New Timer did not DVR in HD

CEV

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
New Dish user here. I've scheduled some Timers. One last night was Fear the Walking Dead. I go to watch it from the DVR listing, and it does not show in HD. If I go to that channel in live TV, it is HD. What's up with this? I did not see anything in the Timer options to not record in HD. This is premiere week for a lot of the shows, and I want to be sure they record in HD.
Thanks

New Dish user here. I've scheduled some Timers. One last night was Fear the Walking Dead. I go to watch it from the DVR listing, and it does not show in HD. If I go to that channel in live TV, it is HD. What's up with this? I did not see anything in the Timer options to not record in HD. This is premiere week for a lot of the shows, and I want to be sure they record in HD.
Thanks
Do you have FTWD on a Seek timer? You can look that up in your timers. If so your issue can happen because your receiver will pick one channel (SD or HD) on its own. To correct that, delete that timer and then start a new one using the guide and the HD channel.

Do you have FTWD on a Seek timer? You can look that up in your timers. If so your issue can happen because your receiver will pick one channel (SD or HD) on its own. To correct that, delete that timer and then start a new one using the guide and the HD channel.
They are not on Seek.

They are not on Seek.
Did you have storms last night? If you go to that HD channel do you get an HD picture? The reason I ask about storms is that the receiver will default to the SD channel if there is no signal on the HD channel at the time of record start.

Did you have storms last night? If you go to that HD channel do you get an HD picture? The reason I ask about storms is that the receiver will default to the SD channel if there is no signal on the HD channel at the time of record start.
No storms. The show was still on, like 30 minutes in when I finally started it from the DVR. The DVR was not showing HD, so I stopped that and went to the live TV channel to check, and that was in HD.

No storms. The show was still on, like 30 minutes in when I finally started it from the DVR. The DVR was not showing HD, so I stopped that and went to the live TV channel to check, and that was in HD.
You are still in your 72 hour window? I seem to remember that you were very recently installed.

Not the same show, but last night watched a couple of shows that were DVR'd Monday night. They were in HD. Thanks

Still trying to figure out why the Timers are not doing what I tell them to, but will give it a few more days and save that for another post.

Thanks for the clarification.

Not the same show, but last night watched a couple of shows that were DVR'd Monday night. They were in HD. Thanks

Still trying to figure out why the Timers are not doing what I tell them to, but will give it a few more days and save that for another post.

Thanks for the clarification.

Take a look at the default settings for your DVR and make sure that they’re set the way you want them

Take a look at the default settings for your DVR and make sure that they’re set the way you want them

I've checked those several times. For example, one show I have setup to DVR New and Reruns, have the Keep setting to 3 because I only want it to keep 3 episodes at any given time. I also do not want it to keep recording and deleting the oldest one. I just want it to record 3 episodes and stop recording until I delete one, and then it would record another one. For the Protect setting, I have tried both Protect and don't protect. But now there are over 10 episodes, and it continues to record. Makes no sense. In the dropdown for Record there is also an option for Weekly, but not sure what that would affect.

Reactions: Tampa8
I've checked those several times. For example, one show I have setup to DVR New and Reruns, have the Keep setting to 3 because I only want it to keep 3 episodes at any given time. I also do not want it to keep recording and deleting the oldest one. I just want it to record 3 episodes and stop recording until I delete one, and then it would record another one. For the Protect setting, I have tried both Protect and don't protect. But now there are over 10 episodes, and it continues to record. Makes no sense. In the dropdown for Record there is also an option for Weekly, but not sure what that would affect.

I had a couple Timers which behaved this way. They were amongst the ones I setup initially (within the 72-hour initial period). I could not get them to behave the way I wanted them to, so I eventually deleted and recreated the timers, and now they work as expected.

Reactions: pattykay and CEV
Keep and Protect are only applied when your DVR gets full. They do not stop recordings. The only way to do what you want is to delete the timer, then reset when ready to load some more, OR, limit the frequency of recordings,ie, week ends, or particular day, etc. This understanding issue comes up every now and then, going back to here...
Protect recordings and limiting frequency

Reactions: CEV
I had a couple Timers which behaved this way. They were amongst the ones I setup initially (within the 72-hour initial period). I could not get them to behave the way I wanted them to, so I eventually deleted and recreated the timers, and now they work as expected.

That was actually going to be the next thing I tried. Because yes, these were set up within the initial 72 hours.

Keep and Protect are only applied when your DVR gets full. They do not stop recordings. The only way to do what you want is to delete the timer, then reset when ready to load some more, OR, limit the frequency of recordings,ie, week ends, or particular day, etc. This understanding issue comes up every now and then, going back to here...
Protect recordings and limiting frequency

So it sounds like what I want to do is technically possible, since the Tivo does it. It's just that Dish does not allow this feature. Maybe some day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)