New to Direct TV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

velore

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2007
Hi everyone, ive been reading these threads for a few months now and been waiting for the football season to get closer so i can sign up for direct tv and get NFL ticket. Ive heard about the great deal they usually give every year before the NFL season so i figured i would wait. Now that its getting closer, I was just wondering if anyone knows if there is anything specific i should make sure i mention or ask for. I will be getting HD and an HD DVR, and basically want all the channels. Do i need a specific dish, or OTA antenna. Any help on what to expect or what i should ask for would be great. Thanks!

Velore

:welcome

Ask for this.

• Dish that can handle all satellites and HD which is the Slimline 5 LNB
  • HR20 HD DVR
  • OTA antenna done by Directv ONLY if you are close to the towers. Check antennaweb.org to find out how close you are. If you are further than 10 miles, you might want to do more research and put up your own antenna that matches your needs. Directv installers are not very good at OTA installation and the ones they include are considered urban and dont have a good range and/or not placed in an ideal spot.
  • I dont know how many rooms you are getting done but get more lines and multiswitch in case you do decide to do more rooms. So if you are going to do 2 rooms but not necessarily a DVR in both, its a better idea to get 2 lines in room to start with then try to add another later. Also, the OTA needs a line of its own since you cant couple the lines anymore with the 5 LNB dishes. So if you want OTA and Directv in a room, you need 3 lines.
Always ask for more from Directv that you can. There are 2 spots that you get lots of stuff from them. When they want to get you as a customer and when you've been with them a long time and they want to retain you. 1-3 year folks have a harder time getting more discounts. So take advantage of a new customer and get hardware and programming deals now.

Welcome to Directv and Satelliteguys.

Hi everyone, ive been reading these threads for a few months now and been waiting for the football season to get closer so i can sign up for direct tv and get NFL ticket. Ive heard about the great deal they usually give every year before the NFL season so i figured i would wait. Now that its getting closer, I was just wondering if anyone knows if there is anything specific i should make sure i mention or ask for. I will be getting HD and an HD DVR, and basically want all the channels. Do i need a specific dish, or OTA antenna. Any help on what to expect or what i should ask for would be great. Thanks!

Velore

Last year the NFL package started the 1 week of August.
I would Definatly wait, it's well worth it.
You asked how it works, it's the same every year , mine worked like this, if I remember correctly.
I paid for the ST and SF, I had to pay for SF the first year.
They gave me basically the "Priemier" package + the HD package for 3 months.

Also, as for what to ask them for rec. wise, do as Brewer said :up

Welcome to the site :)

Jimbo

thanks for the input guys. just have few more things. i live in an apartment and will need to pole mount the dish in a cement bucket, since im not allowed to attach it to my balcony. will i need to have the pole and bucket ready for when they come? and ive read elsewhere that the pole needs to be a 2" diameter, is this correct? thanks.

thanks for the input guys. just have few more things. i live in an apartment and will need to pole mount the dish in a cement bucket, since im not allowed to attach it to my balcony. will i need to have the pole and bucket ready for when they come? and ive read elsewhere that the pole needs to be a 2" diameter, is this correct? thanks.

2" is correct, if you cannot find it, get as close as possible and they will work with it to secure it. Mine is 1"7/8 th .

Some say that the 5 lnb is too heavy to do with the bucket routine, I have never tried, so I won't say it cannot be done. I do know you will need to support it better than the old dishes.

I would try using a piece of plywood underneth the bucket and use theplywood to have something to support the monopoles with, that might do the trick, this way you don't need to drill into the balcony. I would be creative and see how it goes. :)

Jimbo

Is D* still using two coaxial cables coming off the dish for each DVR? I have E*( Not For Long) and only one cable and a splitter are require for the 622. What is the deal?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts