NEW software on Wally?

Oh well I ran into a little problem with the ota dongle. It was over heating and causing the Wally to freeze up and reboot. So I swapped the dongle on the hopper and put it on the Wally and vice a versa. The Wally ran great with no freezes or lockup’s. The hopper started having the same problems with freezes and reboots. When I checked the new dongle it was blazing hot in comparison with the older one I had on the hopper, so I deduced it was not working right. So I called a Mark at Dishdepot and he said that they do get some of these back because of the running too hot . They are made in Malaysia and he said this is what DISH has been sending them. So he will send me one from his newest shipment tomorrow and will send it with a return label for free. Just have to wait till next week to get it.

That is why I stopped using my dual tuner and went back to using my old single tuner. Not only does it run very very hot but it is also much less sensitive. My old single tuner receives 12 more channels than the new tuner. Some users don’t worry about the heat but most electronics don’t like heat.

Reactions: pattykay
That is why I stopped using my dual tuner and went back to using my old single tuner. Not only does it run very very hot but it is also much less sensitive. My old single tuner receives 12 more channels than the new tuner. Some users don’t worry about the heat but most electronics don’t like heat.
Maybe your Dual Tuner is defective

Reactions: MikeD-C05
My old single ota dongle was not recognized on the Wally when I tried today. So that won't work in my case.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I just hope the newer ota dongle will do a better job of reception than the old ota module in the 722k did. The old ota module was built for the early days of HD , so I hope that the new ota dongle will be more receptive and keep solid signals on all their ota channels. Their Phillips tv ota tuner picks them up with out fail , but the 722k ota module seems to suffer from fluctuating signal on one of their Uhf stations no matter where you put the antenna.
I wouldn't necessarily count on the dual-tuner OTA dongle having better reception than the 722k OTA module. I am just speaking from personal experience.

My old single ota dongle was not recognized on the Wally when I tried today. So that won't work in my case.
I never had any problem getting the Wally to recognize the single-tuner dongle. Unfortunately, I traded my old single-tuner dongle to get my first dual-tuner dongle, so I can't test to see if the single-tuner dongle still works.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Try this, if you haven't already. Make sure all OTA channels are removed, then shut down and unplug the previous tuner. Then unplug the Wally for a minute and restart. Then, while the Wally is on and you are watching a show, plug in the OTA tuner. My personal experience is that USB accessories seem to get recognized easier when added after a cold start and when the unit is already turned on. I find the same is true with USB accessories on my computers.

Try this, if you haven't already. Make sure all OTA channels are removed, then shut down and unplug the previous tuner. Then unplug the Wally for a minute and restart. Then, while the Wally is on and you are watching a show, plug in the OTA tuner. My personal experience is that USB accessories seem to get recognized easier when added after a cold start and when the unit is already turned on. I find the same is true with USB accessories on my computers.
Removing the old list of channels was not necessary in my case. Then again, I was switching from the old single-tuner to the new dual-tuner. I did not try switching back after that.

I wouldn't necessarily count on the dual-tuner OTA dongle having better reception than the 722k OTA module. I am just speaking from personal experience.

I never had any problem getting the Wally to recognize the single-tuner dongle. Unfortunately, I traded my old single-tuner dongle to get my first dual-tuner dongle, so I can't test to see if the single-tuner dongle still works.
You don’t think that the newest ota dongle wouldn’t be better than that over 10 year old ota module the 722k has? I mean we get newer processors and chip sets with the latest receivers , it would make sense to me that the newer dongle would be a little more up to date and maybe it would work better to deflect old multi path rejection that my parents seem to suffer from one of their vhf channels and sub channels. Back in 07 we were just barely getting started with hd . It had only been four years since some of the first ota channels in hd started . Shouldn’t of things improved by now? My parents Phillips hdtv has an ota tuner in it and they can get all the hd channels with out drop outs, like the 722k seems to suffer. So if TVs get better with reception issues shouldn’t DISH ota equipment improve too?

I'm not sending component to a TV, so I need to use both HDMI and component outputs.

Last edited:
Reactions: JSheridan
... What I did was to buy a new flat screen that had HDMI inputs and all was solved. ;)

It's not that simple. We use component from multiple receivers to feed a switch and a distribution amp to several TV's around the shop, etc.

Haven't tried that particular model HDMI to Component adapter but the several we tried all had sucky pictures.

You don’t think that the newest ota dongle wouldn’t be better than that over 10 year old ota module the 722k has? I mean we get newer processors and chip sets with the latest receivers , it would make sense to me that the newer dongle would be a little more up to date and maybe it would work better to deflect old multi path rejection that my parents seem to suffer from one of their vhf channels and sub channels. Back in 07 we were just barely getting started with hd . It had only been four years since some of the first ota channels in hd started . Shouldn’t of things improved by now? My parents Phillips hdtv has an ota tuner in it and they can get all the hd channels with out drop outs, like the 722k seems to suffer. So if TVs get better with reception issues shouldn’t DISH ota equipment improve too?

Don’t worry, ATSC 3 will fix it all!

:rollingeyes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)