New Sony HDTV and DirecTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sonydirectv

Original poster
Jan 25, 2009
ny
Questions for New Sony HDTV and DirecTV

I just got a KDL-42V4100 and DirecTV (CHOICE— Locals Included Package) with DirecTV Plus DVR. DirecTV guy setup the cable and I myself did the TV. I have a couple questions for you guys. 1) I have no idea where to find my Local Channels and not sure If I connected anything wrong. 2) I have a couple of HD channels and they look pretty bad on my HDTV. Is it because I have the DirecTV Plus DVR receiver and not a HD receiver? 3)The TV is standing at a slightly tilting angle. How can I adjust this? 4) The TV shakes easily with a push, is it suppose to be like this? 5) Anything I should know about this TV? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
setup the cable and I myself did the TV.

What type of cable did you use to connect between the TV and the DBS receiver?

1) I have no idea where to find my Local Channels

The locals will mirror their actual number between 2 - 70ish on the DBS receiver EPG.

2) I have a couple of HD channels and they look pretty bad on my HDTV. Is it because I have the DirecTV Plus DVR receiver and not a HD receiver?

What HD channels are they; DBS or your local OTA digital. Not sure what DBS HD you can get without a HD unit.

3)The TV is standing at a slightly tilting angle. How can I adjust this?

Use some shim or adjust the feet if they have any.

4) The TV shakes easily with a push, is it suppose to be like this?

NO, check and adjust the TV's base / stand.

1) Any local channels from DirecTV should be found by entering their channel number.
2) How have you connect the receiver to the TV?
3) Put something under the stand to level it.
4) No.
5) Most everything you need to know is probably in the TV's manual.
BTW, what moodel DirecTV receiver do you have.

Your best bet is wall mounted or in the worst case you can run a metal strap from the wall stud to the back of the tv to keep it from falling over. I only have panasonic's and before I wall=mounted them they sat level but if you have kids or dogs arouind I would strap it down

I find it hard to believe that you purchased this TV then married it to any DTV box that isn't HR20+. If you are using it for SD programming, then the picture is just going to blow regardless of your settings. I guess the max you could get out of that is component cables at 480i resolution. HD TV's just look worse with this type of configuration than most older 4/3 boxes. Since I believe you have a HR20+, use nothing less than a component cable connection (red/blue/green + audio L/R) & remove all the resolutions under 720P using: Menu>Setup>System>HDTV>TV Resolutions & only check 1080P(if it works) 1080i & 720P; leave the others unchecked. Go back a step & select TV ration & select Widescreen 16:9. That should take care of your picture. Your locals should be right where they normally are for your zipcode. The newer boxes don't have OTA reception so you'll need to subscribe to DTV locals or purchase the AIM-21 attachment to receive OTA locals (Unless you have the HR20 which still had OTA feeds).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts