New to DISH and have a question about hooking up a DVD recorder to TV2

maryinredding

Original poster
Oct 7, 2012
Redding, CA
Hello:
We have been loyal customers to Charter Cable for the last 26 years. But, when their prices started going out of this world we decided to make the big step up to DISH. It has been great. We have only had it for a couple of weeks but we are really happy with it.
When we had cable we were able to set up hard drive recorders and record shows that were on regular channels (2-80). We had a DVR but some of shows I like are all on at the same time so the extra recorder made it really nice. Now, the big question. How (if possible) can I get the TV2 tv hooked up to the DVD recorder? I have read all kinds of scenarios and I have tried some of the tips the others have given but it does not let the tv channel come through. My DVD recorder is an older Philips and it does have a S Video plug on it but my newer tv does not. The tv has HDMI slots but my recorder does not. So, how do I effectively hook the two together so I can record to the DVD recorder? Is this even possible? I tried changing the channel on the recorder but still nothing comes through. The main DVR in the livingroom is the 722 and the tv in the back bedroom is TV2. We have another receiver 222 in the master bedroom and another tv coming off of that in the office. The tv I would like to record on is the tv in the back bedroom. We just purchased that one about two weeks ago, just before we had the DISH installed. I would appreciate any help you can give me and remember I am very new at all this hooking up stuff so please explain completely what I must do. Thanks you all so much.

Welcome to the best Sat site on the net. I think one solution to your problem would be to just hook up an external hard drive to the 722 ( 2 TB max size and it the drive must have its own power supple) and set your primary recording tuner to TV2. You can't record direct to the external hard drive but you can move recordings to the external drive for backing up and long storage. The 722 has two tuners so you can record two things at once and even watch two recorded shows on the TVs even from the external drive. Also the 722 has a 500 GB drive so it can store a fair amount to begin with.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Hello:
We have been loyal customers to Charter Cable for the last 26 years. But, when their prices started going out of this world we decided to make the big step up to DISH. It has been great. We have only had it for a couple of weeks but we are really happy with it.
When we had cable we were able to set up hard drive recorders and record shows that were on regular channels (2-80). We had a DVR but some of shows I like are all on at the same time so the extra recorder made it really nice. Now, the big question. How (if possible) can I get the TV2 tv hooked up to the DVD recorder? I have read all kinds of scenarios and I have tried some of the tips the others have given but it does not let the tv channel come through. My DVD recorder is an older Philips and it does have a S Video plug on it but my newer tv does not. The tv has HDMI slots but my recorder does not. So, how do I effectively hook the two together so I can record to the DVD recorder? Is this even possible? I tried changing the channel on the recorder but still nothing comes through. The main DVR in the livingroom is the 722 and the tv in the back bedroom is TV2. We have another receiver 222 in the master bedroom and another tv coming off of that in the office. The tv I would like to record on is the tv in the back bedroom. We just purchased that one about two weeks ago, just before we had the DISH installed. I would appreciate any help you can give me and remember I am very new at all this hooking up stuff so please explain completely what I must do. Thanks you all so much.

We may be missing some info here. Does the 722 connect to a second tv in another room and if so, what connection? What connections did you use to connect the dvd recorder to the tv?

Are you recording shows for time shifting or long term storage? If it is just time shifting you can record 2 shows at once on the 722. If you have an antenna you can hook that up and record three shows. If you are recording for archival purposes go the external HD route. Just remeber if you leave dish you cant access recordings on the hard drive.
If you want to create archival DVDs you should be able to connect the composite (red yellow and white) from the 722 to the dvd player and record what ever you are watching on the 722. Wont be HD but i dont think that is something that can be done easily if at all

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROID RAZR Maxx using SatelliteGuys

If you want the DVD recorder to be able to control TV2, you need a special remote control adapter.

If you just want to record what is showing on TV2, you can tune to the TV2 channel and record that way. This isn't as bad as it sounds as you can record the shows to the hard drive and then play them back on TV2.

If you were willing to hook the DVD recorder up to TV1, you could do everything like you used to or possibly even use the DVR to drive the DVD recorder using its IR blaster feature.

After a while, watching home brew DVDs becomes a little obnoxious as the video quality isn't all that great compared to HD.

What you need to do is probably put your dvd recorder in the same location as your receiver be it 722/222. On the back of either receiver there will be composite outputs for tv2 (yellow,red,white). If all you want to do is record what is playing on tv2, use those outputs to the inputs on the dvd recorder. You'll then have to put tv2 on whatever channel you want to record, and press the record button on your dvd recorder. You could use this setup on either one of your receivers, just keep in mind that if someone is watching one of the tv2's in the other rooms, and changes the channel, whatever your recording is going to change as well.

You should've had the Hopper system installed if you like to record that many shows at once. Not sure if the Hopper price fit into your budget though.

What model Philips is your DVD recorder? The simpliest solution if you want to record TV2 content in your back bedroom is to connect the TV2 coax that is currently connected to your tv in the bedroom and connect it instead to the ANT/CABLE IN on the DVD recorder, and connect another coax from the TV OUT connection on the DVD recorder to the TV. This way the coax signal will pass-thru to the TV even when the DVD recorder is off. Then do a antenna/cable channel scan on the DVD recorder to "find" the channel that the TV2 output is transmitting on (which will be the same channel that the TV is tuned to). Once that is complete, you should be able to tune the DVD recorder to the TV2 output channel (for argument's sake, let's say it's cable channel 72). In order to record something on a particular channel via a timer, there is no IR blaster functionality what will control the DVD recorder from the living room to the bedroom...instead, you can set up an "Auto-tune" timer on the 722 for TV2, and a corresponding timer on the DVD recorder for channel 72 for the same timeframe.

Hello:
We have been loyal customers to Charter Cable for the last 26 years.

Oh the humanity....... :)
I have a Panasonic DVD recorder, not used as much for TV recording anymore. But I would connect it as Dare2be suggested.

Hello:

My DVD recorder is hooked-up:

VIP722 s-video out > s-video in DVD RECORDER component video out > component video in TV

Select the source s-video in DVD recorder menu. Also set DVD recorder to 480 progressive for best picture

If you're trying to record more than two programs at the same time you'll want to connect your DVD recorder to your 222 receiver. You can then record two shows on the 722 and another one on the 222.

Or you can purchase a OTA add-on module which will add two terrestrial tuners to your 722 receiver. That will allow you to record up to for programs at the same time on the 722 (of course two of the programs you're recording must be OTA). This has the added advantage of all recordings available in one place.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)