new to charter

gpollock87

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
i've never had cable and on june 1st i will. i ordered the triple play gold package. i'm sure the internet will be better since i live in a rural area at the moment and have the highest speed in my area which is 3 mbps. i ordered dvrs for 4 rooms. how is the tv equipment and phone quality?

I have had Charter for the past year after having satellite for 19 years. In my area they have the best internet available at 60/4 and I get over 200 HD channels with the gold package. This includes over 20 that are not available on Dish or Direct and the picture quality looks as good as Direct. Their DVRs are rather antiquated with only two tuners and no whole house connectivity (If you record it in the bedroom, you have to watch it in the bedroom). We got a 6 tuner Tivo with 450 hour HD storage and three Tivo Minis. That system works great. The upfront cost was about $750, but the $40/month first year and $20/month second year discounts from Charter will pay for it in less than two years. After that the total monthly cost for the Tivo system is $17 compared to $48 for four Charter DVRs.

Reactions: gpollock87
I have had Charter for the past year after having satellite for 19 years. In my area they have the best internet available at 60/4 and I get over 200 HD channels with the gold package. This includes over 20 that are not available on Dish or Direct and the picture quality looks as good as Direct. Their DVRs are rather antiquated with only two tuners and no whole house connectivity (If you record it in the bedroom, you have to watch it in the bedroom). We got a 6 tuner Tivo with 450 hour HD storage and three Tivo Minis. That system works great. The upfront cost was about $750, but the $40/month first year and $20/month second year discounts from Charter will pay for it in less than two years. After that the total monthly cost for the Tivo system is $17 compared to $48 for four Charter DVRs.
thank you!

I feel like the phone part is way too much even if it is just $10 more, because you could get ooma for less than $4 a month. I was offered the double play internet/tv for $79 for first year. But I took the internet + streaming TV package instead. The price is about the same, but it does not increase for 2nd or 3rd year... and no contract and no equipment fee to pay.

Listen to caam1. You are going to think you've traveled back in time to the 1970's when you fire up those Charter DVRs. So unless you're just into nostalgia (8-track, kinetiscopes, turntables, telegraphs, steam engines, those bicycles with the giant wheel in front, handlebar mustaches), ditch the Charter DVRs and get a Tivo and a couple of Minis.

And listen to Need about Ooma if you want to save money on phone.

Was looking into Ooma myself, for when my triple play deal ends in August. Just not sure yet.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

I've got phone and internet. Both have been great and in about 2 years has only been down for a very short length of time due to major storms. I'm paying $73 @ month. Internet alone would be $69 @ month so having phone is a no brainer.

Ed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts