New suspending service policy

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jrpeh

Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
I would like to hear what your experience is with being able to suspend accounts with DirecTv. I have a vacation home that I understood I could suspend the service for when we were not there as many times as we wanted as long as it wasn't for more than a certain number of months -- was 9 months and I think now 6 months. However, lately I have been told that we can only suspend an account twice in a year. On the other hand a friend, who was inquiring about setting up a new account, was told that he could suspend his account as many times as he would like. What are you hearing? What are you able to do?
Thanks,
Pete

When mine was suspended, it was a total of nine months each year. So if you suspended it for 3, then used it one and wanted to suspend it again, you only had 6mo's left.

Much better than Dish's. They wont let you suspend while in contract which is completely stupid.

I suspend service at will at my secondary home in the mountains. I'm there for four or five days every six weeks or so. I just have it turned on and off every time I'm up there.

The automated voice says you can only do it once every twelve months. I just ignore it and get through to a CSR and they turn it on and off every time.

The policy changed about a month ago, you can only suspend for six months once a year, after Dtv updates the computer system CSR's will no longer be able to suspend for longer or more often than policy permits.

The policy is that you can suspend you account twice a year and the suspend would have to be between 30 days and 6 months.

Just take your receivers with you when you travel (by car.) Airport security will probably make it easier to do the several account thing.

Joe

Couple questions as I'm confused...

I can't find the "new" policy anywhere on their website. Anyone able to find the policy in writing?

I have the bigger dish and a MPEG4 non-dvr receiver at the secondary home. Will the HR20-700 from my primary home function as a dvr at the secondary home that does NOT have dvr service on the account?

Does changing the zip code in the receiver setup change the locals you receive? If not, what is the purpose for the zip code? Is there a way to switch the HD locals depending on the location?

Couple questions as I'm confused...

I can't find the "new" policy anywhere on their website. Anyone able to find the policy in writing?
That’s because its not there, I cant find it there myself. It's not so much new as it's just refined. It is however two suspensions a year.

I have the bigger dish and a MPEG4 non-dvr receiver at the secondary home. Will the HR20-700 from my primary home function as a dvr at the secondary home that does NOT have dvr service on the account?
No, you would need to activate the receiver on that account, activate DVR services, If im reading you right you have 2 accounts? so you would need to pull that receiver off your home account and add it to the other account every time you went up there, not that Dtv would do that. If you want the DVR up there you'll need to buy one, Dvt at one point had a summer home program but it was abused so much that they have pulled it.

Does changing the zip code in the receiver setup change the locals you receive? If not, what is the purpose for the zip code? Is there a way to switch the HD locals depending on the location?
It wont change the locals you would need to change your address on your account for that but its used to get the right time zone for your guide.

Few notes,
Before when you suspended a account the service commitment kept rolling, now it stops and starts with the services, If you have a balance of say 5 bucks on the account and suspend for six months, when you go to turn on the account you will find you're in collections for 5 dollars!(plus late fee's)So make sure you pay off what you owe to avoid a bad situation.

Last edited:
"No, you would need to activate the receiver on that account, activate DVR services, If im reading you right you have 2 accounts? so you would need to pull that receiver off your home account and add it to the other account every time you went up there, not that Dtv would do that. If you want the DVR up there you'll need to buy one, Dvt at one point had a summer home program but it was abused so much that they have pulled it."

Thanks. But, I'm still a little confused. Probably because I don't fully understand what activating an account versus activating a receiver means.

I constantly see people saying, "just take your receiver with you". I don't want to buy two DVR's since I won't ever be using two DVR's at the same time. Can I just add DVR service to the account at the secondary home (yes, I have two accounts..one at each place) and use the HR20-700 in both places?

Unless you suspend your service at your house, you can just take the HD-DVR to the mountains and you do not need to activate your secondary account or add DVR service to it

Because that receiver is not tied to that account in the computer you cant just activate DVR services and have it work, also however small the risk is people that get caught using one account for two houses are prosecuted depending on the situation and are unable to get Dtv services ever again.

Because that receiver is not tied to that account in the computer you cant just activate DVR services and have it work, also however small the risk is people that get caught using one account for two houses are prosecuted depending on the situation and are unable to get Dtv services ever again.

As far as D* is concerned, what’s the difference between camping in a cabin or an RV?

"No, you would need to activate the receiver on that account, activate DVR services, If im reading you right you have 2 accounts? so you would need to pull that receiver off your home account and add it to the other account every time you went up there, not that Dtv would do that. If you want the DVR up there you'll need to buy one, Dvt at one point had a summer home program but it was abused so much that they have pulled it."

Thanks. But, I'm still a little confused. Probably because I don't fully understand what activating an account versus activating a receiver means.

I constantly see people saying, "just take your receiver with you". I don't want to buy two DVR's since I won't ever be using two DVR's at the same time. Can I just add DVR service to the account at the secondary home (yes, I have two accounts..one at each place) and use the HR20-700 in both places?

To answer your question... you CAN take your hr20 with you to the new place... withOUT having to add it to your secondary account. The receiver is already activated at your primary address, and they wouldn't be able to activate it on another account anyways. The only problem with doing this is you won't be able to record two programs at the same time since I'm assuming you only have a single cable running to the room(s). Other than that, just unplug it, take it with ya, plug 'er in and yer ready to roll!!

Interesting. I don't see how using the dvr at two different locations in any manner violates anything Direc should be concerned about. I will activate the account at the secondary home. Won't even bother to suspend the account at the primary home so I'll be paying for two services while receiving only one. I paid good money to get the dvr and at all times will be paying a lease fee for it. What's the problem?

If anyone could point out a written policy from Direc whereby they could enforce not using the receiver in two locations, at different times, I'd really appreciate reviewing it.

To answer your question... you CAN take your hr20 with you to the new place... withOUT having to add it to your secondary account. The receiver is already activated at your primary address, and they wouldn't be able to activate it on another account anyways. The only problem with doing this is you won't be able to record two programs at the same time since I'm assuming you only have a single cable running to the room(s). Other than that, just unplug it, take it with ya, plug 'er in and yer ready to roll!!
Actually, if you own both accounts it can be transferred I know this to be a fact not a opinion. I can drive 120 on the freeway if I so choose, however its not legal so I don’t. Point blank two homes two accounts or risk it, its up to you.

Last edited:
Interesting. I don't see how using the dvr at two different locations in any manner violates anything Direc should be concerned about. I will activate the account at the secondary home. Won't even bother to suspend the account at the primary home so I'll be paying for two services while receiving only one. I paid good money to get the dvr and at all times will be paying a lease fee for it. What's the problem?

If anyone could point out a written policy from Direc whereby they could enforce not using the receiver in two locations, at different times, I'd really appreciate reviewing it.

That’s simple, your account and receivers on it are only legitimate for one residence or people would just buy 6 receivers and have 3 spread out at friends houses. Dtv dose catch a good number of people doing this, it is a federal felony and they do prosecute everyone they can. Its a bit different if you own both homes but I know they will peruse people using one account for more than one home as well.

Lets be real, you have two homes and cant afford to drop 99 bucks for a DVR? If you want the service then do it the right way and buy a DVR for that home then just suspend the services when your not there.

Well, not that I have to explain...but I'm not made of money. The second home will some day be a retirement home and purchased now while I have an income to try to pay for it. I'm already paying two electric bills, two insurance bills, two power bills, two property tax bills, etc. on one income and would prefer not to pay for two dvr's when I would rarely use one of them and never two at the same time. That said, I guess I'll have to review some of the "what I paid for the dvr threads" since I was unaware I could get a second HR20 for $99. I was under the impression it would cost three times that much.

A HR20 will cost more but if your not there often why not just use a standard? Hell, I do understand not wanting to spend more cash if you don’t have to but to do it legally you do need to however, when you suspend services you’re not paying anything until you reinstate them and there is no charge to suspend or for the time the account was suspended.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)