New subscriber; networking, DVR, and iOS app questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

joelwnelson

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
Hazelwood, Missouri
Just switched to DirecTV and got my new service activated today. I was set up with a HR24 as the main receiver and a H25 on the second TV, both with 2.0.24 firmware. I have whole home DVR service activated (advanced receiver service).

Here are my questions:
I connected an Ethernet cable, but the receiver reports no Internet connection and a 169.x.x.x IP address (self-assigned). What do I need to do to get the receiver on the network?

Also, I installed the new iPhone app that can stream some channels over my wireless network. But, when I use the app, it says it can't find the receiver on the network. This makes sense considering the 169.x.x.x IP but what should I do to fix it?

Probably related to this as well, all remote DVR scheduling attempts through the DirecTV website have failed.

Noticed the HR24 only has 2 tuners. I was hoping for the HR34, especially coming from the Dish Hopper/Joey system with 3 tuners, but it's not a huge deal.

Just switched to DirecTV and got my new service activated today. I was set up with a HR24 as the main receiver and a H25 on the second TV, both with 2.0.24 firmware. I have whole home DVR service activated (advanced receiver service).

Here are my questions:
I connected an Ethernet cable, but the receiver reports no Internet connection and a 169.x.x.x IP address (self-assigned). What do I need to do to get the receiver on the network?

Also, I installed the new iPhone app that can stream some channels over my wireless network. But, when I use the app, it says it can't find the receiver on the network. This makes sense considering the 169.x.x.x IP but what should I do to fix it?

Probably related to this as well, all remote DVR scheduling attempts through the DirecTV website have failed.

Noticed the HR24 only has 2 tuners. I was hoping for the HR34, especially coming from the Dish Hopper/Joey system with 3 tuners, but it's not a huge deal.
I can't help with the IP issue, but ... why didn't you order a HR34 if thats what you needed ?

Here are my questions:

Aren't you already connected via DECA? Connecting an ethernet cable disables the DECA connection.

I don't have a DECA. I did find a SWM ODU power inserter behind the receiver, not plugged in. Plugged it in and the ethernet light on the back of the receiver came on and it got an IP address via the ethernet port. As long as this doesn't mess something else up, it seems like a start...

That's pretty bad that the installer didn't plug in the power inserter! You do have DECA, it's built into the HR24, but you have to have the ethernet connection with it. The older dvrs use a separate DECA box and the ethernet connects through them. That's where you don't connect the ethernet to the dvr directly. I missed that you have the HR24 model.

The problem now is that after plugging in the ethernet cable and power inserter, I've lost whole home DVR functionality -- the HR25 now can't record or access the DVR because it says it is not connected to the network. Any ideas? With the ethernet and power inserter unplugged, I can confirm I did have access to the DVR from my second TV. Odd.

I'm out of ideas! Maybe one of the installers will chime in.

Seems connecting ethernet disconnects the internal coaxial network. Wonder if this is where the Cinema Connector Kit comes in. Rather have a wired one but it looks like the only one available for self install is wifi.

Hello joelwnelson,

Yes the CCK is wireless but it is also a wired device. IOW the WCCK goes both ways. I would suggest you power down everything. First plug in the PI. Wait 2 or so minutes and then plug in the HR24. Wait a few minutes more and then plug in the H25 (Not HR25). This should reset your networked DTV units. You can check this out by pressing the Menu button on the remote. Go to Setting & Help. Go to Settings. Press Select. Go to Network Setup. Test Connection. Press Select. Go to More System Info. Press Select. Go down until you reach the Network section. Check the information. It should have information about Coax and Internet (Connected or not) as well as the IP Address etc. If everything is OK then you can check on Whole-Home by going back to Network Setup and then down to Whole-Home. Press Select. Go to Status to find out if it sees the H25. If not then check the H25. Good luck and if this doesn't work then ask for more assistance.

Completed these steps. I ended up having to unplug the ethernet to get the two receivers to talk to each other again and now I can record from the H25 and access the DVR contents there. I ordered the Cinema Connection Kit and that should take care of getting online. I don't do On Demand content so all I really want it for is being able to watch on my mobile devices.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts