New to DirecTV .... just a couple things.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

0pusX

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 7, 2008
St. Joseph, MI
I have the HD DVR in my Living room and a HD receiver in our master bedroom.

Can you only record one program at a time?

Does Video on Demand cost anything? (I mean the TV shows not PPV movies)

So far my impression.....

Dish Network DVR seems to be a lot easier to use. Of course in a few weeks this DVR will probably be just as easy to use.

DirecTV channel line up is AMAZING!!! Didnt realize just how much I was missing out on.

The DirecTV equipment is so small compared to my Dish equip.

So far, not even 24hr into our switch I am loving my decision!!

Anything I should know as far as DVR or other tips?

You should be able to record 2 at a time and watch another recorded program or record one and watch another one live. Tv shows on VOD are free although there may be some exceptions. I like 30 second skip as a feature. You need to do a keyword search for "30skip", it won't find anything but instead of FFing 30 seconds it will jump 30 seconds. If there is any way you could connect your 2 units with cat-5 cable you could have MRV.

You can record two programs at once, but you won't be able to watch live tv on any other channel.

VOD itself is free. Some of the content must be paid for and some is free. You need an internet connection to access it.

the installer hooked something up to my dsl modem for internet so i should be all set. Great!!

what is MRV??

Multi-room viewing. You could watch programs in the bedroom that have been recorded in the living room. You could watch the same show on both even with different starting times or watch two different ones. It costs $3 per month to use it.

I have that ability now but I didnt see him use any CAT-5 cable from one receiver to the other. Could he have done it another way?

Also one more question.

With Dish my receiver would automatically shut off after inactivity for 4 hours and would also turn off every night at 3am. Can I do that with these also?

Also one more question.

With Dish my receiver would automatically shut off after inactivity for 4 hours and would also turn off every night at 3am. Can I do that with these also?

Really, there's NO reason to actually turn them off, they keep running, the front panel just goes out.

As for the inactivity, what determines in activity on a TV set, if you have a signal you have a picture, the unit would/should not turn off on it's own, how does it know your not watching it ?

Dish use the lack of remote usage as the indicator for inactivity. ie no button presses for three hours a message window pop-up stating that it turns itself of shortly due to inactivity, you have the option of pressing cancel.

You should be able to set a sleep timer on your tv, once it turns off the D* box should go into standby mode (I think this is only true with a HDMI connection; someone please correct me if I'm mistaken)

OpusX,
I'm not sure you got your original question answered. First, did you sign up for "Whole Home DVR"? If so, you should be able to record up to 2 programs on the DVR and watch another channel or a recorded program on the receiver. When you are recording 2 shows at the same time on the DVR receiver you have to watch one of them or watch a pre-recorded program. You only have 2 tuners in the DVR. Also, if you signed up for Whole Home DVR your installer should have connected your internet connection into a separate box (DECA or Direct Cinema) and attached that to a coax cable going to your splitter. With the Whole Home setup all the communication (I believe it is token ring versus Ethernet) is handled over the coax cable. (That is why all the unused ports on the splitter are terminated with 75 ohm resistors.) So, you won't see any CAT5 wiring other than into the separate box mentioned. This whole setup is so new even the technical support people that a customer can access are confused with the configuration. My installer had to call a special technical support line for installers to get the Whole Home thing to work correctly. That is where I got my insight as to what is really going on with this function. I hope this helps without adding confusion.

I cannot discuss anything about Video on Demand. I missed out on that feature because the lady who created the original order left the Home Cinema box off the original order and they want $75 ($25 for the box and $49 for installation) to do it after the installer leaves your home. I would buy a powered DECA box today but that is almost $50 after you get both the DECA and the power supply I am waiting for the Home Cinema box (which has its own power connector) to become available on a website and just order that box. I already have the second coax cable going back to the splitter because that is what the DirecTV technical support personnel told me I needed for the original installation.
Bob

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)