XXI Century Explorer
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH

VPL-VW500ES

US pricing is not officially announced yet (should be announced later this month at CEDIA), but rumored to be around $10,000.

Resolution: 4096 x 2160 at 24 or 60 fps
Display system: High Frame Rate SXRD panel
Light Output: 1700 lm
Contrast ratio: 200,000:1 (Dynamic Contrast)
Upscaling: 2D and 3D upscaled to 4K
HDMI: 2.0
Zoom: Electric (Approx. 2.06 x)
Focus: Electric
Lens shift: Electric, V +85% / -80% H:+/-31%

Considering that the previous model was $25,000, this one is much more reasonably priced!
And this is from Sony. Which means we can expect to see 4K projectors for half that price from other manufacturers.
I can't wait to see what Epson and others come out with!

I think this will be the only new 4k projector this year.
Probably available here in the states Oct/Nov.

Well, CEDIA EXPO is just two weeks away. We'll know soon enough! ;)

Look for Mitsubishi, Epson, BenQ, and Panasonic announcements at CES.

S~

It's funny how NEXT years CES will be the one.
In this case you could be correct. Though CEDIA is usually where projectors are announced.

It is, but...with HDMI 2.0 not finalized in time and the push for UHD at CES, it will be the perfect timing.

S~

Since HDMI 2.0 was just finalized, I expect the next generation of 4k projectors to have HDMI 2.0. They had to have had the proposed spec well in advance and have had time to get them ready for testing in the new projectors.

I do not predict that I will have the $$ this year for a new projector, perhaps JVC will have one next year for me to upgrade to... I love my current JVC RS2, ancient but beautiful picture....

Well, the US model has been announced at CEDIA: Sony VPL-VW600ES
Unfortunately, the price is much higher than expected: $15,000, not $10,000.
JVC has some new pseudo-4K (e-shift) projectors. And no 4K projectors from Epson yet.
Looks like I'll have to wait another year for my next projector...

Well, the US model has been announced at CEDIA: Sony VPL-VW600ES
Unfortunately, the price is much higher than expected: $15,000, not $10,000.
JVC has some new pseudo-4K (e-shift) projectors. And no 4K projectors from Epson yet.
Looks like I'll have to wait another year for my next projector...

Yeah I saw that JVC punted another year and Sony did not come down in price. Oh well I will save a lot of money...

also announced by Sony:

While their current UHD PJ will not accept the signal from their UHD Media server, Starting in November Sony techs will be available to go to your home and do a conversion of the PJs so they can accept the UHD media server signal.

This is an "upgrade service". Pricing for this will be $2500 MSRP and will include the installation of the new HDMI board, a new lamp, and the Sony UHD Media server.

also announced by Sony: While their current UHD PJ will not accept the signal from their UHD Media server, Starting in November Sony techs will be available to go to your home and do a conversion of the PJs so they can accept the UHD media server signal. This is an "upgrade service". Pricing for this will be $2500 MSRP and will include the installation of the new HDMI board, a new lamp, and the Sony UHD Media server.

Gregg.
Have you calibrated a Sony 1000?
How does it stack up against other $20k and over pj?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)