NEW software on Wally?

I suggest a 40.0 remote for your father it makes things closer to 722. I also advise a whole lot of patience until he adjusts to CUI. It will probably be a couple of months before he can feel comfortable
IF you use the classic color blue instead of the modern red and black theme ,older people will be more comfortable.

Usually one eye is bad enought to require surgery and after that one is done, the difference between the repaired eye and the other one is noticable, so both eyes end up getting done.

My right eye was pretty cloudy and after it was fixed I could tell the left one was cloudy also.

In addition the repaired eye was close to 20/20 while the other one was 20/200 which made it almost impossible to function, the images were so different in size.

I would think so . He had cataracts in both eyes, but he didn't want to spend the money to have the second eye done. I think he was scared and didn't want to admit it.
I can't imagine why he would be scared. They never do both eyes at the same time. They do the first and then weeks to a month later do the other. He already knows how the first eye went so he shouldn't be frightened at all.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I am doing the exact same thing, testing out a Wally to possibly replace my sister's ViP722k.
I have a question for you. Another thread has a guy ,who says he installs Wally’s and he says they are plagued with problems like non functioning guide and the time being off by 4 hours and needing to unplug it to reboot on a daily basis. Have you noticed these problems with software 430 ?

I have a question for you. Another thread has a guy ,who says he installs Wally’s and he says they are plagued with problems like non functioning guide and the time being off by 4 hours and needing to unplug it to reboot on a daily basis. Have you noticed these problems with software 430 ?
Why would this type of software problems be a surprise to long time DISH subscribers? Seeing Jsheridan posted in that thread that he had seen those problems I expect they do exist. .We all know DISH has spoiled more software releases than they have cured.

No, not yet anyway, but I haven't done many Wallys with the newest software yet

Why would this type of software problems be a surprise to long time DISH subscribers? Seeing Jsheridan posted in that thread that he had seen those problems I expect they do exist. .We all know DISH has spoiled more software releases than they have cured.
After 21 years with DISH I am never surprised that they can screw up the software. But I just bought a Wally with the intention of testing it for my parents and if it worked well place it on their account ,in my name , and replace the 722k and save the dvr fee. This is the first time I noticed there were any major problems ,till I saw the thread on Never ending problems on the Wally .

After 21 years with DISH I am never surprised that they can screw up the software. But I just bought a Wally with the intention of testing it for my parents and if it worked well place it on their account ,in my name , and replace the 722k and save the dvr fee. This is the first time I noticed there were any major problems ,till I saw the thread on Never ending problems on the Wally .
Are you seeing any major problems? I am not.

Are you seeing any major problems? I am not.
I don't have it yet. It will arrive on the 4th and I expect I won't be able to test it fully till the following weekend. But I am looking forward to seeing if it does the full 4 shows at a time like you said. If this works I think I can switch it out for my parents and they can stop paying the dvr fee and it will off set the increase in locals price. This will most likely be the last year my parents are on DISH . I think they want to switch to cable after the 2nd year of the price lock is over come 2019.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Well I got my Wally yesterday and hooked it up after I got home from work about 9:30pm. Took till 12:30am to get it all set up activated by the technical dept.(foreign csr) and to download the latest software. The ota dongle wasn't working right when I got up this morning and freezing up causing reboots , so I swapped my ota dongle from my hopper with the Wally dongle and they both now work. I can confirm that I can record 4 shows at a time like Crodules said he could. I have set up multiple timers for today and during the night using all 4 tuners( 2 sat /2ota) , so I can see how well it does tonight when I get home from work. So far it operates much like my hopper3 ,the speed is a little slower than I would like,but it is a Wally. The good part was that I had 211ks on my account prior to my first hopper in 2012 so the dvr software was already enabled. All I had to do was hook up the external hard drive and it asked if I wanted to reformat the drive I pushed yes and it rebooted and when I came back it was ready for use. If after the next 2 weeks it operates reliably , I am moving it to my second account for my parents. I just hope the newer ota dongle will do a better job of reception than the old ota module in the 722k did. The old ota module was built for the early days of HD , so I hope that the new ota dongle will be more receptive and keep solid signals on all their ota channels. Their Phillips tv ota tuner picks them up with out fail , but the 722k ota module seems to suffer from fluctuating signal on one of their Uhf stations no matter where you put the antenna.

Thanks to Crodules for your review and information about the Wally . :hatsoffIt will make a good replacement for the 722k that is now reaching 8 or 9 years old now .:bigok

Oh well I ran into a little problem with the ota dongle. It was over heating and causing the Wally to freeze up and reboot. So I swapped the dongle on the hopper and put it on the Wally and vice a versa. The Wally ran great with no freezes or lockup’s. The hopper started having the same problems with freezes and reboots. When I checked the new dongle it was blazing hot in comparison with the older one I had on the hopper, so I deduced it was not working right. So I called a Mark at Dishdepot and he said that they do get some of these back because of the running too hot . They are made in Malaysia and he said this is what DISH has been sending them. So he will send me one from his newest shipment tomorrow and will send it with a return label for free. Just have to wait till next week to get it.

Oh well I ran into a little problem with the ota dongle. It was over heating and causing the Wally to freeze up and reboot. So I swapped the dongle on the hopper and put it on the Wally and vice a versa. The Wally ran great with no freezes or lockup’s. The hopper started having the same problems with freezes and reboots. When I checked the new dongle it was blazing hot in comparison with the older one I had on the hopper, so I deduced it was not working right. So I called a Mark at Dishdepot and he said that they do get some of these back because of the running too hot . They are made in Malaysia and he said this is what DISH has been sending them. So he will send me one from his newest shipment tomorrow and will send it with a return label for free. Just have to wait till next week to get it.
Mark is a super retailer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)