portable phone and tablet devices, but only for Video on Demand programs. Yes, the Hopper 3 is much better. But if you just can't afford the monthly DVR fees, only need one or two receivers, don't need all the bells and whistles, or want to take a receiver in your RV to go camping, I think the Wally is a great choice. Just remember to add the cost of the outboard 2 TB hard drive (if needed) (~$75), OTA tuner dongle (if needed), and wireless Internet USB dongle (if needed) to your startup costs. Hope this info helps!

Here are some tips for those of you thinking about a Dish Wally receiver purchase. The user interface on the Wally looks almost identical to the Hopper 3, so an Internet connection is very desirable, but not required. The Wally receiver has 2 USB ports and 1 wired Ethernet port. It has no built-in hard drive, no built-in OTA tuners, and no built-in WiFi, but all of that hardware is available and can be connected through the USB ports. So, why would you want to buy a Wally and connect all that stuff? Because the DVR function on the Wally has no monthly fees.
Face it--the Hopper 3 has a GREAT DVR and user interface, far superior to the crappy cloud DVRs on most Internet TV services (which often tack on a DVR fee anyway). But there are lots of folks struggling to pay the bills out there who are toying with the idea of cutting the cord and doing without, but really hate giving up the convenience of Dish and its wonderful DVR. Enter the often overlooked Dish Wally receiver, which is a great choice for those who need a simpler, less expensive alternative to the state-of-the-art Hopper 3. The Wally is also a great choice for most RVs, in my opinion.
As I said above, you would have to add some hardware to the Wally to take advantage of all the wonderful things it can do. If one USB port is used for a 2 TB DVR external USB hard drive, and the other USB port is used for your external over-the air tuner (if desired), that leaves the Wally's Ethernet port for wired Internet. No problem. But if you want to use a wireless USB Internet adapter (Dish offers one) and both USB ports are already in use, you will need a small USB hub (splitter) to add more USB ports to your Wally. I have three Wallys, and on two of them I use the AmazonBasics 4 Port USB 3.0 Hub with 5V/2.5A power adapter, which gives each Wally receiver 5 available USB ports. The USB hubs work great for me, and do not seem to slow down performance at all. (I do plug the hard drive directly into one of the Wally's two built-in USB ports.) Is it worth all those adapters and wires to get a tricked-out "Super Wally" with free DVR, OTA tuners, and wireless Internet access to Video on Demand programming and fancy Hopper-like program descriptions? It is for me. But then again, I'm the original cheapskate and I love to experiment. I have tried all of the various Internet live TV packages available out there and still prefer the convenience of Dish (although I do supplement my programming with Acorn and OANN on Roku).
The Wally will never be Hopper 3. It has far fewer tuners, and you lose several important features including Prime Time Anytime, the Sling server feature and the ability to use Joeys. All the DVRs on Wally receivers are separate from each other, so if you tape a show in the living room, it's not available in the bedroom unless you tape it in there too. You can still get Dish Anywhere on your portable phone and tablet devices, but only for Video on Demand programs. Yes, the Hopper 3 is much better. But if you just can't afford the monthly DVR fees, only need one or two receivers, don't need all the bells and whistles, or want to take a receiver in your RV to go camping, I think the Wally is a great choice. Just remember to add the cost of the outboard 2 TB hard drive (if needed) (~$75), OTA tuner dongle (if needed), and wireless Internet USB dongle (if needed) to your startup costs. Hope this info helps!
Yes your comments are helpful and about what I expected. The only disappointment so far is the Wally has a minimum hard drive of 500gb. There goes all the salvaged hard drives from other DVRs. Oh well 500gb start at about $10 on ebay just don't know what I will buy (quality wise).

OTA dongle arrived today, IT DIDN'T WORK!!!! After three attempts to try to scan I finally pulled the plug. Reset did the trick it finally started scanning. I have a line amp run into a 2 way splitter, 1 line to Wally and 2nd line to a series 3 Tivo. I'm losing 10-11 channels on the Wally compared to Tivo but I need to play a little more. Wally picture is great, Wally menu still sucks.

I prefer the TiVo for OTA reception.

Better tuner, and you can directly copy anything you have recorded to your PC with which to do whatever you please.

Reactions: TheKrell
Thanks to Photog_7 for the informative post above. As I was reading it, it felt almost like something I would write myself. :thumbup
I do have one additional tip in response to the following:
All the DVRs on Wally receivers are separate from each other, so if you tape a show in the living room, it's not available in the bedroom unless you tape it in there too.
I get around this by connecting the composite (yellow, red, white) outputs of the living room Wally to a modulator to get the signal to my bedroom TV via RG-59 coaxial cable. This is only standard definition, but that is okay because I am still using an old analog TV in my bedroom. So this way, I have access to both Wally receivers (bedroom and living room) by simply switching inputs on my bedroom TV. I use a similar setup to get signals from the equipment hooked up in my bedroom to the TV in the living room.

Well, I ordered the special Wally with 2tb external hard drive for $179.00 and a dual tuner ota dongle for $59.00 from my online retailer I have done business with since 03. I had already paid for the dvr software when I had two 211ks on my account and that should mean I don't have to pay again. But I will test this situation at my house and if all works as it should I can take it off my account and add it to my parents account in my name and lose the 722k . Then they can save the dvr fee, which will more than off set the $2.00 increase in locals coming in January.

Well, I ordered the special Wally with 2tb external hard drive for $179.00 and a dual tuner ota dongle for $59.00 from my online retailer I have done business with since 03. I had already paid for the dvr software when I had two 211ks on my account and that should mean I don't have to pay again. But I will test this situation at my house and if all works as it should I can take it off my account and add it to my parents account in my name and lose the 722k . Then they can save the dvr fee, which will more than off set the $2.00 increase in locals coming in January.
I suggest a 40.0 remote for your father it makes things closer to 722. I also advise a whole lot of patience until he adjusts to CUI. It will probably be a couple of months before he can feel comfortable

I am doing the exact same thing, testing out a Wally to possibly replace my sister's ViP722k.

I suggest a 40.0 remote for your father it makes things closer to 722. I also advise a whole lot of patience until he adjusts to CUI. It will probably be a couple of months before he can feel comfortable
I also recommend the 40.0, although it surprised me how quickly I got used to using the 54.0 with my second Wally. The buttons on the 54.0 seem to be laid out much better than the 52.0, and the 54.0's backlight and voice control functionality are also nice bonuses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)