New to C band

4311wade

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 25, 2021
Charleston West Virginia
Team,
I'm refurbishing my first C band dish. And after buying some essentials I realized I don’t know how many conductors of wire I need to run between my dish mover and actuator arm. I bought my supplies from Ricks satellite. the pr 1200 positioner and 24 inch arm.
any information will help!
Thanks in advance

the usual recommendation is 12- or 14-gauge landscape cable for the motor (but any 2-conductor wire that is large enough and can withstand moisture would be ok). For the sensor, the best option is shielded, 2- or 4-wire 18 gauge (security systems use such cable. The shield should be grounded at the positioner end and left unconnected at the actuator end. It will help avoid mis-counts. Unshielded wire such as Cat-5 would work but might introduce hard-to-diagnose miscounts from electromagnetic interferences.

the usual recommendation is 12- or 14-gauge landscape cable for the motor (but any 2-conductor wire that is large enough and can withstand moisture would be ok). For the sensor, the best option is shielded, 2- or 4-wire 18 gauge (security systems use such cable. The shield should be grounded at the positioner end and left unconnected at the actuator end. It will help avoid mis-counts. Unshielded wire such as Cat-5 would work but might introduce hard-to-diagnose miscounts from electromagnetic interferences.
great!
thanks for the info. I ordered the power cable from Ricks. I will get the sensor wire localy.

Reactions: FTA4PA and Brct203
Team,
I'm refurbishing my first C band dish. And after buying some essentials I realized I don’t know how many conductors of wire I need to run between my dish mover and actuator arm. I bought my supplies from Ricks satellite. the pr 1200 positioner and 24 inch arm.
any information will help!
Thanks in advance
Post some pictures of your Refurb job... what kind of line of sight do you have?

Post some pictures of your Refurb job... what kind of line of sight do you have?
Hello, I need advise!
im slowly making ground on my c band dish.
after much debate and disappointment I decided to alter my original polar mount design. one of the attachment points were beyond repair. Now I need advice on what material to use on the two pivot points. I tried to find Teflon bushings/washers for it but could only find Nylon. Would brass be better? As far as line of site I reside in the mountains of West Virginia but getting signal from 58 west to125 west on KU band. Also my main support tube has a thin spot in it that will need repaired. I still need to remove the mount base from the pole and I’m considering changing the button hook mount to four individual bars to support the feed horn base.

Attachments

• 402B9E95-4543-42B0-B3E3-B72BF8D666D3.jpeg
    402B9E95-4543-42B0-B3E3-B72BF8D666D3.jpeg
    210.9 KB · Views: 130
  • 3919907A-53EB-4AA3-BF85-8F471F0542D0.jpeg
    3919907A-53EB-4AA3-BF85-8F471F0542D0.jpeg
    198.8 KB · Views: 125
  • 542ED0D2-DE02-483F-95BB-A57AA6FB299A.jpeg
    542ED0D2-DE02-483F-95BB-A57AA6FB299A.jpeg
    150.4 KB · Views: 122
  • 5D82D2A9-9F8D-4CBC-9805-AE5AED9BACF4.jpeg
    5D82D2A9-9F8D-4CBC-9805-AE5AED9BACF4.jpeg
    208 KB · Views: 133
Hello, I need advise!
after much debate and disappointment I decided to alter my original polar mount design. one of the attachment points were beyond repair. Now I need advice on what material to use on the two pivot points. I tried to find Teflon bushings/washers for it but could only find Nylon. Would brass be better? As far as line of site I reside in the mountains of West Virginia but getting signal from 58 west to125 west on KU band. Also my main support tube has a thin spot in it that will need repaired. I still need to remove the mount base from the pole and I’m considering changing the button hook mount to four individual bars to support the feed horn base.
Looks nice so far...

Reactions: 4311wade
Hello, I need advise!
'Scuse the rust.

Attachments

• 20210912_084208.jpg
    20210912_084208.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 116
Reactions: 4311wade

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts